Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #323
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
I'd like to Ted A & B The new design and update the spreadsheet, now that the Vararam is out...finally

Inquiring minds want to know
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #324
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Just curious more than anything else, as I sip tea, is that peak or average hp?
12 peak, you should also not testing should be done with the HOOD SHUT to get accurate numbers.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #325
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Hood was closed, before and after.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #326
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
Now its definitely a party.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #327
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
I am not here to debate numbers because there are too many variables, in testing procedures.

We follow very strict testing protocol developed over 30 years of Dyno operations.

The fact is there just is not more than 14 RWHP available from an Airbox change unless your stock filter was very dirty to start.

Ted.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #328
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Dyno numbers should not be why you buy an intake, but rather results from the track. Sometimes mods don't dyno well and perform amazing on the track, i.e. stall converter or vararam intake.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #329
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I am not here to debate numbers because there are too many variables, in testing procedures.

We follow very strict testing protocol developed over 30 years of Dyno operations.

The fact is there just is not more than 14 RWHP available from an Airbox change unless your stock filter was very dirty to start.

Ted.

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm simply sharing my results.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #330
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Thank you sir!!

Too bad really, I wanted the Varanam, I liked the concept like a lot.

Guess it's going to have to now be a CAI with washer relocate kit, but man they get pricey fast.

I already posted a WANTED ad in the classifieds should anyone stumble upon this and need to let one go.
Been running the CAI with the Apex race scoop with washer relocate from day one ,Ted did a hell of a job testing and deserves a lot of credit and thanks .
Old 02-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #331
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Dyno numbers should not be why you buy an intake, but rather results from the track. Sometimes mods don't dyno well and perform amazing on the track, i.e. stall converter or vararam intake.
I'll be testing a ADM Race CAI against a vararam tune model tonight. Looking at manifold pressure and airflow rates mainly, but I suspect the vararam will be better once speed starts to build up. I already ran a test or two with the ADM and around 80 the manifold pressure drops 4-5 kpa vs ambient. If the vararam only drops 2-3 it's making more power at the end of the quarter mile.

I'll have datalogs which I will post in a new thread...

Vararam Hype:

Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 02-02-2017 at 11:05 AM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #332
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I'll be testing a ADM Race CAI against a vararam tune model tonight. Looking at manifold pressure and airflow rates mainly, but I suspect the vararam will be better once speed starts to build up. I already ran a test or two with the ADM and around 80 the manifold pressure drops 4-5 kpa vs ambient. If the vararam only drops 2-3 it's making more power at the end of the quarter mile.

I'll have datalogs which I will post in a new thread...

Vararam Hype:

Drum roll plz.....

and the winner of this particular experiment is???
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #333
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Are there any tests done at the track between the top 2 or 3 best selling cai on camaro5? Anybody?
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #334
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Drum roll plz.....

and the winner of this particular experiment is???
Sadly I didn't have the ADM long enough to do the test I wanted to. But the Vararam holds pressure in the manifold better (seems to be more constant, less jumpy pressure). But the ambient temp dropped a second later to what the IAT was in that run. I did another long the other night and for 7 seconds (top of 1st to the top of third) IAT was lower than ambient by nearly 2 degrees (ambient dropped to IAT around 6k rpm in third). Out of two logs with the ADM, it never hit ambient, even on a 1-2-3 pull.

I'll post the most recent log with the Vararam tonight. Going to do another tonight or tomorrow to see if the heat reflective tape under the intake will help kill some heat soak. Also cleaned the filter and MAF so I'll really see how it can perform now.

Definitely not knocking the ADM. Easily the best built intake for our cars. But OTR intakes just make sense to me.

As far as a winner it's pretty even but the Vararam gains a little more power once you hit third. MAP pressure is 1kpa higher at the top of third... gotta find a spot where I can hit 4th safely...
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #335
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Sadly I didn't have the ADM long enough to do the test I wanted to. But the Vararam holds pressure in the manifold better (seems to be more constant, less jumpy pressure). But the ambient temp dropped a second later to what the IAT was in that run. I did another long the other night and for 7 seconds (top of 1st to the top of third) IAT was lower than ambient by nearly 2 degrees (ambient dropped to IAT around 6k rpm in third). Out of two logs with the ADM, it never hit ambient, even on a 1-2-3 pull.

I'll post the most recent log with the Vararam tonight. Going to do another tonight or tomorrow to see if the heat reflective tape under the intake will help kill some heat soak. Also cleaned the filter and MAF so I'll really see how it can perform now.

Definitely not knocking the ADM. Easily the best built intake for our cars. But OTR intakes just make sense to me.

As far as a winner it's pretty even but the Vararam gains a little more power once you hit third. MAP pressure is 1kpa higher at the top of third... gotta find a spot where I can hit 4th safely...
I am sorry but that is just not possible in bold.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #336
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I am sorry but that is just not possible in bold.
It did actually happened and I've got the log to prove it. Now, I'm not saying my intake is this good, I am suggesting the ambient sensor isn't as fast as the IAT sensor. Maybe it was the humidity causing the sensor to read the drop in temp faster than the ambient sensor, who knows, but this did in fact happen. Also, please read where I said ambient dropped to match IAT's around 6k rpm/100 mph. Sorry you don't get this on your dyno

Was waiting for someone to call me out. I'll post the log when I get home!