Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #99
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I like car and drivers picture of it
Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #100
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
What are your thoughts on alpha track width? Bad thing? No biggie?
Frankly I don't mind it.

I'd be surprised if they picked a coupe that had the same wheel base as the CTS. A Camaro doesn't need that much space.

But width, well that can lead to a roomier car.

Besides you also have to look at how the track is derived. You can do it by simply putting wheels on with a different offset. That drives wider sheet metal and hence a bigger and heavier car. And GM is notorious for making cars that are big on outside and small on the inside, current Malibu for example. It has been soundly hammered for no rear seat room. The fix was less cushion on the rear seat and scallops on back of the front seat.

For every inch in WB or Track, imagine taking an inch of the metal that makes up the car. Basically an inch of rocker, floor and roof panels.

Width will give GM the ability to give the Camaro a more planted, wider look compared to say the ATS coupe, if they use the wider CTS as the starting point.

I don't think it's a big deal.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #101
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
So, what you are saying is that Chevy is telling a fib and providing false information to the consumer ??? Why would they list those curb weights as 3,298lbs for the '14 Corvettes if it isn't true ???
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #102
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
No, what I'm saying is 3500 lbs is not a reasonable estimate for the 6th gen unless GM pulls some magic unobtanium out of thin air.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #103
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
my favorite as well.
looks super cool
danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #104
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
I stated earlier that the 2014 Corvette on the Chevy website lists the weight @ 3,298lbs and someone stated and I quote .... " It's not" ... well then, why would Chevy list the curb weight @ 3,298lbs for the Corvette ?????... is that info correct or is it misinformation ???

in reference to the 6th Gen, I would hope we see some considerable weight loss .... fingers crossed ......
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #105
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
I stated earlier that the 2014 Corvette on the Chevy website lists the weight @ 3,298lbs and someone stated and I quote .... " It's not" ... well then, why would Chevy list the curb weight @ 3,298lbs for the Corvette ?????... is that info correct or is it misinformation ???

in reference to the 6th Gen, I would hope we see some considerable weight loss .... fingers crossed ......
He explained himself a few posts back. He was saying the Camaro with the V8 wont come in at 3500.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #106
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
He explained himself a few posts back. He was saying the Camaro with the V8 wont come in at 3500.
Are there any official weights for the 2015 Mustang with V8? Given that Chevy has gotten its teeth kicked in over the weight of the Gen 5, I would expect it to be comparable to the new GT with IRS

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #107
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Are there any official weights for the 2015 Mustang with V8? Given that Chevy has gotten its teeth kicked in over the weight of the Gen 5, I would expect it to be comparable to the new GT with IRS
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...2015-2090.html
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #108
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Personally, think KMPrdenger already said a few pages back what I could not have said better:

"I'm curious what you think of the 5th gen, and how "retro" you feel it is? I mean...sure it has throwback cues, but as far as I'm concerned it was a bold, current if not futuristic design, and I still feel that way about it. I don't even think the new Mustang has the road presence of a new Camaro. You take the cues out of the design that makes a Camaro a Camaro, or a Corvette a Corvette, or a Mustang a Mustang....then what are they?
So the rumors say the next car will be an evolution of the current car. If true, that means to me it will have some of the same characteristics, but hopefully moved in a great modern if not slightly futuristic-again direction. Is this what you are hoping for too? Couldn't this be called "retro" just as much as the current car? (I'm talking exterior design only by the way)
I guess I just get errked a bit when people say the 5th gen is totally retro. Its a modern take of an icon. What do people expect? Porsche does it, Corvette did it...so should Camaro.
I like what you are saying, and I think GM can build something special too, but the car still needs to say "Camaro" when you look at it. If they can do that, and by some miracle make me fall in love with it as instantly as they did in 2006 with the current car, it will be a grand day."

My opinion only: a few hundred pounds lighter = OK. Smaller in size I question because I still want a 2+2 and would not be interested in a more cramped interior or less trunk space (my Camaro is a daily driver).

When I first saw the 5th gen Camaro concept, as a designer myself, all the parts came together regarding scale, proportion, balance. Unique design, and had to have it, did not have to think about it nor did I care about weight or power. If in the future I consider selling my 5 gen Camaro, the new 6th gen design will be the dominate influence, not power, not more technology.

I find it almost funny when I read posts from younger people on Camaro5 about their love/hate views about 'retro design'. I am in my 60s, starting driving in the golden age of muscle cars in the mid 1960s. Back in the 1960s, what is now called 'retro', those 1960s new and exciting designs were bold and unique in their time compared to other autos of the period (Mustangs, Challenger's, Camaro's, plus Lincoln Mark's, Riviera's, Eldorado's, etc., which were all new and unique at the time). Does anyone currently refer to the current successful "art & design" philosophy of Cadillac as "retro"? No. But take the time and look at the classic 1967 Cadillac Eldorado and tell me the current Cadillac 'art & design' movement is not a little retro when compared to a 1967 Eldorado which was new and unique at the time. I now feel the same about the design of the 5th gen Camaro...bold and unique when it first went on sale in 2009 as a 2010 model. Back in 2009 the 5th gen Camaro did not look like any other auto...still modern and unique styling years later.

Only can hope the 6th gen Camaro does not start to look like a Euro clone.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #109
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Porsche (especially), BMW's, Fords, Audis, Kia, Corvette (since 1968), etc...etc

Chevy has found a highly regarded breakthrough design for the Camaro...that sells and sells. They should let this be their stepping stone for future Camaro designs, letting it evolve from here forward and upward. The Camaro brand needs to be recognizable and identifiable. Don't mess too much with success. The only cars I see drastically changing their looks are Supercar/Hypercars, and even some of them are recently evolving (Lamborghini, Pagani, Aston Martin...)
As long as that evloution in design still plays to Camaro heritage an does NOT follow the "corporate look" that GM is so fond of, i.e. all the chevys or buicks or pontiacs having a similar look to their front and or rear fascias. That is what has ruined the 2014 for me because of the rear tail lights and how they look too much like other Chevy family cars.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #110
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post

When I first saw the 5th gen Camaro concept, as a designer myself, all the parts came together regarding scale, proportion, balance. Unique design, and had to have it, did not have to think about it nor did I care about weight or power. If in the future I consider selling my 5 gen Camaro, the new 6th gen design will be the dominate influence, not power, not more technology.

Right on.

Had to have it.

Lets hope the 6th gen can pull off that "have got to have it" kind of feeling when it is unveiled. The fact that the car will certainly be a better driver's car, with a better interior is icing on the cake.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #111
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
this is what i'd like to see for the 6th Gen Camaro
Give me one in Lemans blue and I'll park it next to my 2010 ABM!

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #112
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I would love to see a 2nd Gen inspired Camaro: an oval grille and no rear quarter windows.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote