Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
csorrentini

Drives: 2010 Orange 2SS/RS
just a thought

currently i have injen CAI and MRT 2.0 installed and love them was thinking of getting shorty headers soonish to compliment it....however im wondering would it be better if i got LT headers and a full catback system instead? i will most definitely be getting that gear change too if it really adds that much torque RW
csorrentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
if you are really wanting to get the gears, and get into racing, I would definitely recommend getting long tubes and catback. Don't forget about the tune as well afterward.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
if you are really wanting to get the gears, and get into racing, I would definitely recommend getting long tubes and catback. Don't forget about the tune as well afterward.
Absolutely, if it is legal in AZ and you don't mind not having your warranty.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Depends what you're after. Certainly the best performance would be to swap out for a cat-back and LTs, but some people believe shortys sound better on this engine. Also, shortys don't NEED to be tuned like the LTs do. They don't throw CELs for the most part (and Doug Thorleys don't throw CELs at all). So the tune is like $600, you're eating the loss on the MRTs, the Cat-back will run you like $800-1200, and the headers another grand or so. That's a whole lot of money when you can pay $300 for a set of DT shortys and be done with it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
csorrentini

no kidding so doug thorleys are better then JBA atm due to CEL issues? i think ill just get shorties for now and gears shortly after will still be pretty nice upgrade
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
definitely get the LT's
Old 10-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by csorrentini View Post
no kidding so doug thorleys are better then JBA atm due to CEL issues? i think ill just get shorties for now and gears shortly after will still be pretty nice upgrade
Depends on what your goal is. I have a daily driver in CA. So I wanted a legal, warrantied, tame V6 that sounds good, with some pop when I want to get on it. The CAI, axel-back, and DT headers work perfectly for that application. If you are a speed demon (besides getting a V8) you should get long tubes and high flow cats. Depends on what you want. If you are still figuring things out, wait and keep researching what you want. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
currently i have injen CAI and MRT 2.0 installed and love them was thinking of getting shorty headers soonish to compliment it....however im wondering would it be better if i got LT headers and a full catback system instead? i will most definitely be getting that gear change too if it really adds that much torque RW
Depends... shorties will definitely complement the exhaust sound you currently have... it will kind of fill out the sound... make it more full... however adding LT which means loosing the stock cats will IMHO completely change your exhaust sound... I love the sound of my MRT 2.0, JBA shorties and Injen... for me the extra HP I might pick up with getting rid of the stock cats and going to high-flows just is not want I want to do do... it's a balancing act between power and sound... just some food for thought..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..considering LTs formore HP, but undecided due to CEL/tune/warranty issues. Shorties for better sound mostly, unless you already have a decent AM exhaust.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
If you're going to go shorties I think your best bet is the Doug Thorleys. I think their gains are just as good as any other and like I said, you won't get a CEL, or at least you would be the first.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
..considering LTs formore HP, but undecided due to CEL/tune/warranty issues. Shorties for better sound mostly, unless you already have a decent AM exhaust.
Don't forget there are still some gains to be had in the low and mid-range. Just not a whole lot up top, which is what we're seeing with most of the bolt ons.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
csorrentini

decided im gonna go with shorties cause i dont have the cash atm for LTs + catback and tune.....not to mention i def want to keep warranty. thx for all the input guys
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Depends... shorties will definitely complement the exhaust sound you currently have... it will kind of fill out the sound... make it more full... however adding LT which means loosing the stock cats will IMHO completely change your exhaust sound... I love the sound of my MRT 2.0, JBA shorties and Injen... for me the extra HP I might pick up with getting rid of the stock cats and going to high-flows just is not want I want to do do... it's a balancing act between power and sound... just some food for thought..
Oh! I always thought the shorties came with some hi flow cats. Then where does the extra power come from on the shorties? The piping is bigger or something? =o
Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
decided im gonna go with shorties cause i dont have the cash atm for LTs + catback and tune.....not to mention i def want to keep warranty. thx for all the input guys
If you are going with the shorties instead of LT because of cash, i would highly suggest you reconsider. Make sure you WON'T regret your decision later on. This was a similar dilenma for me deciding on Catback or Axleback exhausts, because I had very little money.

HOWEVER! You can always save, and I'm glad I saved for the Catback (Took me 2 months to save). It's not a rat race to see who finishes all their mods first. Make sure you know what you want ahead of time. Right now, I don't have money for mods, and I want a lowering solution. Springs would be the cheapest route, but I also take my car autocrossing, so I want Coilovers instead... which are like 3-4 times more expensive, but I'm saving up for it, because I think it will be worth it in the end =D