Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Great write up.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
A month or so ago I upgraded my SS suspension with BMR Parts:
  • Pro Cradle Bushings
  • Pro Differential Bushings
  • End Link Mounting Braces
  • Adjustable sway Bars
  • Sway Bar End Links
  • Toe Rods
  • Trailing Arms
  • Driveshaft Safety Loop

I wanted to wait and drive with the mods before I reviewed the changes and attend a Track Day to really understand the difference in the car. I also took a 1,000 mile trip in my SS to Niagara Falls. This car is my daily driver, but since i work from home I am putting on under 10.000 miles per year.

Race Proven Motorsports install the BMR parts. They took their time and I am happy with their work.

I chose not to lower my car. Besides scraping more often lowering springs also hurt you at the drag strip (from what I have read). If later I get more serious I will spring for coil overs (sorry).

I kept my alignment specs stock. Street qualities are more important for me than track qualities

My goals:
  • Less understeer
  • Eliminate Wheel Hop
  • Eliminate rear step-out due to rubber bushing play
  • Feel more in control
  • Improved performance at the track

I was also hoping for a lighter feeling agile car. But I did not think these changes would help on that front. I was right.

I knew I would make some sacrifices. I found:
  • Slightly stiffer and more harsh ride. But long trips are still comfortable.
  • Noticeable drivetrain whine, especially in sixth gear. High pitched but not loud, I am already used to this.

Other than that the handling feel of the car is notably improved. Cornering is much more stable and my SS now handles on a par with my departed 335i. Although the 335 had better steering feel and felt more agile, the cars are not that far apart.

Improvements:
  • Understeer: Big improvement but there is still some left. My Sways are still on the middle setting, my alignment specs are stock, and I am still running staggered stock tires. As I am no track superstar I think some understeer is a good thing for me right now.
  • Eliminate Wheel Hop: I have not been to the strip yet. But I tried a few hard launches and did not feel the dreaded hop. I did launch hard in the rain and the hop was still there.
  • Rear Step Out: Cured!
  • Feel more in control: Yes.
  • Improved Track Performance: While I have no before and after my SS feels at home on the track.

I attended a Track Day at the New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ on the ThunderBolt track. ThunderBolt they tell me is a very technical track, but not all that fast. Sounded perfect for me to learn on.

Early in the morning there was a general driver meeting followed by a raffle. I won a set of Race Ramps!

Myra, my instructor has been racing for nine years, and current races a Miata. She makes a living being an instructor. Getting ready for my first run I discover a flaw in the trakability of the 5th Gen Camaro. If you have a sunroof and you are six foot or more your helmet hits the roof. Track Camaro = no sunroof. After a while I got used to driving with my head cocked sideways.

Myra took the first few laps at the wheel explaining track day etiquette, flag meanings, and the racing lines of the track. She at first we put off by the size of the Camaro. But than as she got more comfortable she started smiling and going faster. Before too long we were running up the butt of a yellow C6 Corvette. She said, "Don't try this at home." I held on for dear life. afterwards she said "Big power, great brakes, no fade. This thing, although huge, can get around the track."

My turn. I was much slower. So slow in fact I had a train behind me for a few laps. After my first session I improved and no more trains. With help from Myra I was able to master sever of the turns. Turn 2 was fun. It is an uphill right hand sweeper. She convince me to stay oak the brake and slowly dial in more poser through the turn, "Trust the car." She said over end over. By the end I listened to her and it became my favorite turn. She also spent the day trying to get to take her Miata racing line through the "Octopus". On my last run I nailed it twice.

By the end of the day only one C6 in my class could catch me and go for a pass. I lapped a couple of cars and ran down a few others. The car was very stable in the turns and I was able to steer through many of the turns with the throttle. In the Octopus I was I was able to rotate the car with the throttle after a strong push on the brake. I felt like a hero. (in the beginner A class, lol.) But in the end I felt like it was as much or more the car as me.

All in all I am very happy with my BMR suspension mods and there will be more tack days and the drags in my future.

Most BMWs were no problem for the BMR SS.

Here the Vette has the correct line. I missed this apex in the Octopus.

Future Plans:
  • Hawk HP Pads
  • 18" Lightweight Wheels with 275s all around
Very important also install either Pedders or BMR steering rack bushing, as well as get those stock Radius rod bushings out and upgraded or get inserts for better steering feel. I upgraded mine and a stock Camaro SS steering feels very vague compared to my setup, just a tip. With this and coilovers your Camaro SS will make that replaced 335 feel like a boat.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #17
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Nice write up. Just picked up my 5th Gen last week. I am trying to be patient by not buying any suspension mods before track day. Get awfully hot down here in SFL, so Sept might be the first one. After that I will do some upgrades. The mods you've done will probably be my first, but I am interested in lowering - so coilovers might be included in the mods.

Like you I work from home, so the car wont see a lot of miles. I do however like how comfortable she is for quick short trips. I test drove a 2011 Mustang GT and felt the stiffer suspension, but that didn't equate to better normal street driving experience. I could also feel a lot less torque, so the SS was the obvious choice for me.

BMR looks like the route I will take for the mods you've done, but I'm still in the coilover research stage.

My car will probably see 5 HPDE and 5 Autocross events a year.
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Very important also install either Pedders or BMR steering rack bushing, as well as get those stock Radius rod bushings out and upgraded or get inserts for better steering feel. I upgraded mine and a stock Camaro SS steering feels very vague compared to my setup, just a tip. With this and coilovers your Camaro SS will make that replaced 335 feel like a boat.
Thanks! I will look into those bushings for phase 2. My phase one was directed at having a stable handling platform. But the more I spend the less likely I will buy the Z28 when/if it comes out. If I put on some Z28 badges will I be a poser?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
what catalog # is good for bmr lowering springs for 2010 v-6 r/s ? ..this car goes maybe once a year to track, otherwise is a driver ..lightly used.i want to fill wheel wells..better look i think..thanks ryd
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
what catalog # is good for bmr lowering springs for 2010 v-6 r/s ? ..this car goes maybe once a year to track, otherwise is a driver ..lightly used.i want to fill wheel wells..better look i think..thanks ryd
Here is the link:

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=produ...d=77&catid=224

Not sure which one.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
Great writeup Fraxum! It's nice to see such a detailed review and the first-hand perspective of your track day will make this a very popular thread. As much fun as you had, I would like to point out a few suggestions that will make your next track day even better.

Sway Bars - As you continue to push your car you will get more comfortable with it. When you are ready to remove the understeer completely and neutralize the car all you have to do is put your rear bar on the stiffest hole (leave the front bar where it is). Our bars are designed so that when replaced together and using the same holes front-to-back, the overall roll stiffness is increased almost equally (slightly biased towards the rear). To effectively remove the understeer completely just stagger the mounting positions so that the rear bar is one setting stiffer than the front.

Alignment - You mentioned that you kept your alignment stock because "Street qualities are more important for me than track qualities". I can understand your thought process however a performance alignment will make a huge difference in how the car feels on the street or the track. If you set your car to our "Performance Street" alignment settings listed HERE, I can guarantee you the car will feel noticeably better and have very minimal impact on your streetability (slightly increased treadwear).

Just one other thing I noticed when looking at your pictures is that the rear sway bar is on upside down. The very slight bend on the outer lever arms mimics the OE curve and should face upwards. This will probably never be a problem on a stock height car but if you ever lower it, the bar can contact the subframe if you don't flip it over.

Again, great write-up and thanks for the feedback!
Today I decided flip the sway bars and tighten up the rear bar while I was under there. I used my race ramps and removing and installing the rear bar was easy with the ramps.

I drove around for a while and took a few curves. No more push! Now i will have to be careful exploring the limits of my SS the next time at the track. But the improved cornering feel is worth it.

Now I wonder. If i do later go to the same size tire front and rear would I go back to the middle sway bar setting?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #22
SS/RS NJ
Chevy/Buick Internet Mgr

Drives: 2SS/RS Victory Red
What group hosted the track day?
Looked like a nice mix of vehicles!
I've been to njmp quite a few times with my bike, but your write up really makes me want to get the camaro down there before the snow comes
MTI Rear dovetail spoiler.
Replaced: 2010 Silver Ice A6 2SS/RS
SS/RS NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/RS NJ View Post
What group hosted the track day?
Looked like a nice mix of vehicles!
I've been to njmp quite a few times with my bike, but your write up really makes me want to get the camaro down there before the snow comes
Track day ay NJMP coming up on Sept. 19th. Same group, Hooked on Driving. They run a good track day:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168682

I might have gone again but I will be in China for work that week.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #24
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Nice write up! Considering BMR myself.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #25
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Nice write up! Considering BMR myself.
just let us know if you have any questions or if we can make any recommendations for you!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
Fraxum

Just took the SS up to the mountains last weekend. The car was a rocket and great fun through the twisties combined with the up and downhill combinations. Big difference from the last time I was up there. I recommend suspension upgrades to anyone on the fence. If you get rid of all the understeer be careful. But you will be glad you did.

Also had some fun practicing my launches. My rear tires are now looking a little worn but no wheel-hop! Amazing.

Last edited by Fraxum; 10-04-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #27
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I was also hoping for a lighter feeling agile car. But I did not think these changes would help on that front. I was right.

Future Plans:
  • 18" Lightweight Wheels with 275s all around
The 18s will get you this EXACT result, I love my 18s.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #28
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Awesome! Glad you are enjoying your BMR Suspension parts.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote