Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Nick821

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS Convert
Hose and Coolant Flush TSB for smell issue!!!

Please help:
Anyone have access to the full TSB?
I received my car back today from the dealership after they performed the TSB for the smell issue when the heat is on. Well the smell is still there and maybe a little worse, however I'm giving is some time in case its just a residual smell.

After getting it home I opened the hood and noticed metal filings all over the cross member, fuse box etc (see photos)
I was wondering if the TSB specifies any drilling? Looks to me like the tech must have stripped one of the bolts on the thermostat housing and drilled it out to install a nut and bolt!!!
Attached Images

Nick821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Oh man that sucks! I had/have a feeling the hoses were not the issue; I mentioned that in the other post. I still believe you have a heater core problem.
As for the shavings, I'd march my as back to the dealer and ask them about it, they should have at the very least mentioned it. There is no drilling involved in the hose TSB.

Service Information

2012 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 3284352
#PIP4988A: Objectionable Underhood Odor From The Coolant - Flush Cooling System And Replace Rubber Hoses - (Feb 7, 2013)
Subject: Objectionable Underhood Odor From The Coolant - Flush Cooling System And Replace Rubber Hoses
Models: 2012-2013 Chevrolet CamaroBuilt Prior to June 15, 2012This PI was superseded to update parts information. Please discard PIP4988.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern Some customers may comment on an objectionable underhood odor that is coming from the engine coolant.
The odor is a by-product in the rubber curing process that continues after the vehicle is produced.
The odor is temporary; noticed early in the life of the vehicle; often in warmer climates and is usually gone completely in the first couple of months after production.
Recommendation/InstructionsIf the condition persists, the system should be flushed and the coolant hoses replaced with the updated part numbers listed below.

If this concern is encountered, follow the procedure below to clean the cooling system:
  1. Completely drain the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure. If equipped with a block heater, remove it as well. If equipped, also remove the engine block plug shown below. This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1239x1183 and weights 24KB.
  2. Remove the thermostat and reassemble without the thermostat in place. Refer to SI procedures for the removal procedure.
  3. Fill the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure but instead of filling with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water, fill the cooling system with drinkable water and one bottle of GM Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner. Avoid spilling the solution on the vehicle's finish. This cleaner is in liquid form and contains a neutralizer. Do not substitute other cleaners.
  4. Drive the vehicle for 40-60 minutes with the heat on high.
  5. Stop the engine and allow it to cool.
  6. Drain the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure. Also, drain the engine block by removing the engine block plug. If equipped with a block heater, remove it as well.
  7. Fill the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure but instead of filling with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water, fill the cooling system with clean, drinkable water.
  8. Run the engine for 10 minutes to circulate the water.
  9. Stop the engine and allow it to cool.
  10. Repeat steps 6 through 9.
  11. Drain the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure. Also, drain the engine block by removing the engine block plug. If equipped with a block heater, remove it as well.
  12. Remove the surge tank. Thoroughly clean it with hot water and install it again.
  13. Fill the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure but instead of filling with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water, fill the cooling system with plain drinkable water.
  14. Run the engine for 10 minutes to circulate the water.
  15. Stop the engine and allow it to cool.
  16. Drain the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure. Also, drain the engine block by removing the engine block plug. If equipped with a block heater, remove it as well.
  17. Replace all rubber cooling system hoses following SI procedures.
  18. Install the thermostat using a new water pump inlet seal. Refer to SI procedures for the installation procedure. Important: Only use Premixed DEX–COOL® or a 50/50 mix of DEX–COOL and clean, drinkable water when refilling the cooling system.
  19. Fill the cooling system by following the SI Cooling System Draining and Filling procedure.
  20. Test drive the vehicle, allow to cool and double check the coolant level to complete the repair.
Parts InformationPart Number
Description
All V-6 - HOSE-ENG COOL AIR BL
All V-6 - HOSE-HTR INL
All V-6 - HOSE-RAD INL
All V-6 - HOSE-HTR OTLT
All V-6 - HOSE-RAD OTLT
All V-8 - HOSE-ENG COOL AIR BL
All V-8 - HOSE-RAD OTLT
All V-8 - HOSE ASM-HTR INL & OTLT
All V-8 - HOSE-RAD INL
V8 Engine RPO LSA - HOSE-ENG COOL AIR BL
V8 Engine RPO LSA -HOSE-CHRG AIR CLR COOL
GM Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner
GM Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner (Canada Only)
Warranty InformationFor vehicles repaired under warranty use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
J3540
Flush Cooling System
Use Published Labor Time in Combination with Necessary Straight Time
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Last edited by nyrfan; 04-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Nick821

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS Convert
nyrfan Thanks for the feedback.
If you look at the picture of the thermostat housing you'll see the nut and bolt. I believe they must have had a problem with the bolt into the water pump housing. What really gets me is that they could have blown away the metal shavings and I have not been any wiser.
Nick821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
It looks like the original bolt was replaced with a nut and bolt. The threads in the water pump housing probably stripped out and they drilled through to put the longer bolt in with the nut.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote