Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Kunihiro

Drives: 2010 Charcoal Gray, 2SS/RS
AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law effective 01/01/2013

Hello California folks,

To some of you, this might be of any concern, but I am just posting this for your information only.
AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:
A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.
E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.
Kunihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Interesting. Thanks for the post.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Kunihiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the post.
My pleasure!!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
hmmmm, how is a custom tune that tells the check engine light not to come on due to higher flowing exhaust going to show up on this new "test"?

Opening up the TB, Heads and Intake could cause issues now, er in 2013.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
hmmmm gotta see how this will work with custom tunes.

Damn i hate Cali!!!
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Thanks for the info, interested to see how mods and tunes will factor in to this.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
This is great news. Many don't understand that the visual part is already an existing part of the emissions test. It is just that the majority of testers don't know what to look for unless they are a car buff and can remember what emissions came with what and what a stock part looks like, etc. etc. The BAR referees on the other hand has the help of a centralized database and they often refer to it and look up what came with your car based on its VIN. Your car has to be really bad to be referrred to a referee. And no, there'lll be no opening the TB, etc. etc. etc
With this new testing, looks like they'll just hook up to the car's "brain" and compare the emissions output readings (i.e. O2 sensors, etc.) to established acceptable parameters. In essence, if you don't have check-engine light on, your car should be ok. On the other hand, if the ECL is on, FAIL, just like now. I doubt a tester would know or has the ability to comprehend the in-depth charts to see what has been changed from stock, etc. As long as the emissions parts are emissions (CARB) legal and in working order and emissions outputs from various sensors throughout the system are in within specs, this would be piece of cake.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Will this affect or benefit someone with a CAI?
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Kunihiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks20 View Post
Will this affect or benefit someone with a CAI?
I was wondering about that same thing too. I know we, here in CA, have 6 years before we are physically mandated to have a smog inspection done, based on the vehicle year. I've got an Airaid cold air system, sitting in the box in my garage. Guess I should get out and put it together......
Old 01-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunihiro View Post
I was wondering about that same thing too. I know we, here in CA, have 6 years before we are physically mandated to have a smog inspection done, based on the vehicle year. I've got an Airaid cold air system, sitting in the box in my garage. Guess I should get out and put it together......
Oh most definitely, throw it under the hood already. Lol, yea worst come to worst we can always put the stock back on.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Your CAI if not CARB approved will not pass the visual
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks20 View Post
Oh most definitely, throw it under the hood already. Lol, yea worst come to worst we can always put the stock back on.
Nailed it on the head right there. I always keep my stock intake just for one smog guy who has an issue with a CAI being under the hood. In my past experiences though most guys won't mind the CAI because past ones had CARB numbers but, if I remember right, there aren't any manufacturers who are making a CARB approved CAI yet but please correct me if I'm wrong. Happy modding guys!!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Just put the stock one back on for the test. Gonna have to do the same for long tube headers in Cali too. This is one of the easiest cars I've ever had to work on. Well engineered, plenty of room under the hood.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=Inferno LS3;2709690]Just put the stock one back on for the test. Gonna have to do the same for long tube headers in Cali too. This is one of the easiest cars I've ever had to work on. Well engineered, plenty of room under the hood.[/QUOT

shorty headers wouldn't pass either huh?