Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Custom Sub enclosures designed for our new Camaro?

Hey guys, im not going to spring for the MTX sub dealer accessory. But I want a decent sub in the trunk to add a little punch to the music.

Im curious if anyone knows a company that may already be making prototypes of custom enclosures for the purpose of saving space in the trunk.

Im thinking that the best place for a sub is in the rear most (closest to the bumper) and passenger side corner of the trunk. It'd be nice to save as much usable space in the trunk as possible, but still have a extra umph for the stereo.

Any ideas?

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
+1
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
JDBeck23

Here's some info on the "Thunderform" enclosure that MTX makes for mustangs, looks like the best idea I've seen so far. I sent MTX an email asking them if they're planning on making an enclosure for the new Camaro.
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...ST05_specs.pdf

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
i'm sure some company will come out with one fairly soon, but i do know that for the best sound you need to have the sub facing the rear of the car, backed up against the rear seat. also for a single sub in a sealed enclosure its not really that big and should fit nicely in the back(closest to cabin) corner, so you can use a typical mdf box
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
Hey guys, im not going to spring for the MTX sub dealer accessory. But I want a decent sub in the trunk to add a little punch to the music.

Im curious if anyone knows a company that may already be making prototypes of custom enclosures for the purpose of saving space in the trunk.

Im thinking that the best place for a sub is in the rear most (closest to the bumper) and passenger side corner of the trunk. It'd be nice to save as much usable space in the trunk as possible, but still have a extra umph for the stereo.

Any ideas?
Go to http://www.********.com/acamaro.htm They make sub enclosures specifically for the Camaro and Corvette. I have the 2x12 rear well enclosure in my '97 and the quality and SQ are insane from a sealed enclosure.
The owner has posted information as to the status for new Gen5 enclosures to come. They're a great company and the prices are dead on, my box ran about $300 shipped.

Last edited by dvnt88; 05-19-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling fubar. ")
dvnt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
JDBeck23

UPDATE. MTX has stated via email to me that they will ONLY be making the factory accessory enclosure "custom" for the 5th Gen Camaro. So basically, no Thunderform single sub enclosure. Quoted email below.

MTX,

I have been a fan of your Thunderform vehicle specific
enclosures for a while. I am soon to purchase the new 2010
Camaro SS and im curious if you guys are developing a
Thunderform setup for the new Camaro?

I hope you will consider at least looking into the
possibility. The new Camaro comes with a pretty oddly
shaped and sized trunk, so for those wanting to save as much
space as possible while still adding a subwoofer will be
extremely limited on what they can do. And I believe your
thunderform product would be an easy sell to a new Camaro
owner that didnt want to give up most of his trunk space.

Thanks,
Jesse

Their response

mtx is working with chevy, and has designed an enclosure specifically for the 2010 camaro, sold exclusively at the chevy dealerships. you can request one for your vehicle at the time of purchase.

Side note: JL Audio also makes "Stealth" boxes, they are top notch, and carry a top notch price... but their site doesnt list any intentions for the 2010 camaro.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
Old 05-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
JDBeck23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvnt88 View Post
Go to http://www.********.com/acamaro.htm They make sub enclosures specifically for the Camaro and Corvette. I have the 2x12 rear well enclosure in my '97 and the quality and SQ are insane from a sealed enclosure.
The owner has posted information as to the status for new Gen5 enclosures to come. They're a great company and the prices are dead on, my box ran about $300 shipped.
That looks VERY promising! Great find!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
That looks VERY promising! Great find!
Anytime, All my Camaro buddies use the ******** boxes and have never heard a single complaint. A friend at work just got the 10w7 box for his Corvette and it sounds unfrickin' real. Sounds like he's runnig 2 12's instead of the singe JL 10w7.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
billy77

Drives: none
I have had many subs but JL audio is the best for sound quality and space savings. I will be putting a 12w6v2 in my camaro when I get it. If your looking for space saving look at the JL tw5 a 13.5 inch sub that is only 2.5 inches thick and only needs .8 cubic feet for a enclosure. I have seen only the internet that people have put these subs on the ceiling to save space.
billy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy77 View Post
I have had many subs but JL audio is the best for sound quality and space savings. I will be putting a 12w6v2 in my camaro when I get it. If your looking for space saving look at the JL tw5 a 13.5 inch sub that is only 2.5 inches thick and only needs .8 cubic feet for a enclosure. I have seen only the internet that people have put these subs on the ceiling to save space.
What are your thoughts on cost for that project??? Thanks
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
your best bet would be jl audio mtx sucks sounds like crap very distorted me i would go jl or hertz. they can make small enclosures and sound great. me well my shop is going to do a whole custom job some how i will show pics when done
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
JDBeck23

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy77 View Post
I've seen the JL 13TW5, looks awesome and great reviews. This will probably be the way that I go, but im hoping to find an enclosure that will sit in the corner of the trunk, and face the speaker either to the opposite quarter panel, or angled further. I dont want a box that will sit the speaker flush with the trunk bottom and point it up. I dont want to have to worry about things rolling down and on top of the speaker. But the 13TW5 will probably be the way that I go.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
billy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestanda View Post
What are your thoughts on cost for that project??? Thanks
Probalby around $1000 just for sub and a good amp, will be cheaper if you go to ebay. It sounds alot but the results will be wearth it. Is"t that mtx enclosuer $800?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
billy77

Quote:
I've seen the JL 13TW5, looks awesome and great reviews. This will probably be the way that I go, but im hoping to find an enclosure that will sit in the corner of the trunk, and face the speaker either to the opposite quarter panel, or angled further. I dont want a box that will sit the speaker flush with the trunk bottom and point it up. I dont want to have to worry about things rolling down and on top of the speaker. But the 13TW5 will probably be the way that I go.
Any good stereo shop will be able to fiberglass any enclosure you want with better results than the manufactured enclosures.