Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
Anybody Know how to Set Equalizer for Rock Music?

I had my stereo system installed about a year ago and it sounds great. I have a Kicker IX1000.1 powering a custom box with 2 10" L7's in the trunk area under the area where the top goes, a Mosconi AS 300.2 powering the Focal Utopias up front, and then a Mosconi AS 100.2 powering Focal 6.5" coaxial K series in the rear. I have a Audiocontrol EQL hooked up to the Kicker amp so I can better control the bass from the headunit. Here is the problem. The guy that installed the system loves rap music and doesn't listen to much rock music. I had him use the songs on my phone to tune it to rock music but it didn't come out that way. When I listen to the newer pop/rap music there is tons of bass and it sounds incredible. Then a rock song can come on next and all the sudden it sounds flat without a whole lot of bass. Its like whatever frequency rock music bass is, its being filtered out. Here is a picture of what the settings of my EQL are. Hopefully someone can help me out as I have no idea what any of this means or how to make it sound better.
Attached Images

muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
EQ settings are different for every car do it's hard to tell. You could try bringing up 125 a bit and see how it sounds.

One thing to check first though.. What are ALL your crossover settings at?

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
muscle96ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decibel JJ View Post
EQ settings are different for every car do it's hard to tell. You could try bringing up 125 a bit and see how it sounds.

One thing to check first though.. What are ALL your crossover settings at?
Not sure, I think the bass amp is around 80.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Decibel JJ
Car nut

What are ALL your crossover settings at?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
muscle96ss

Quote:
What are ALL your crossover settings at?
The amp to the box with all the bass is around 80(maybe 90), hard to read. The other 2 amps are not accessible but do they matter since it is the sound of the bass from the box that is the issue?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Yes they do because a fair amount of the midbass kick in rock music comes from your midrange speakers, not just the subs.

I'm wondering if your installer tuned them to a higher HP frequency when he tuned your car for rap music. They should be tuned to about 140-160 at 12db/octave and the sub is probably ok at 80-90. Once you have those set, you can play around with the EQ

Old 12-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
muscle96ss

Quote:
Yes they do because a fair amount of the midbass kick in rock music comes from your midrange speakers, not just the subs.

I'm wondering if your installer tuned them to a higher HP frequency when he tuned your car for rap music. They should be tuned to about 140-160 at 12db/octave and the sub is probably ok at 80-90. Once you have those set, you can play around with the EQ
Maybe I am not explaining my question properly. The issue is with the bass coming out of the box that is powered by the bass amp. I have a bass knob that is connected next to my seat on the armrest console to control the level of the bass coming from the box. The other speakers have nothing to do with the sound that I am having a problem with. The whole reason we installed the Audiocontrol EQL was because after installing the whole system I was not happy with the sound of the bass coming from the box. The installer felt that if we could control the frequency's at the EQL we could make some improvements(said its most likely a result of the stock deck). It sounds a lot better with the EQL but I am wondering if it could sound even better because it is almost like on certain songs the bass pours through and I have to turn my bass know way down but on rock music it is barely there and if I turn it up it distorts or doesn't sound like the type of bass a rock song should have. That is why I posted the picture of the EQL because I have no idea what any of those numbers mean and what effect changing any of them would have.