Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #29
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
halltech makes some very expensive intakes mainly for the corvette that look nicer than this but cost a lot more. Looks do matter in real life and in a car show, and it also does not seal against the hood with rubber which is preferable to me and others as you may ask yourself does the stock box seal against the hood? I would not own a K&N myself, no a halltech would be better, but yes he was missing seals and that made it look bad and I pointed it out. If we all built our cars the same it would look bad and be boring. And have you all read the dyno print out from apex? Well most likely you all have well heres it old time cousin..... This is the Jannetty racing spreadsheet showing a comparison of different intakes, which also shows when the car pulls timing to retard knock along with peak and average hp and torque gains and fuel trims. This shows that almost hands down the CAI with a scoop is the best out there, not that others cannot be improved apon by the addition of the scoop but look the haltech yellow jacket is right next to the cai with scoop loosing in every category and pulling timing in four rpm ranges and running richer. I have done my homework. And I am a Camaro owner time 2......... And its not hearsay....... here read up......... And yes the cai did out perform the adm with the scoop also. and its not just for looks....and it also compares the CAI without a scoop also which still performs very well and apparently has very nice IAT's as even with out the scoop only pulled timing at 6grand....one time at the top of the rpm right before the limiter kicks in. And who knows what time of day they ran these tests and which came first but I highly think its most likely in order of the stock first in the morning and then progressing on through the day in that which might reflect in the IAT's for the CAI induction being about the same as the halltech which comes after it.......

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...OLD+AIR+INTAKE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0

You will also want to note that the control air intake system for the second test was CAI's with its -5% fuel trim for standard and other original test intakes that did not perform well are not on the second test........ SO also to give the largest number of intakes a test. This is independent and here is the proof. Now yes you can alter others, But admit it , I did my home work.

Last edited by christianchevell; 02-19-2014 at 07:12 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #30
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
halltech makes some very expensive intakes mainly for the corvette that look nicer than this but cost a lot more. Looks do matter in real life and in a car show, and it also does not seal against the hood with rubber which is preferable to me and others as you may ask yourself does the stock box seal against the hood? I would not own a K&N myself, no a halltech would be better, but yes he was missing seals and that made it look bad and I pointed it out. If we all built our cars the same it would look bad and be boring. And have you all read the dyno print out from apex? Well most likely you all have well heres it old time cousin..... This is the Jannetty racing spreadsheet showing a comparison of different intakes, which also shows when the car pulls timing to retard knock along with peak and average hp and torque gains and fuel trims. This shows that almost hands down the CAI with a scoop is the best out there, not that others cannot be improved apon by the addition of the scoop but look the haltech yellow jacket is right next to the cai with scoop loosing in every category and pulling timing in four rpm ranges and running richer. I have done my homework. And I am a Camaro owner time 2......... And its not hearsay....... here read up......... And yes the cai did out perform the adm with the scoop also. and its not just for looks....and it also compares the CAI without a scoop also which still performs very well and apparently has very nice IAT's as even with out the scoop only pulled timing at 6grand....one time at the top of the rpm right before the limiter kicks in. And who knows what time of day they ran these tests and which came first but I highly think its most likely in order of the stock first in the morning and then progressing on through the day in that which might reflect in the IAT's for the CAI induction being about the same as the halltech which comes after it.......

You will also want to note that the control air intake system for the second test was CAI's with its -5% fuel trim for standard and other original test intakes that did not perform well are not on the second test........ SO also to give the largest number of intakes a test. This is independent and here is the proof. Now yes you can alter others, But admit it , I did my home work.
Did you happen to notice that the CAI and ADM were the ONLY intakes tested with a scoop?

Funny how the Haltech showed miniscule knock in 4 of the RPM ranges yet still provided more timing than the CAI, Hmm. I think you have it backwards on the fuel. 12:1 is richer than 12.2:1. So that means at least one of your reasons for picking the CAI is actually false. Just because you can read peak numbers doesn't mean you know how to read what's really going on. All of the similar style CAI's would have picked up quite a bit by adding the scoop. I'd bet that the Haltech would have been just as good, if not better, if a scoop was added.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #31
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
I remember the Camaro5 days when people would post the mods they did, and people would say looks good. I like it. Not bash it right after its posted. Good job OP.
Thats what I thought when I read that post.......I don't like everyone's taste...people don't like mine. But I won't put it in print about looking cheap. I ask some questions..get some answers then ..in the end I buy what I want. Maybe not always the best choices but they are my choices. Op you should have bought a k@n.....sorry had to.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #32
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
I think Christianchevell's intake is ugly and he seems to be one of the most annoying morons I've ever seen on Camaro5. His d-bag personality seems so over the top I would almost think he is trolling everyone. There's always going to be someone out there with a better car. It's the a-hole guys who like to be passive aggressive and throw it in your face for no reason who are the real pond scum. Keep working your ride OP, don't listen to people like Christian.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #33
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Oh back in the day like last year? Lol
When I was on it every single day and looked forward to seeing people's posts. Now it just seems like a bunch of up tight know-it-alls who don't like to offer there help to someone who is TRYING and WANTS to learn.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #34
stealth_grey12

Drives: 2012 V6 1LT RS
Quote:
I know you may like it.... But that kind of looks cheap, there no seal where the tube goes in the box, no insulation, and the tube looks plastic...and it is... And no mine is a CAI intake it did not rev fast in gears, it has a additional scoop to help make a better path for the air to come into the box , not just the same gap as stock with the 1" around the firewall, also a relocate for the windshield wiper fluid filler and tank. I did notice it had a nicer sound to the engine, Just hope you do not have to spray oil on that filter like a K&N. And maybe that seal is supposed to go around the tube you just have stuck in the hole that should have a seal around it!!!!!

My tube is ceramic coated metal BTW and keeps IAT's down
Just curious about the K&N oil comment...Looking at the CAI filter you have there, what do you use to clean and service it? Not trying to jump in the cock fight here, just curious because some of us are on here to learn and read up.
stealth_grey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #35
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:

Just wanted to point out that your post #2 here is out of line. The OP installed his Halltech mod and posted a pic of it. Then you chime in with pics of your C.A.I. and dump all over the OP's Halltech. If you don't wanna give props to someone posting up their new mod, it'd be fine to just not post in his thread.

Not cool. It would be cool for you to congratulate the OP on his new mod, or just read his post without hi-jacking it to tell us all how much better your intake is. You certainly could just post your own new thread on how your C.A.I. rocks without stepping on toes.

So anyway, this is an internet forum, so post what you will here. No biggie, but I'd give you respect for apologizing to the OP for hi-jacking and dumping on his mod.

BTW, your C.A.I. does look nice.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #36
sutherlacd27

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
some people here are complaining because others ridicule his choice...while i know some posts come off harsh but in reality they are helping. If all they said was "looks good" and moved on they would be doing his a disservice. By ridiculing it and pointing out how the tube doesnt have a gasket going into the box to isolate the filter they are helping. Yeah it comes off bad at times but if we all sugarcoated every mod we would never learn. Criticism needs to be looked at constructively. Learn from it don't fight it.

and btw if you think the criticism on this board is harsh try ls1gto...it is straight brutal over there but some of the smartest most helpful guys youll ever find are on that board.
sutherlacd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #37
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherlacd27 View Post
it is straight brutal over there but some of the smartest most helpful guys youll ever find are on that board.
I used to work with a smart car guy who was a dbag. I order my stuff from Jegs even though it costs me more. Terrible attitudes kill business.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #38
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Do your research guys! Cold Air Inductions, ADM and Halltech yellowjacket are making the best intakes performance wise when it comes in average HP/TQ gains. When coupled with the race scoop the ADM and CAI pull ahead slightly.
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #39
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth_grey12 View Post
Just curious about the K&N oil comment...Looking at the CAI filter you have there, what do you use to clean and service it? Not trying to jump in the cock fight here, just curious because some of us are on here to learn and read up.
We have a recharge kit specially formulated for our oiled filter. It consists of a cleaning and oiling solution, here is the link for it: http://www.coldairinductions.com/filter-recharge-kit

It is very important that you do not use a recharge kit from another company on our CAI Inc. filters, people have tried it and had issues. That is why we offer them, we make pennies on them after shipping, the reason we offer them is to properly maintain your filter.

If you have any questions regarding any of our products, feel free to contact us, I would be more than happy to help.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #40
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
AND real funny when the guys who don't even own a Camaro are on here with their comments............ some may say its like a fairy tale............
Not that I need to prove it to ya but.....
Umm yea ASSumptions, the motha of all Fu€$ ups!!
Kooks 1 7/8's, no cats, vararam, tuned, flowmaster with center mount exhaust and for the cute mods i have black chrome wheels.
Cute mod

Even had a GTO!! Blown with a lil maggie.

So here since now we know eachother so well now and you highjacked a thread lol
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #41
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I just use forced air from my air compressor to clean my filter. And I must ignore many young people on here as they are so uninformed, I never meant to be one in the crowd of people who say oh nice...... I usually inform when I can and give info that apparently some think its not good to listen too, like how not to ruin your engine by ignoring the need to break in the cam and springs, and using a good break in oil like this: what I am using..... http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/...ance-products/

They have a nice article on how people now have been ruining their engines right off the bat by not using the the zddp content needed for break in and for the high performance cam.
I also have read things about DIY cam install on here where I posted that there is a need to break in the cam. As it was not mentioned in the post and years later I finally read the post, and the car just limps off to dyno.

I have read about people having oil pumps fail and cam shafts and such and they used mobil one mainly so I posted this:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

And about the CAI, I guess you guys should read other posts on here..... And be objective. As someone else mentioned the ratio of air to fuel was higher, and that's also to take into fact that the car was a negative FIVE fuel trim on the first test and became the standard for the second. I did not mean to insult anyone, I just pointed some things out that apparently others who are on here do not like to hear. Nice pics there lil 88, to bad your a jerk in the last one. You see as Disabled infantry vet I work all day with Jerks in the Penitentiary, as I have been a civil servant for a long time, most likely longer than you have been alive.

I think the O.P. should get a scoop and see if he can move his washer reservoir though I do not know if he can with that big intake. If he can not, well its his choice. I do know why many of us here have chosen the CAI brand and its from the spread sheet, and the looks that matter to us. Taste of course is a personal matter and it would be boring if all of us were the same. I could post old pics of cars I built long ago up to now, but why dig out old photo albums...yes before the digital age, I would have to scan them and post them to photo bucket and just go through a real pain to have them online. The thing is here I never meant to hijack anyones post, I just gave a honest opinion others wanted to attack. And well I can give facts and be attacked for that too I know.

SO what does a real old school hot rodder know, well I know enough to be humble, and may you all be humble, and if not, well Karma will get you. And I like the black SS, it reminds me of my last ss it was black with a rag top, what a pain to keep clean and had to use sunbrella on the top because it rains here so much.

SO here something for you all to think about, I use ls30 now for my oil..........

GM LS Hydraulic Roller Cam Bulletin

Attn: GM LS Engine Owners
Re: Hydraulic Roller Cam & Lifter Failures Due To Improper Lubrication
As the marketplace stretches the power levels of the popular GM LS platform (especially in power adder applications), a marked increase is being seen in hydraulic roller cam lobe deterioration, along with lifter wheel and needle bearing failures. The root issue of this problem is a general lack of understanding about the lubrication needs of this engine platform.
Customers often do not consider the need for either a break-in oil or application specific formula due to the fact that their application utilizes a hydraulic roller cam. Since these LS engines are primarily for street/strip use, a typical customer may use a conventional 20W-50 “Racing Oil” or a similar off-the-shelf lubricant. The engines are thus not broken in with specialized break-in oil, meaning that the proper foundation for valve train durability is never established.
As street applications featuring the LS engine are not typically warmed up before driving, the heavy weight oil (such as 20W-50) is slower in flowing to the hydraulic roller lifters. The result is a lack of adequate lubrication. The LS platform pump and oiling system is designed for 5W-30 viscosity grade oil, so using heavier weight oil actually reduces lubrication and often leads to rapid valve train failure.
Driven Racing Oil™ recommends using BR30 Break-In Oil and LS30 Synthetic Street Performance Oil as a two-part solution to this growing problem.
By utilizing the BR30 Break-In Oil, the proper additive foundation will be introduced into the engine. This is accomplished first by breaking in the LS engine for 30 minutes to one hour much like a customer with a flat tappet valve train would. The customer should then drain the oil and change the filter, install a fresh fill of BR30 and continue to break-in the engine for the next 500 miles.
Due to the use of hydraulic lifters in these engines, it is critical that the oil be changed after break-in to remove the metal particulate created during the process. If these small particles are allowed to stay in the oil system for thousands of miles serious damage will occur.
After the break-in steps are complete, it is time to install the LS30 Synthetic Street Performance Oil, which is a properly formulated 5W-30 motor oil designed specifically for GM LS-based engines. The LS30 oil features mPAO synthetic base oil technology that increases High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) bearing oil film thickness, so the oil flows like a 5W-30 but protects like a 15W-40.
This innovative technology enables LS30 to provide the required viscosity for the LS oiling system and deliver the added protection required for higher lift cams and hydraulic roller lifters.
This two-step lubrication process provides the proper viscosity and additive chemistry for the unique requirements of modified GM LS engines with hydraulic roller valve trains. Properly completing this sequence of steps utilizing both the Driven BR30 Break-In Oil and LS30 Synthetic Street Performance Oil will establish the proper anti-wear film in the engine, remove harmful break-in particles and provide excellent ring sealing.

Or if you have more money than sense....Watch the guys on fast and loud real close when they ruin a engine they put in I think a 68 Shelby mustang form Hertz, they just if they even did... add ZDDP to regular motor oil to try to break the cam in..... It ate the cam and the engine had to get tore out, and if you look at the end when they put the engine back in.......... they use BR30 break in oil after eating a loss.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/...tech-bulletin/

So there you go a lot of internet lies by big oil and my paste and copy. What do I know I was just breaking in cams in the 70's. And built and sold hot rods for a hobby over and over and over. My last three, a 65 impala wagon 12 bolt rear, was original fuelie head 327 car owned by my grandma, I altered it to have a 350/350 all edelbrock , hei, headers, cammed of course and built by me..candy apple red with transam wheels god it looked sweet. Sold it to someone who loved it and still does.

A 71 monte carlo with a 350/400, all the goodies, with 150 louvers in the hood I punched as I was a machinist, had custom high content stainless drip pans to keep the engine dry and custom cowl I made on a plasma CNC table...started a product line with those for my ex employer when I left building aftermarket custom parts for cars.

And a 73 chevelle ss clone, 406 with dart iron eagle heads, 10.5 compression, keith black pistons, and all the goodies it would burn rubber for a block with its shift kit and highway 3.08 gears on huge 295 50's on 15" wheels. The nice thing was jacked up too....lol the only chevelle untubbed that could fit monster meats, yet it was the total odd year out and a real heavy chevy yet always turned heads. I sold it for new appliances for my house after finally buying one at 45 with my second wife, the first one had three kids I helped raise to be adults that cost a lot. I am not into raising kids much anymore. And it takes a real man to step up to be a step dad to pay for others lack of support. Humble is what life has made me, many will never know the path of virtue to humbleness, and that's too bad. I know I do not know it all, but have never willingly led anyone astray here. Or tried to be anything but funny if I can and informative. Have a nice day.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #42
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
So now your throwing out the disabled Vet card hu?
Civil servant? As I do commend you and thank you for your service I too have been a "civil servant" at 18 years old I worked at Statesville correctional center where I saw violence that I will never see in my life, from murders to assaults to Rapes so bad that the other animal had his large intestine hanging out, he was gang raped and they called it a pink sock!
At 21 I started working for the sheriffs dept, 6 years of fighting pretrial inmates (mainly Shitcago's finest citizens, yes Chicago is in my county) until I started working the streets in the fugitive warrants division (yup i was that 6'2" mofo knocking your door down) been in shoot outs and all that fun stuff. I was there 9 years, til I had enough seniority to transfer to Transportation with my partner and now we transport all over our county (we have 13300 inmates in a single site) and pick up warrants all over the state as well. Been here 16 years 17 in September. But I don't throw that around on forums.

You keep copying and pasting stuff, maybe you just don't want to learn new stuff and your hard headed.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote