Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #71
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
You just proved you DON'T act older than those 10 years older than you with that response! Look up the definition of opinion, then maybe you'll be a little more educated.
If you say so but I came back with an intelligent argument and all you reply with is a 'Ha, I told you so!' It was all just my opinion anyway, so how could it be wrong? I repeat my previous post to this response.. GL in life.

OP, good luck with your purchase and don't let those more immature talk you out of it even if you have to wait for full time.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #72
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
If you say so but I came back with an intelligent argument and all you reply with is a 'Ha, I told you so!' It was all just my opinion anyway, so how could it be wrong? I repeat my previous post to this response.. GL in life.

OP, good luck with your purchase and don't let those more immature talk you out of it even if you have to wait for full time.

Hmm, never said "Ha, I told you so." And if you think that was an intelligent argument, you must be less educated than I thought. As far as GL in life, I've had a very good life, self-made, no luck needed. You, on the other hand, are in for a rough ride with that head on your shoulders.

Last edited by MYDLIFECRISIS; 12-25-2012 at 06:51 PM.
MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #73
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
Hmm, never said "Ha, I told you so." And if you think that was an intelligent argument, you must be less educated than I thought. As far as GL in life, I've had a very good life, self-made, no luck needed. You, on the other hand, are in for a rough ride with that head on your shoulders.
Well that's just rude man. We may be arguing but I still try to leave in kindness and tell you to have a happy life and that's how you act? Seriously, grow up.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #74
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Well that's just rude man. We may be arguing but I still try to leave in kindness and tell you to have a happy life and that's how you act? Seriously, grow up.
Ok, I appologize.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #75
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I don't know man... I'm not sure you're ready for an SS. Four years of driving in a Golf 5K miles a year does not prepare you for something like a SS. The SS is MUCH larger and heavier than the Golf and visibility all around is greatly restricted compared to a Golf.

Also, the power of a SS is potentially very dangerous in the hands of someone who's used to being able to floor it in traffic. And SS's don't like to putt around like a "l'il old lady" is driving. They are built to run hard and they like it that way. Even the V6 Camaros 2-1/2 times the HP that you're (somewhat) used to. And the roads are usually wet from rain where you are? What would you be driving in the snow?

Lastly, mostly just out of curiosity, you say "My previous car was a manual FWD 2002 Volkswagen Golf 2.0". What happened to it? What are you driving now?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #76
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
For 1 to 2 years I sat and did the autotrader, carsoup, cars.com, craigslist, to name a few. The cheapest 1 to 2 year old SS I could find was a year old not much for options SS at just over $28K, wished I would have bought that now. The 2010 SS may now be cheaper but when I was looking I prefer I buy slightly newer used and mileage under 20k.

When you get your job and are set to buy a V6 or V8 just make sure you have done your homework on what insurance and financing will cost before you buy, you done test drives so you know what you like. Someday I will likely own an SS but until then I don't mind the power and the sound of the V6. Good luck with your choice.

Dean.
That's also a problem, in my zip code there are 2 (2010) SS that are $25,7xx but both have over 40k miles! For that price I could get a completely new V6 with a full GM warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSS_ View Post
i say go for a ZL1 lol jk

make the decison that's right for YOU....not anyone on here.
haha I wish my question would have been "SS or ZL1?" And yea I do want the SS but I do have to be realistic with what I can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadieWingZ View Post
Drive both a V6 and V8, then decide. You'll save upfront money getting into a V6 versus a comparable V8, payments will be lower, insurance wiil be lower, and youll save a bit on the fuel cost as well. I thought V8 was only way to go too, until I test drove both and ran the math on costs as you've done. Many reasons to go either way and only you can decide what works for you. I personally decided V6 was my choice all around. Still get a nice rumble inside the ****pit with a different cadence but still let's me know she wants to run. Sits me back nicely in the seat when I open her up using my 6spd manual tranny and getting almost 30mpg cruising at 70mph so no complaints in the economy or performance departments.

Good luck to you on whichever direction you go. Neither choice would be wrong IMHO.
Yea you can't beat 30 mph on such a nice car! Its a tough choice, but it gets clearer and clearer everyday, and I'm happy with it! 6 months ago I would have never thought I could get any version of the gen 5 Camaro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Instead of getting a car later this summer....my advice would be wait an extra year, save up more to have a bigger down payment, and look at a 6th gen when they come out.
Oh believe me, waiting for the V6 is REALLY tempting

Quote:
Oooo.. part time? What kind of bring home? I can't imagine taking on my bills with part time.. but the camaro is my smallest payment.
Aside from a car in the future, I would basically have to pay some college (community college), school supplies, 1/2 of cable/internet so its not that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
I'm telling ya...snoop around and find a dealership with an 11 on the lot that has an LS3. The dealership I bought mine from couldn't move the one LS3 they had, everyone loved it, but they all were afraid of it. Salesmen had such trouble every other Camaro was auto, they wouldn't order anymore manuals plus people were coming in for the 12's and the 13's so they were eager beavers to move that 11 LS3 and the price was very cool.

The reason why this is such a good idea is because even if you decide on a V6 it's easy to locate dealerships that are itching to get rid of a trade in or a new car that has been hanging around for too long. You don't even have to ask for a specific model, just stick, and see what they say. You don't have to buy a manual but feel out what they have to move.

Considering the info you gave that is a nice way to possibly find a car you otherwise might not be able to get.
I also think that's a plus point for me! I am NOT getting an automatic, so hopefully they do have some manuals they want to get rid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Sorry Sspolo but I totally agree with K32 here. My payments are about $100 less then yours will be and my insurance is much lower then yours will be with an SS and there is NO WAY I could afford an SS with only a part time job and my car is the ONLY bills I have right now. You have to remember, gas, insurance and monthly payments are not the only things you have to pay for when you own a car.

Most places classify a part time job as being between 20-25 hours a week. Depending on how much you will be making an hour, I don't see you bringing home more then $150 a week, or $600 a month. Insurance alone of someone your age will take more then half of that plus a $400 car payment.
Consider me lucky, but the minimum in Washington is 9.04, or Oregon 8.50 (I believe)! And the jobs I've been looking at pay a bit more than that and I would be working 30 hours (customer service , it sucks but the pay is good and they work with me on school schdule)

Although the last thing I want to do is be completely in debt for something I don't actually need. So I will be working a few months to know how much I make and how many miles I drive, just to make the best choice.

I do hope I can find or give a large enough down payment so my car payment is not anywhere near $400!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I don't know man... I'm not sure you're ready for an SS. Four years of driving in a Golf 5K miles a year does not prepare you for something like a SS. The SS is MUCH larger and heavier than the Golf and visibility all around is greatly restricted compared to a Golf.

Also, the power of a SS is potentially very dangerous in the hands of someone who's used to being able to floor it in traffic. And SS's don't like to putt around like a "l'il old lady" is driving. They are built to run hard and they like it that way. Even the V6 Camaros 2-1/2 times the HP that you're (somewhat) used to. And the roads are usually wet from rain where you are? What would you be driving in the snow?

Lastly, mostly just out of curiosity, you say "My previous car was a manual FWD 2002 Volkswagen Golf 2.0". What happened to it? What are you driving now?
Yes, some people say the SS is a beast, but others say its nothing out of this world (it might be that they are used to powerful cars) So I will probably test drive an SS since I don't more power than what I can handle.
It does appear that I will get a V6 and I'll go from there

As for the Golf, I moved from where I lived and ended up selling it. I've never been in an accident even though I lived in a place where aggressive driving was the norm. Right now I don't have a car, been around 6 months without driving.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #77
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
Yes, some people say the SS is a beast, but others say its nothing out of this world (it might be that they are used to powerful cars) So I will probably test drive an SS since I don't more power than what I can handle.
It does appear that I will get a V6 and I'll go from there
Well, take your time and do your homework on any cars you are considering. Just remember... even the V6 is "a beast" compared to a Golf. Just be safe and careful driving, and smart in your buying decision.

You're 22 with (really) very little driving experience, but you seem to be thinking this through pretty well. Right now you need basic, reliable, economical transportation at a reasonable price. There's plenty of time in your future to upgrade without breaking the bank or putting yourself up to your neck in debt.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote