Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
SVT_SRT

Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
2012 Camaro to have Navigation ?

With the interior changes coming in 2012 will the camaro be offering a navigation unit? I just bought a 2010 Tahoe z71 a few days ago and the nav unit is awesome!!! The integration touch screen with my ipod is perfect. I am probably going trade in my gt500 on a z28 when it comes out and Im hoping for a nav.

Any thoughts appreciated!

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
I've got my fingers crossed that it's available as an option.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Keep your fingers crossed but don't hold your breathe....

A NAV would require a complete re-design of the factory radio and that thing controls alot of stuff. My guess would be they aren't going to do it but I could definately be wrong.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
I think that is the main reason for doing interior re-design. Besides, navigation systems are very profitable options for car makers.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
BWProductions
StormTrooper

Drives: SW 2SS/RS Vert with Beige top soon
I HOPE!! that would be great!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
cam fan

Drives: fast
so here we come (i will start) - I wonder if the older models can upgrade by changing out the center unit. Or are they going to OnStar App us and say, sorry its a 2012 exclusive.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
ClassicGeneration

Drives: Custom
If you have a 2010 or 2011 Camaro upgrading to touch screen is no problem.

Just converted my Camaro to have a Touch Screen 7" Nav unit. Its sweet. It makes the interior!

Not trying to run a sales pitch here but for those of you interested my company is doing conversions. We are located out of the DFW area of Texas.

Here are the details.

The conversion we are doing will allow your ONSTAR to work as before. The ONSTAR NAV will still operate but with the exception of showing all the data on your cluster between the Speedo and Tach since the factory radio is going away.

Some of the additonal features that you can upgrade are Reverse view Camera , hands-free telephone via bluetooth (great if you purchased an LS or non-optioned Camaro), IPOD control is much better (another + if your car did not come so equipped), watch DVDs, TV option, Sirius or XM, and much more.

The only pitfall I found is that you can not transfer the XM radio service that comes with the car. Basically you just add new service to the aftermarket unit. If you purchased a lifetime subscription for your factory unit it can not be transferred to any unit according to Sirius. They tell me however that when you purchase service on aftermarket units it can be transferred to new "aftermarket" units with no problem, even for lifetime subcriptions.

The factory radio and bezel with all the AC controls are removed and a new bezel that compacts the controls to push buttons is installed. This kit allows the LAN BUS controls to operate a 12V aftermarket system.

COST..well its about what you would expect to pay for this option on some new cars. The basic system is about $2K which gives you Intergrated NAV, AM, FM, CD, DVD, and IPOD. The other options only increase the cost slightly. An XM or Sirius Module, Reverse view Camera, or TV unit purchased seperately. The system we offer is a Kenwood DNX7160 but that can be modified to other brands. We do have professional install and do not use refurbished componets. I welcome any questions..

Pic not so good but the best I can do at 20,000 feet. On my flight out to SEMA.

ClassicGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
LEADfoot927

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP
If there is nav please dont let it be ran by on-star. They will try to charge us an extra $200 a year for navigation that is already installed.
LEADfoot927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
ClassicGeneration

Drives: Custom
This system is run by Garmin and offers life time traffic. Thanks.
ClassicGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
I must be the only guy here that thinks $2100 for in-dash nav is a rip-off. Had it in a Caddy and in my last Tahoe (2007) and bought a Enclave instead of a LTZ Traverse to avoid it. Onstar nav works well for me.

I feel a $150 Garmin -- or a Droid -- gives you better versatility for less money.

If they put it in a Camaro, hopefully, it's an option so you can avoid the cost and big screen in the dash!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
$2000 for factory nav..... I'd rather get lost in a Camaro and ask for Directions!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
xLoGiK1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
$2000 for factory nav..... I'd rather get lost in a Camaro and ask for Directions!
+1, it's just not worth it. I rather spend that money on the factory GFX or other cosmetic mods.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
I just bought a 2010 Tahoe z71

dude, such a sick ride. seriously. i had one of those for 4 days as a rental (back before the camaro so different year) and loved it so much i almost bought a used one instead of the camaro. enjoy it
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Personally, I'd rather have the turn-by-turn arrows on the HUD, but I guess a lot of you like to pay a lot of money to look down at a little screen. To each their own.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote