Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
Wideband O2 Gauges and tuning?

Do tuners actually use a persons wideband O2 gauge in order to help tune the car or do they just go by their narrowband that they place in the exhaust? The reason I ask is I am about to have some work done and my AFR gauge just died on me.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
to do it right yes. I log a/f every time I log.

2010 Camaro
Stock bottom end with 46,000+miles JRE remote tuning Whipple A6 and Drive it to and from the track 9.46@146
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I don't because I don't know if its been calibrated or not.

I like using my own equipment even if the vehicle has the same equipment installed.

I also like that my wideband plugs directly into my HP Tuners interface and records all the data for me.

I don't like leaving the unknowns out there. My NGK/AFX crapped out on me halfway through a Camaro last week, and rather than just place another sensor on it, I broke out my spare NGK/AFX wideband set up, and used it the rest of the day. Then I spent $250 on two new sensors. One for my spare set up, and a spare for my spare lol.

I used to use an LM1 years ago, but it goes through wideband sensors pretty quick so I dumped it and use it as my 3rd back up unit.

I also place my wideband on a separate battery supply so the volts doesn't fluctuate with the RPMs or the wall current.

Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
JHall651

Wideband O2 Gauges and tuning?

So kind of a side question. What typically happens when an O2 sensor goes out? Does it give off funny readings or no readings at all? The reason I ask is out of nowhere mine started reading 9ish at idle and cruising and then leans out a bit to 10.2 and stays at 10.2 until I let off gas. Thing that is weird about that is 10.2 is what it used to read at WOT so that stayed the same. But reading so rich all the time doesn't make sense. I have not changed my tune or modded anything at all and car is running fine with no CEL. I called Innovate because the brain of the gauge is their LC-1 and they said everything including the sensor was reading fine so it must be the gauge.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
JHall651

Bump?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
If they get condensate on them from improper mounting location they can just die. As they age response gets sluggish and they drift off cal. Eventually they quit responding. When you see the response starting to get sluggish, replace the sensor. Lead contamination from fuels makes them die a lot faster. Nothing is cast in stone about any electronic device when it fails.

Those of us that log regularly can compare the narrowband factory O2's to the wb response and keep an eye on them all.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
icemans2k02

Drives: 2005 pontiac GTO 2010 camaro SS
If you have an LC1 you may try fresh air calibration but car has to be off for a few hours or you need to physically remove the sensor. It is a pretty lengthy process. Also like others have said if you don't mount it at the 3 o'clock position condensation and water will build up and cause it to fail prematurely. I used to have to calibrate my LC1 once every 3-4 months before I ditched it and went with AEM unit.
icemans2k02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I've been talking with my prospective tuner and will be using an AEM UEGO gauge with my email tune. He claims he can get it very close without it but recommends a wideband gauge for the best results.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
TuscaniGTSC2

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
I don't because I don't know if its been calibrated or not.

I like using my own equipment even if the vehicle has the same equipment installed.

I also like that my wideband plugs directly into my HP Tuners interface and records all the data for me.

I don't like leaving the unknowns out there. My NGK/AFX crapped out on me halfway through a Camaro last week, and rather than just place another sensor on it, I broke out my spare NGK/AFX wideband set up, and used it the rest of the day. Then I spent $250 on two new sensors. One for my spare set up, and a spare for my spare lol.

I used to use an LM1 years ago, but it goes through wideband sensors pretty quick so I dumped it and use it as my 3rd back up unit.

I also place my wideband on a separate battery supply so the volts doesn't fluctuate with the RPMs or the wall current.

Phil

Interesting concept about using a separate battery supply for the wideband. How big of a difference did you notice when data logging? I have never thought about doing this but it makes a lot of sense.
TuscaniGTSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaniGTSC2 View Post
Interesting concept about using a separate battery supply for the wideband. How big of a difference did you notice when data logging? I have never thought about doing this but it makes a lot of sense.
Widebands use the cars 12-14 volts for the power supply. The voltage is then stabilized and converted with a voltage regulator in the wideband for the electronics. A shop would most likely not power their wideband from the customer's anyways. A shop using their own wideband and power supply would provide consistency, eliminate variables and protect their wideband from any faults from the car's electrical system. Such as excessive voltage spikes or drops and noise.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:08 AM   #11
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
i have a question about the wideband in relation to nitrous oxide systems.

i have a nitrous system setup on my car and the nx maximizer 4 progressive controller connected to it. i want to use a wideband sensor to monitor the amount of a/f readings to see and use it as a safety device. the controller would read if it leans or richens out.

-now my question to you guys is should i power-up the wideband with a seperate powersource such as another battery or use the cars battery? i have never heard about voltage spikes or electrical interference causing the sensor to read false information.

what would provide good results.??
Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall651 View Post
Do tuners actually use a persons wide band O2 gauge in order to help tune the car or do they just go by their narrow band that they place in the exhaust? The reason I ask is I am about to have some work done and my AFR gauge just died on me.
you imply that all shops use narrow band O2 sensors....personally i would not touch a shop that uses a narrow band O2 sensor system. Wide band all the way for me

as Phil said you know your own equipment and if its reliable or not why make the mistake of using a system your not familiar with or trust..also Phil has a back, up and a back up for his back up....all of them he trusts and uses im sure. for me if a shop doesn't have at least two wide bands i would not even considering letting them tune my car...if you want just a dyno run than thats one thing but they still need to log with a wide band IMO
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmoguel View Post
i have a question about the wideband in relation to nitrous oxide systems.

i have a nitrous system setup on my car and the nx maximizer 4 progressive controller connected to it. i want to use a wideband sensor to monitor the amount of a/f readings to see and use it as a safety device. the controller would read if it leans or richens out.

-now my question to you guys is should i power-up the wideband with a seperate powersource such as another battery or use the cars battery? i have never heard about voltage spikes or electrical interference causing the sensor to read false information.

what would provide good results.??
Powering mine straight out of the driver's side dash fuse box. No issues with meter or logging, that I am aware of. To my knowledge, the BCM monitors the cars voltage and will regulate it to the charge condition of the battery and demand of the system. I've measured my voltage and it will vary from about 12.8 to 14.5 volts. The battery will pretty much absorb any voltage spikes and supply for any dips, as well as eliminate most noise. And any of the electronic equipment, wideband, etc, should have a voltage regulator and filter in it to eliminate any issues.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote