Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #29
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black On Black On Black View Post
I have to say, about the spamers. You guys do a DAMN good job. I have not seen one accept today in the back corner of the darkest space on this site and he was already banned.
But i was wondering, what do they normally want? are they like advertisement or just annoying people?
The majority of them will have links to other sites hidden in their signature or in their name... Not sure what their goal is other than getting people to click on them...

I counted a 3 day section, and there were about 15 to 18 or them per day that signed up... They sign up, put links or spam ads in their sig and then run around the site in random threads and usually copy someone elses post and claim it as their own...

Spammers are advertising... Trolls are annoying people...

OMG, thansk for the reminder... I got some hysterical stuff to add to the acronym thread...

Oh, and you need to go back and find that spammer so we can delete his post if he is aleady banned...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #30
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Trolls: Pretty much the guy that brings an import to a muscle car day. They just want to be noticed and spoken about.

Spammers: The guys that pass motorcycle show fliers at a carshow/trackday for cars. They hope someone sees it and eagerly heads off to their set up and buys something.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #31
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
I have to say, about the spamers. You guys do a DAMN good job. I have not seen one accept today in the back corner of the darkest space on this site and he was already banned.
But i was wondering, what do they normally want? are they like advertisement or just annoying people?
Well thank you very much!

Yep...advertising. They are adding links hotlinking to their sites...getting traffic. What they will do is usually sign up and like Robert said, copy/paste posts in threads that have hundreds of replies. Absolutely no one would ever know that their post was copied unless it was theirs.

OOH! Let me give you an example.

The tracking thread. Becky tracks cars for our members. Becky suddenly started getting order number after order number to track cars. She looked them up and was like...this is a 2010 Camaro...huh? Why would they ask for that? She noticed these over and over and they had spam links in their sigs. Yep...at first glance, they appear like normal every day members. But, then the post up over and over to get their post count up and then bam...add that spam link to their sig. Now, that spam link is in 15 posts...and gets them traffic for everyone who clicks on it. I HATE spammers....HATE THEM.

I bet I can take a screen shot really quickly on page....random page....43? of this forum. Watch this...be right back...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #32
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
I'm probably at about 70-80. So damn annoying.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #33
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LS
Send a message via Skype™ to The Shadoww
LOL dang! That's a lot! I'll brb, im going to go find the guy that i saw banned. He was posting like random jiberish words if i remember correctly.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #34
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
LOL dang! That's a lot! I'll brb, im going to go find the guy that i saw banned. He was posting like random jiberish words if i remember correctly.
can you click the back button that many times...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #35
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

Ok...got it. Check this out...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #36
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Nope i couldn't find it and got bored. lol
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #37
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

here....look how many spammers on page 43....

check out what they drive and where they live. If they put a full address....SPAMMER! If they drive a BMW and are from the USA, SPAMMER! 9 times out of 10, if they have numbers after their name, SPAMMER! but, this is just to give an idea. if we click on their user info, stuff like this (in blue) shows up and you can immediately tell they are spammers.

Our site is pretty much number 1 on any search engine for Camaros. Camaro5 always pops up...and it's growing so fast, that it's so easy for spammers to find. Pretty crazy...
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #38
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
here....look how many spammers on page 43....
LOL!!!! 2001 Camaro GTI!!!! WHERE I GET ONE!!!!!! lol!
How can you tell that the other ones are spammers though?

EDIT: lol, i always end up back on C5 when i try to do research about our cars off site so i don't sound like such a chicken head asking so many questions!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #39
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
LOL!!!! 2001 Camaro GTI!!!! WHERE I GET ONE!!!!!! lol!
How can you tell that the other ones are spammers though?
Experience....pretty much. But, to make sure so we don't go banning some new random member with no posts, we go to that blue page and see what's by their name and under their sig. You can't see their sig since they have no posts yet...but if we go to that blue page, we can see the sigs and any other info they have all in one place. That will tell us with 99% accuracy whether or not they are spammers. If we are not sure, we leave them...and wait for them to post. 9 times out of 10, one of y'all will see it and report them if they slip through the cracks.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #40
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Hahaha cool. I'm gunna be on the look out now. Eyes pealed! Alright, i'm off to bed. Good night everyone!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #41
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Have a good one.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #42
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1 View Post
This is the only forum that I have ever been on where there are mods who complain because they have to move threads and actually start threads about it.
Oddly enough, I see it on pretty much any forum I've been on. Usually, the bigger (and older) the forum is the more likely you are to see it.

When its someone new, or if the topic could fit into more than one section we don't really mind. But the ones that are blatantly obvious, coming from a guy with 1000 posts ... those are the ones that really irk us.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mods, moved topics