Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #183
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
For garnet red, 1 sentence sums it all up: "Pictures do NOT do justice to the color". In person it actually looks fantastic, and I wasn't even the one picking the color... My wife did. I was just gonna get a white one with black leather but I told my wife she gets to pick the interior/exterior colors of my next car and she did. I am so glad she did though lol. Garnet red in the shade looks different and in the sun it looks different too. If you have time, call up your local Caddy dealership and see if they have an ATS with "RED OBSESSION TINTCOAT" it is THE same color as garnet red so you can see it in person. SSport16 takes all the credit for what I just said because he was the one telling me to go check it months ago when I voiced my concern about the garnet red way before I took delivery. So I went to a Caddy dealership here and man... it looks great. I dare to say it looks even better on the camaro due to being a coupe and lower overall height than the ATS sedan I looked at.

Alright now the exhaust part which some will want to stone me to death some would put me on a peddle stool. From all my years of dabbling in modding cars and all... I have definitely learned that exhaust out of all things is completely personal. I CAN and WILL give you what I think which will NOT be the case for X Y Z people. So please bare that in mind. This is completely MY opinion of it haha.

To begin with, I hate obnoxious loud exhausts... It ruins the car for me with the drone and extreme loudness. Been there done that, which is why I went with NPP this time around for a little bit of a more growl than stock but I am NOT finished. While NPP is FANTASTIC I do want a bit more growl thus I will be grabbing an Xpipe, most likely borla BUT who knows, corsa might sound better for me or even flowmasters... It is all about testing and seeing which one I like. Installing an xpipe will take me 15 minutes so it is not an issue for me testing many xpipes to find the perfect sound for me. The reason why I want the xpipe is so I can get rid of the 2 unmonitored cats the xpipe has and leave the 2 cats on the car still, not for "environmental" purposes but to keep the car still somewhat quite. My buddy as I have mentioned before has a '14 c7 z51 and he went the same route that I am going. NPP is great but LT1 deserves a bit more of a growl thus he tested about 4 xpipes and we decided to go with borla as it sounded the best FOR US and now the c7 sounds amazing. Still damn quite if you just wanna hit cruise control on a road trip or you have a headache... And still sounds fantastic when you open her up.

I am a HUGE supporter of NPP... My reasons being is due to logic. How? NPP costs 895 sounds better than stock, not obnoxious, just right sounding with a little bit of restriction but that's due to headers/xpipe and NOT the catback itself. So... GOOD LUCK finding a catback THAT quality with butterflies for THAT cost. A catback without NPP you are still looking at 1200+ and 1600+ WITH npp. So 895 sounds damn great now doesn't it? lol.

When you are rolling down the highway with windows down, you really cannot hear the exhaust note at all... Due to mainly I am in wichita and it is always windy lol but an xpipe will fix that. However, just driving in town between 0-45/55mph/whatever the speed limit is the sound is great. I am only at 780 something miles so still in the break-in guidelines and haven't opened the LT1 up at all. Haven't seen above 4k rpm yet and I am sure it will be totally a different car as all v8s do... You hit 4k rpm in a v8 it becomes a different beast lol. So... I will be keeping my NPP for sure and adding an xpipe. That will fix it all for me!

As a side note, I was back in Dallas yesterday... Picked up a 2013 Malibu Eco for DD/Winter AND my black bowties for the Camayro arrived as well! I will post the pictures of the bowties while holding them up next to the stock gold ones. There is a tiny chrome trim around the black bowties which I thought would look horrible on the car (I absolutely HATE chrome) but after holding it up on the car where the current bowties are... It actually looks great!
I didn't know the stock X pipe contained its own cats/resonators (at least I'm assuming they are resonators instead of cats)...so that is good to know. If you end up doing this swap, please do us all a favor and do a before and after video with revs, and standing about 10 feet back.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #184
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
the upside to the NPP is it is kind of tunable. the new versions have the baffles open at idle and then close it down at cruise and such. it can be rewired to close the flap if you go longtubes or no cats to mellow it out at cruise.

that being said I don't like the overall sound of the NPP as well as others. on my Zl1 once I did longtubes with no cats the NPP was over the top so I wired it so it was stock and then closed at all times with a mild to wild. So you had you "holy$%^" setting if you wanted everybody to come up and ask you what exhaust you had and a livable aggressive sound.

youtube is your friend here. every exhaust known to man is one it.

I lived with the NPP on my Zl1 but I was really pondering the stainless works retro chambered setup at one point because to me it sounded better but that is subjective.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #185
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I didn't know the stock X pipe contained its own cats/resonators (at least I'm assuming they are resonators instead of cats)...so that is good to know. If you end up doing this swap, please do us all a favor and do a before and after video with revs, and standing about 10 feet back.
Oh you KNOW I will be doing that. I am mainly waiting for the xpipes to be released and all so I can do a stock w/ npp vs xpipe w/ npp start up and drive by vids. I'll even add a small review of the products that I will testing with pictures for the easiness of install to the weight vs stock. Some fit like a glove others do not so it would be good to write it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
the upside to the NPP is it is kind of tunable. the new versions have the baffles open at idle and then close it down at cruise and such. it can be rewired to close the flap if you go longtubes or no cats to mellow it out at cruise.

that being said I don't like the overall sound of the NPP as well as others. on my Zl1 once I did longtubes with no cats the NPP was over the top so I wired it so it was stock and then closed at all times with a mild to wild. So you had you "holy$%^" setting if you wanted everybody to come up and ask you what exhaust you had and a livable aggressive sound.

youtube is your friend here. every exhaust known to man is one it.

I lived with the NPP on my Zl1 but I was really pondering the stainless works retro chambered setup at one point because to me it sounded better but that is subjective.
I appreciate your input! YouTube generally doesn't do any justice for me compared to getting a ride or even driving such vehicle. As long as there is drone or too much extra cruising noise in cabin, I definitely would not be against such build. How are you liking the stock sound of the hellcat? There is 1 in town and it sounds amazing.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #186
1sspat
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2016 2SS, 6SP, NPP, MRC, NAV
Thanks Tr6 for your detailed responses. I am with you that I don't want an obnoxiously loud exhaust, however my 2010 SS stock exhaust did not do the car justice. So I definitely need a nice sounding growl and still like a little rumble at idle. Looking forward to hearing your before and after videos of the xpipe.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #187
1sspat
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2016 2SS, 6SP, NPP, MRC, NAV
Oh, one other thing, does the addition of the xpipe void the warranty?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #188
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sspat View Post
Oh, one other thing, does the addition of the xpipe void the warranty?
No problem for the responses, especially being one of the very few who took delivery and delivery being a massive issue for us all... I definitely am more than happy to assist in anyway I can!

As for xpipe voiding out the warranty, technically ANY part you add to your vehicle that is NOT sanctioned by Chevy gives them the right to void out your warranty ESPECIALLY if it actually CAUSED the issue. But in reality... For simple stuff like exhaust and intake and all... Dealerships will not report you or anything... Now if you go add a supercharger, dealerships WILL report you and void out your warranty lol. It really comes down to how "cool" the dealership's service department you use is. I had 2 modded to hell evos, everything but the engine itself was touched and the dealership I went to get services was still cool about it and still got warranty work done. The thing is... As long as you PROVE that the issue you are having is NOT caused by the aftermarket part, when you get a lawyer involved and go through the hassle... Chevy cannot justify voiding out your warranty unless of course you do something very drastic like adding a supercharger or even cams/heads etc.
Build thread HERE!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #189
Tr6
The Dogfather

As I have mentioned that I have picked up my black bowties, here are some pictures:

edit: I also just ordered wheel lock kit (which I apparently forgot to add into my order when I ordered it lol) AND a cargo net for zie camaro. Probably will be here in 2 weeks. After talking with my local Chevy's parts guy, we found out that the 2016 camaro 2SS 56V wheels share THE same lug nuts and lock as a Caddy SRX haha.
Build thread HERE!

Last edited by Tr6; 11-24-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #190
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Hey TR6, can you give hill start assist a try given that you have a manual... I want to see how electric parking assist works with it... Or if its needed at all to start a vehicle on a slope..
bhavyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #191
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
Hey TR6, can you give hill start assist a try given that you have a manual... I want to see how electric parking assist works with it... Or if its needed at all to start a vehicle on a slope..
As one who has driven some of the crazy hills in San Fran and in downtown Seattle I too question how exactly to take off from extremely steep hills with the electronic ebrake. As a lifelong manual driver I understand that "everyone" should be able to take off from a slope. But, these hills and starts aren't normal.

These hill starts require one to e-brake with one hand while gas/clutching the start due to the angle of the hill and the close proximity of cars behind. Pretty much impossible to do without E-brake assistance.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #192
Tr6
The Dogfather

I just maybe wrong as I haven't had my pot of coffee yet BUT I am pretty sure that there is automatic hill assist without using the e-brake. My buddy's driveway is a pretty good degree of steepness and once I was in 1st gear, I didn't need to hit the brake or use the e-brake. Same on my driveway but mine isn't that much of steep however, if you kick it to neutral/reverse you will roll down my driveway so it is still a slope.

Another thing that I noticed after I stalled the car and restarted the vehicle it starts WITH e-brake ON if you are on a hill. Also, you can still move the vehicle forward WITH the e-brake ON just enough for you to turn e-brake OFF. So if you ever need to use it, it isn't terrible. By no means is it as easy to use as a real handbrake bar BUT I didn't want to cuss my head off for using it and I do cuss a lot... very easily... So i guess it's a good thing I didn't? lol
Build thread HERE!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #193
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Did you take the front bow tie off? If so was it easy?
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #194
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
Did you take the front bow tie off? If so was it easy?
I haven't installed the bowties yet, I ordered a cargo net and wheel lock kit so I will wait for them all to be here and have my local dealership install it. The reason being is that if they mess up, they are 100% responsible for it and if I mess up I am responsible for it lol. Plus they will only be charging me 20 bucks to install the emblems and wheel lock kit so no biggie.

According to the instructions, it seems pretty easy actually. But like everything that clicks on as well the key will be being able to take it off WITHOUT breaking in. And if my dealership breaks it while taking it off, they will have to order me a new one as I do want to keep my current badges in working condition. If I break it while taking it off, I will have to pay for it thus I am just gonna let my dealership do it lol.
Build thread HERE!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #195
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I just maybe wrong as I haven't had my pot of coffee yet BUT I am pretty sure that there is automatic hill assist without using the e-brake. My buddy's driveway is a pretty good degree of steepness and once I was in 1st gear, I didn't need to hit the brake or use the e-brake. Same on my driveway but mine isn't that much of steep however, if you kick it to neutral/reverse you will roll down my driveway so it is still a slope.

Another thing that I noticed after I stalled the car and restarted the vehicle it starts WITH e-brake ON if you are on a hill. Also, you can still move the vehicle forward WITH the e-brake ON just enough for you to turn e-brake OFF. So if you ever need to use it, it isn't terrible. By no means is it as easy to use as a real handbrake bar BUT I didn't want to cuss my head off for using it and I do cuss a lot... very easily... So i guess it's a good thing I didn't? lol
2016 Owners manual, Page 218...

Quote:
Hill Start Assist (HSA)
If equipped, HSA may automatically activate when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. During the transition from releasing the brake pedal to accelerating to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure to prevent rolling. HSA will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse).
I've had it in my Subarus for a very long time, and love it. The Subaru implementation will only be on for 3 seconds, and then will release and let you roll back if you want.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #196
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
2016 Owners manual, Page 218...

I've had it in my Subarus for a very long time, and love it. The Subaru implementation will only be on for 3 seconds, and then will release and let you roll back if you want.

--kC
Awesome links! It really is a pretty awesome feature to have. There are too many good, niche, creature of comfort stuff added to the 2SS. I really love it. However, my 2SS is making me lazy as hell. Driving my truck or the malibu... I am like soooooo where did my feature that I have gotten used to go????
Build thread HERE!