Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #113
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
OY!
you need to research using that block as well...LOL
It comes as a 3.999 bore and has little nuances to using it in a build.
Also you on one hand think that GM stiffed you with a bad engine and on the other hand are going to use the same company/parts to build your next engine?

Stop.. take a breath and form a good game plan... Set your budget on what you can afford to spend not on what GM or anyone will do for you.
Then you go from there. Power is made in the heads and a proper combination.

block costs are $2250 for the LSX block and $1450 for the LS3 block
If you want their discount then do the LS3 and stroke it to a 416. Have you heads worked and put a proper valve-train in and you have one of the best most durable engines on the planet ... if we build it for you ... or any other real good shop like Reher Morrison

This isn't your daily drive so you have time to make a smart educated decision.
Iron isn't making a difference at your power level and the added weight will effect your handling.

Walk away from it for a week and then pick it back up. You can make a better decision that way.
hopefully some forum sponsors and looking at this. Can some of you PM me prices for the LS3 block and the LSX block with shipping to 21919.

For the LSX block, price boring it to 4.125 in the price.

Noticed.. GMPP site.. a dealer near me sells the LSX block for $1975
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #114
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
You want to make sure they use a torque plate and the same fasteners that your going to be using and you want it line honed as well... make sure you ask for those things or your not any better off than you were in the first place..

Add in the cost to bore that LSX block to 4.125 and weigh it out against the cost of an LS3 blocked 427....
I'm not sure why you want the LSX block so much in the first place, getting a good one is a royal PIA.
If your going to boost it ok, forgot about you saying that, but its a semi expensive way to go.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #115
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
You want to make sure they use a torque plate and the same fasteners that your going to be using and you want it line honed as well... make sure you ask for those things or your not any better off than you were in the first place..

Add in the cost to bore that LSX block to 4.125 and weigh it out against the cost of an LS3 blocked 427....
I'm not sure why you want the LSX block so much in the first place, getting a good one is a royal PIA.
If your going to boost it ok, forgot about you saying that, but its a semi expensive way to go.
I just can't really seem to find bare LS3 blocks on the net. That's the issue. And I thought I was good at research, haha.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #116
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
call Texas Speed for probably your best price on an LS3 block or scoggin sdparts.com.. most guys will deal over the phone... TSP will.. give them a call and tell them I told you to
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #117
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I'd like to point something out. Which two automobile manufacturers are the most successful right now? I'll answer for you. Toyota and Honda. I work for Honda and to be honest, they warranty damn near everything. Why? Because they want return customers. And it works. Gm should take note of that instead of saying "o, you have a tune...well f you man..your on your own". We all know good and damn well a tune doesn't make your engine leak. So why the hell turn down your customer when you know it's your fault? This this why the government had to bail them out. Piss poor decisions. If they didn't remake the camaro, I'd never own a gm product...and it's because of their crappy way of doing business. My .02
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #118
Camarowguy

I would take heed at the above post. Don't use factory parts on your build if you don't have to. Rods and oil pump for sure and pistons.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #119
Camarowguy

I hate seeing these engine failure threads. Makes me want to get rid of my car or build an engine for it how it should have been build from the factory.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #120
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
did you check ebay they have a ls3 supercharged engine i assume its the whole motor for $13000 plus
Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #121
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I agree...nicely handled, and glad they seem to be working with you.

I was eating dinner last night and this loud lady came into the place complaining about how she couldn't call them because she had left her food on the counter, and was getting a busy signal for 15 minutes. She then complained that she lost her leftovers because they weren't answering the phone, so she couldn't tell them to save the food because she was coming back.

They ended up making her more food. I had to shake my head, because she found a way to blame the diner, rather than take responsibility for losing the food (forgetting it).

Anyways, good job!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #122
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
I hate seeing these engine failure threads. Makes me want to get rid of my car or build an engine for it how it should have been build from the factory.
If you will notice, MOST (not all, but most)of the engine failures have been on modified engines.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #123
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
If you will notice, MOST (not all, but most)of the engine failures have been on modified engines.
But isn't that the point of this kind of car? If I had planned to not modify it, I would have bought a v6. Also, I'm pretty up to speed on engine building and putting a factory cam in (albeit a little bigger) more than likely didn't cause this failure. Heres a couple things that may have happened:
Was being over revved (op states otherwise)
Mechanical over rev, shifting into a lower gear by accident
Piston kissed the valve
Detonation
Or simply a flawed rod casting. And in the picture, the rod looks pretty weak.
Sp basically, you can modify the bejesus out of a 2011 mustang and be ok but the mighty ls series motors cannot take a simple camshaft change and not stay together? I'm not buying it, I think he had a flawed rod and gm should cover it. That's my opinion.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #124
kook

Drives: 2010 2SS Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp01 View Post
I don't agree with this. Of course they care about the consumer, they want the consumer to keep consuming their products, but they also have to care about their shareholders.

It's a slippery slope... sure, maybe his cam and tune didn't cause the failure but if they replace his engine, then someone a little more modded has something go wrong, and they have to fix that...

Just hope for the best man. Hopefully you're not completely boned, but I wouldn't have expectations for anything other than paying for 100% of this repair.
Shareholders? Umm that be all of us that pay taxes.
Magnaflow Street Cat-Back
DOD Delete
Forgestar F-14's and Pedders XA + PKG
Custom grind cam from Cincy Speed
ADM dual fuel pump
ADM AF/Boost gauges
FTI 3200 convertor
Hurst shifter
Cincy Speed Build and Tune 540rwhp
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #125
jdpdesign

Drives: 2SS/RS
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12623967

Like CC said, call Texas Speed and Performance. They can get you set up - talk to Jason
jdpdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #126
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
But isn't that the point of this kind of car? If I had planned to not modify it, I would have bought a v6. Also, I'm pretty up to speed on engine building and putting a factory cam in (albeit a little bigger) more than likely didn't cause this failure. Heres a couple things that may have happened:
Was being over revved (op states otherwise)
Mechanical over rev, shifting into a lower gear by accident
Piston kissed the valve
Detonation
Or simply a flawed rod casting. And in the picture, the rod looks pretty weak.
Sp basically, you can modify the bejesus out of a 2011 mustang and be ok but the mighty ls series motors cannot take a simple camshaft change and not stay together? I'm not buying it, I think he had a flawed rod and gm should cover it. That's my opinion.
I don't disagree with you in the fact that alot of people buy these to mod them, and that the failure was probably not the mods.

I do disagree that it is the POINT of buying this car as MANY people find 400+ HP more than enough.

I also disagree that GM should "cover it". Their warranty is perfectly clear, and it was the tune that killed the warranty, not the cam. GM spent tons of money in R&D on their engine and when you change the specs, you change the ballgame.

That being said, I sincerely wish the OP the best of luck on getting GM to help and I really hope they step up and do just that - maybe not 100%, but at least something in good faith.