Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #799
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Looking at the comments on Facebook pages and different forums, it seems to me that a lot of these GT350R owners are really stung by what happened in this shootout. I kinda would be too. I mean, paying for a more expensive car, then paying anywhere from $5K to over $25K over MSRP, just for the ZL1 to come out at a lower MSRP with no added on costs and literally wipe the floor with them. I would be pissed off too. And all the things they're saying to justify what happened, lol!!

Here are some laughs for you guys...

"Oh well the fact that the GT350R lost by only 0.39 seconds shows a win for Ford and that Chevy failed"...because winning a race equals failure which I guess team Ford is well known for.

"Oh just wait for the ZL1's real competition, the GT500"...yea and if it does beat the ZL1 then what does that say about the GT350R? LOL!! And is it even coming out at all? If it does, how much over MSRP are they gonna pay for that? If they don't pay ADM, then that means these guys just paid over $80K for a car that a year or so later got upped in performance by a cheaper car. Lose-lose if you ask me.

"I can get a ZL1 for cheap and well below MSRP but a GT350R is nowhere near that price"...so these guys are bragging that they're paying way more for an inferior car that gives you less.

"A car is much more than what the ZL1 can give you". These guys bought a bare bones, stripped down, race car that got beaten by the ZL1 and matched by the 1SS 1LE all coming standard with more options than the GT350R has and yet they're talking about the car offering more??

This is just some of the things I read. I think that these guys were really hoping that somehow the GT350R would win on the track. And they under-estimated the ZL1. I think they wanted to boast and trash talk but got stung. And it sucks. I actually feel bad for them. Paying THAT much for a car and then paying well over MSRP and hoping it would be the top dog just for it to get matched and beaten by the SS 1LE and ZL1 (respectively) has got to make you feel bad about your purchase. And there is still no word on the GT500. I don't think it looks good for the Ford camp and it seems like they're bitter about it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #800
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Looking at the comments on Facebook pages and different forums, it seems to me that a lot of these GT350R owners are really stung by what happened in this shootout. I kinda would be too. I mean, paying for a more expensive car, then paying anywhere from $5K to over $25K over MSRP, just for the ZL1 to come out at a lower MSRP with no added on costs and literally wipe the floor with them. I would be pissed off too. And all the things they're saying to justify what happened, lol!!

Here are some laughs for you guys...

"Oh well the fact that the GT350R lost by only 0.39 seconds shows a win for Ford and that Chevy failed"...because winning a race equals failure which I guess team Ford is well known for.

"Oh just wait for the ZL1's real competition, the GT500"...yea and if it does beat the ZL1 then what does that say about the GT350R? LOL!! And is it even coming out at all? If it does, how much over MSRP are they gonna pay for that? If they don't pay ADM, then that means these guys just paid over $80K for a car that a year or so later got upped in performance by a cheaper car. Lose-lose if you ask me.

"I can get a ZL1 for cheap and well below MSRP but a GT350R is nowhere near that price"...so these guys are bragging that they're paying way more for an inferior car that gives you less.

"A car is much more than what the ZL1 can give you". These guys bought a bare bones, stripped down, race car that got beaten by the ZL1 and matched by the 1SS 1LE all coming standard with more options than the GT350R has and yet they're talking about the car offering more??

This is just some of the things I read. I think that these guys were really hoping that somehow the GT350R would win on the track. And they under-estimated the ZL1. I think they wanted to boast and trash talk but got stung. And it sucks. I actually feel bad for them. Paying THAT much for a car and then paying well over MSRP and hoping it would be the top dog just for it to get matched and beaten by the SS 1LE and ZL1 (respectively) has got to make you feel bad about your purchase. And there is still no word on the GT500. I don't think it looks good for the Ford camp and it seems like they're bitter about it.
The real funny part is, the ZL 1le is the competition for the 350R, not the ZL1. The ZL1 should go against the regular gt350, but will never happen. The 350r is about 3sec faster then the regular gt350, so the ZL1 would of really smoked the regular gt350. But all the gt350 guys think the the R was close that there base gt350 would do the same. Plus the zl1 price is closer to a same equipped gt350.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #801
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
The real funny part is, the ZL 1le is the competition for the 350R, not the ZL1. The ZL1 should go against the regular gt350, but will never happen. The 350r is about 3sec faster then the regular gt350, so the ZL1 would of really smoked the regular gt350. But all the gt350 guys think the the R was close that there base gt350 would do the same. Plus the zl1 price is closer to a same equipped gt350.
Yup! And consider that the 1SS 1LE matched the time of the GT350R (albeit different day) which means it should really beat the non-R if the R is better than the non-R by 3 seconds. Different day can't account for that much of a time difference. And coming in at $15K less. At this point the GT500 will have to be priced competitively which will burn the GT350R guys considering what they paid. Or it will have to be much more expensive than the ZL1 1LE AND beat it. If it does beat it then it won't matter because it would still be much more expensive. If it doesn't then that is just really really bad. I would love to see how Ford approaches this.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #802
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Yup! And consider that the 1SS 1LE matched the time of the GT350R (albeit different day) which means it should really beat the non-R if the R is better than the non-R by 3 seconds. Different day can't account for that much of a time difference. And coming in at $15K less. At this point the GT500 will have to be priced competitively which will burn the GT350R guys considering what they paid. Or it will have to be much more expensive than the ZL1 1LE AND beat it. If it does beat it then it won't matter because it would still be much more expensive. If it doesn't then that is just really really bad. I would love to see how Ford approaches this.
You do understand that the GT350R just barely lost to the ZL1 by a tick. So when you refer to the SS 1LE being as fast as the GT350R then what you must really mean to say is why buy the ZL1 when the 1LE is just a tick behind it for 20k less correct?
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #803
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
The Zl 1le is competition for the currently non-existent GT500R. It's only because Ford doesn't currently have a supercharged model that this comparison even exists. Hell, Ford may not ever release a S550 GT500 which means there will never be a direct ZL1 competitor for this generation.

Quote:
The 1SS LE never matched the same time. It has already been shown that several seconds can be added (or subtracted) from conditions, why you continue to spout this nonsense is beyond me. Could it match it? Maybe...but you seem to be acting as if these have been tested head to head when they have not.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #804
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I am not sure it will. They are two cars that will have 2 purely different goals. Did 5th Gen Z/28 owners care that the ZL1 cost less, was faster in the 1/4 mile with all the creature comforts? I don't remember many being up in arms, bc the Z/28 was a track focused N/A car. Same logic IMO would apply to the GT350 and rumored GT500.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #805
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
The Zl 1le is competition for the currently non-existent GT500R. It's only because Ford doesn't currently have a supercharged model that this comparison even exists. Hell, Ford may not ever release a S550 GT500 which means there will never be a direct ZL1 competitor for this generation.

The 1SS LE never matched the same time. It has already been shown that several seconds can be added (or subtracted) from conditions, why you continue to spout this nonsense is beyond me. Could it match it? Maybe...but you seem to be acting as if these have been tested head to head when they have not.
I don't foresee Ford making a track focused GT500 in any way shape or form. The ZL1 1LE is a track focused car just like the 350R, just with a different engine. Price wise there the same, and track focused there the same.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #806
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
You do understand that the GT350R just barely lost to the ZL1 by a tick. So when you refer to the SS 1LE being as fast as the GT350R then what you must really mean to say is why buy the ZL1 when the 1LE is just a tick behind it for 20k less correct?
You do understand that 0.39 seconds is a LOT of time on a track right? That is almost 4 tenths. And when pushing both cars to their limits that is a significant difference. Look at it this way, if the ZL1 made that lead in the straights, then that means it kept up with the GT350R in every turn. If it made that time thru the entire track, then it just straight up bested the GT350R the entire time. But whatever makes you feel better...

Quote:
Yea I have my doubts that we will see a S550 GT500. I don't think Ford can realistically put one out there without really scorning the GT350R owners. If they do then it will be cheaper and will not keep up with the ZL1 which will be bad. If it is more expensive then it will be way above the price point of the ZL1 1LE (like I said before)...so high it will have to be near what GT350R owners paid. At that point if it isn't a "special edition" or limited production then it will not be worth the tag. Either way GT350R owners are gonna get burned. But again, I think Ford realizes this and is not gonna put it out there. I'll have a good laugh either way!!

Quote:
If that is soo then who is to say that conditions weren't more favorable on the day the GT350R ran? In which case they would be tied or close to tied yet again. That is where speculation gets you. Because you're trying to assume that the conditions were great when the 1SS 1LE ran and horrible when the Gt350R ran. And even if that was soo, the ZL1 would still be better than all of them. So your argument is mooted, try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I am not sure it will. They are two cars that will have 2 purely different goals. Did 5th Gen Z/28 owners care that the ZL1 cost less, was faster in the 1/4 mile with all the creature comforts? I don't remember many being up in arms, bc the Z/28 was a track focused N/A car. Same logic IMO would apply to the GT350 and rumored GT500.
That has nothing to do with now. The GT500 will have to be faster than the ZL1 1LE. Which by default will make it faster than the GT350R. The Z28 costed a bit more than the ZL1 in the 5th Gen. But they ran almost identical times in the quarter mile with the Z28 being better on the track. That isn't gonna fly with the GT500. It'll have to be better at both to keep up with the Camaro if that is it's true competitor as you put it. And yes, if you paid $90K for a GT350R just to have the GT500 show up at way less and beat it at everything then that would be a burn.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #807
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
You do understand that 0.39 seconds is a LOT of time on a track right? That is almost 4 tenths. And when pushing both cars to their limits that is a significant difference. Look at it this way, if the ZL1 made that lead in the straights, then that means it kept up with the GT350R in every turn. If it made that time thru the entire track, then it just straight up bested the GT350R the entire time. But whatever makes you feel better...
Again why bother paying an extra 20k for the ZL1 when the just as fast SS 1LE to the GT350R would be within 0.39 sec of the ZL1? Question is the .39 seconds worth an extra 20k over the price of SS 1LE?
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #808
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

That has nothing to do with now. The GT500 will have to be faster than the ZL1 1LE. Which by default will make it faster than the GT350R. The Z28 costed a bit more than the ZL1 in the 5th Gen. But they ran almost identical times in the quarter mile with the Z28 being better on the track. That isn't gonna fly with the GT500. It'll have to be better at both to keep up with the Camaro if that is it's true competitor as you put it. And yes, if you paid $90K for a GT350R just to have the GT500 show up at way less and beat it at everything then that would be a burn.
I would say the GT500 has to be faster than the ZL1. If it just went straight for ZL1 1LE that would be impressive but I don't see that happening. Lately ford has offered variants of its performance models.

Example Boss 302 and Boss 302 LS. GT500 and GT500 Track Pack, GT and GTPP, 350 and 350R

I would assume an S550 GT500 would have a base model and possibly an R model just based on Ford's history in the recent years.

Ford also knows it has to come in around what the ZL1 is, they are not stupid so I would expect it to have a similar MSRP to the ZL1.

I still don't think it will piss GT350 owners off, if they paid ADM that is their fault. I would expect the 500 to come in around the same MSRP as the 350R in that 60K range.

Or they could really throw everyone off and just go chasing Hellcats lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #809
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
A tick? Did you see the 0-60 video? That gap whether on a track or from a red light, is a beat down.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #810
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Again why bother paying an extra 20k for the ZL1 when the just as fast SS 1LE to the GT350R would be within 0.39 sec of the ZL1? Question is the .39 seconds worth an extra 20k over the price of SS 1LE?
So he can beat a GT350R at the track and then a Hellcat on his way home (in Mexico). A smorgasbord of capabilities in the ZL1 and something for everyone in the gen6 line. SS, SS-1LE, ZL1, ZL1-1LE

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #811
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I will say though the internet does too much magazine racing the GT350 is still a really sweet car. the fanboi world is just stupid but it will never change. it the whole my dad's tougher than your dad thing arguing to argue. Which is why I am glad I am just tougher than 99% of dads so I don't have to argue that lame argument ha ha. These cars are both just rad IMO.

I really like them a lot it is just the current economy and pricing that has me scratching my head.

I have been trying to pick up a GT350 I just can't rationalize what they are going for.

when I see a GT350 I still think it is a better "looking" car than the Zl1. the Zl1 is growing on me though. at the current price point though the Zl1 just shines in my eye's but I almost like the look of my 2013 I had better than he new one for some weird reason.

although driving my buddies new grand sport the other day if I did not have young children this argument would be a moot point.

the C7's look better than both and man was the handling great.

the strait line speed advantage of the Zl1 is significate but when I bought my 13 Zl1 the strait line speed advantage of the GT500 was significant so it not like that is the only reason to buy a car.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #812
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
So then, with the GT350R MSRP higher than the ZL1, how is it worth the extra money it demands when the over $20K cheaper 1SS 1LE performs the same? Especially when the GT350R is supposed to be a bare bones track car. Look at the other stats...

1SS 1LE quarter mile - 12.4
GT350R quarter mile - 12.2
ZL1 quarter mile - 11.4

HUGE difference.

ZL1 beats both cars in braking also and has more features than both. On top of having a fully forged engine. So yes the ZL1 is worth the extra money. Can the same be said about the GT350R?