Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Severe vs Non-Severe SHR

A couple of question for you Adam's pros:

a) If you use the Severe Swirl and Haze Remover, why do you follow up w/ the non-Severe version (according to videos)? Shouldn't the Severe remove the imperfections and then the polish smooth out the clearcoat?

b) If you're not sure how bad your swirls are is it better to just start with the Severe Swirl and Haze Remover, or try the normal version and if it fails, go more aggressive?

I know the easy answer is try the normal first, then use Severe if it fails. But couldn't that end up removing more clearcoat than necessary? I ask this because this process would remove the 'normal' amount, then the severe amount, then the normal amount again. Or am I worrying too much about a few microns of clearcoat?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
a) Some actually do skip to the fine machine polish after the severe swirl remover because it works down so smoothly by itself. I would recommend stepping it down as directed with all three products to get the best results and make sure you remove all the imperfections.

b) Theoretically, yes it will remove more clear coat if you end up having to step it up to severe and then back down but that should only be in your test area. Then you know the process that it will take to reach perfection and the rest of the car will be done accordingly without having to step up then back down, make sense? And we are only talking about micro fractions of clearcoat being taken off each pass with these products and a PC.

Have fun!
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
The deeper compounds ( severe SHR and SHR) will leave micro-marring. That is why you should work your way down the polishes from the most to least aggressive. You should start out with the least aggressive method. Yes if you have to go to a stronger compound it will remove more clear, but your car has plenty of clear on it. Your car could be polished countless amounts of times, but it shouldn't need to be. Your car should only need to be compound corrected once. After that you should only need a finishing polish (FMP) to fix wash or towel induced swirls maybe once or twice a year at most.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
The deeper compounds ( severe SHR and SHR) will leave micro-marring. That is why you should work your way down the polishes from the most to least aggressive. You should start out with the least aggressive method. Yes if you have to go to a stronger compound it will remove more clear, but your car has plenty of clear on it. Your car could be polished countless amounts of times, but it shouldn't need to be. Your car should only need to be compound corrected once. After that you should only need a finishing polish (FMP) to fix wash or towel induced swirls maybe once or twice a year at most.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I ordered a PC and all the rest of the stuff I need to fix my paint. Unfortunately I let the dealer detail it, so it had a good amount of swirls when I first got it. And my wash technique still isn't perfect, so I'm sure I added to them as well.

But I'm getting close, so I want the right stuff when it's time.