Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
DriveshaftShop is now testing a new 31 spline Tran. output shaft

We here at The Driveshaft shop have finished a prototype for the 6 speed manual main shaft for the 2010 Camaro. This is made from aircraft quality certified 4340 material that has been specially heat treated then tempered and is the strongest main shaft available to date for the car. what we have done is made it with a larger 31 spline on the output (up from the stock 28) we have machined a spot for a roller tail bearing like the CTS-V or Mustang units so its supported on the tail like it could have been fromt he factory. for those who dont know the Camaro tail case was already designed for this (machined for the bearing seat and snap ring) it was designed with a custom flange so a CV could be mounted on the back of the trans. (may also supply flange/u-joint mount) the reason for the Cv is have recently taken delivery of a new balancer that lets us balance shafts at real rpm ranges (we can spin a 17lb shaft to 9500rpm) in testing at higher RPM we have found the CV to be superior over sliding spline/slip yoke designed shafts.This part is only being tested now and not ready for production, we thought you might like to know what were have been up to lately. So for you gentleman that have one of the early pre-25000 production numbered cars there could be a better solution down the road . Now that there is a 9" rear out we believe this will be the next weak link......

The test fit and car selection will be done by Rodney and Tj at RPM transmission, it may take some time to get the results but we wanted to let you know were committed to the cause....

Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
We here at The Driveshaft shop have finished a prototype for the 6 speed manual main shaft for the 2010 Camaro. This is made from aircraft quality certified 4340 material that has been specially heat treated then tempered and is the strongest main shaft available to date for the car. what we have done is made it with a larger 31 spline on the output (up from the stock 28) we have machined a spot for a roller tail bearing like the CTS-V or Mustang units so its supported on the tail like it could have been fromt he factory. for those who dont know the Camaro tail case was already designed for this (machined for the bearing seat and snap ring) it was designed with a custom flange so a CV could be mounted on the back of the trans. (may also supply flange/u-joint mount) the reason for the Cv is have recently taken delivery of a new balancer that lets us balance shafts at real rpm ranges (we can spin a 17lb shaft to 9500rpm) in testing at higher RPM we have found the CV to be superior over sliding spline/slip yoke designed shafts.This part is only being tested now and not ready for production, we thought you might like to know what were have been up to lately. So for you gentleman that have one of the early pre-25000 production numbered cars there could be a better solution down the road . Now that there is a 9" rear out we believe this will be the next weak link......

The test fit and car selection will be done by Rodney and Tj at RPM transmission, it may take some time to get the results but we wanted to let you know were committed to the cause....

Sorry if I misunderstood, but what did GM do to address the post-25000 VIN folks? I thought the initial problems were caused by a Q&C issue with the shaft, not implementation.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Now I just need to find the company that does tr6060 faceplating and it will be a good trans.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Driveshaftshop

The original shafts were not heat treated properly and were only a 28 spline on the output, the rest of the shaft is gigantic. The reason we have decided to make this part is because the rear diff is the weak link now. push too much power and you will break the rear. change it to one of our 9" kits or similar and your pushing it. After the rear stops breaking we strongly feel in a 6 speed car the smaller 28 spline output with its hard edge (i'll post a factory shaft tomorrow) will be the next weak link if you look at the output end on our custom made shaft the spline is about the same size of the rest of the shaft. the Stock is a full 3 splines smaller and doesn't have a descent radius at the transition. This is not for everyone and were aware of this, its for the 6 speed that's is going to push it to the limit.....
Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
My vin is pre 25. Don't know if my output shaft is heat treated properly or not. How long does the defective shaft last on a car that driving with enthusiasm. How much power can a proper output shaft take?
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Driveshaftshop

On the bad shafts we have seen factory stock cars break them, as for the "good ones" all i can say is when the diff stops breaking it will find its next weak link. there are some pretty powerful cars out there with stock trans shafts but like everything the driver has a lot to do with how the car will stay together or how fast you want to make it.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
dibs on being a test fit car. lol.

if not... rough idea on price would be nice.... i'm a pre 25000 car and I'm known to break drivetrain parts. lol.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
jamnutz

Drives: 02 Formula/2010SS/many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
dibs on being a test fit car. lol.

if not... rough idea on price would be nice.... i'm a pre 25000 car and I'm known to break drivetrain parts. lol.
I can be a test fit car too, hell I've got a trans with a broken main shaft sitting in a GM TR6060 shipping box ready to go. Don't even have to take my car off of the road, just put the new parts in the trans, then do the swap. We are getting good at pulling the TR6060 on my car. On the lift, with air tools, and trans jack, we are able to get it out and back in quicker than it takes to gather up all the tools, and clean & put the tools back up. LOL
1991 GMC Syclone Built motor, big turbo, meth
99 Z28, Futral built stock CI LS1, TFS 215 heads, Fast 102/NW102, NX fogger, full suspension including anti roll bar, custom Rossler 4L60 with hybrid Auto/Manual VB, AC, just your every day 9 second street car.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4A141oh_jo
New Project 90 Fox Body, LS1 Swap X-275 Race car. Shootin for the 4's.
jamnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
On the bad shafts we have seen factory stock cars break them, as for the "good ones" all i can say is when the diff stops breaking it will find its next weak link. there are some pretty powerful cars out there with stock trans shafts but like everything the driver has a lot to do with how the car will stay together or how fast you want to make it.
Do the post-25000 VIN tremec's have a rear support bearing? This is more of an RPM question, but do you know off-hand if their different stage 4/5 replacements include the rear bearing support?

I'm finished with my first stage DD street/strip suspension. Looking at axles, diff, clutch, tranny, and driveshaft for my FI LS3 when I break parts. Close to 600hp with KB. I may take preventative measures with axles and Jennetty's cap and posi upgrade. These are relatively cheaper alternatives than a 9" or 12-bolt swap since I do not plan for +600HP. Address clutch and tranny if either one goes since better to hit both while tranny is pulled.

What are tranny upgrade options between post-25000 OE and RPM stage 4/5 rebuilds?

Many generalizes when you get close to 600hp, look to upgrade. With PD blowers, you got a lot of low end torque. Based on autoX and very rare strip, use OE until it breaks due to deminishing returns for minor strength upgrades in drivetrain?

Is this line of reasoning sound for a very limited drag, some AutoX DD FI car?

This is for my re-education and practicality purpose. Got budgeted funds left for incremental drivetrain upgrades. Rest goes to O&M(tires, brakes, etc) Don't want to upgrade unnecessarily. I'm not an aggressive street driver. Damn GM for re-releasing the camaro...

Thanks.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
know the guys at rpm pretty well...gonna need a much stronger trans for next year...get this working soon. I heard about this main shaft last November so like some time in the next two years would be nice to see it out hahaha
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedyards86 View Post
know the guys at rpm pretty well...gonna need a much stronger trans for next year...get this working soon. I heard about this main shaft last November so like some time in the next two years would be nice to see it out hahaha
stfu fran

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
subscribed......I am in line for a problem Vin 8874...700+ rwhp and torque.
will take car anywhere for testing.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Driveshaftshop

As i said guys the test car is not my call. its only my output shaft. it will be there trans (RPM) and time to install the part in it. how many people have broken then
running at the track and how may have you broken >
Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
Driveshaftshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedyards86 View Post

Actually they have been done for a little bit i have just been busy with a few other projects and just didn't finish it. we have 5 of them now but will only be testing one to start, as any machine shop know the 1st one is the hardest, after that its a material and time thing so getting more after its proven will a short wait.