Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
will a sealant like zaino leave white residue on stripe edges?

have a black SS now and used Collinite 476 on the paint and stripes but it leaves alot of white residue on the stripe edges, even took a brush to the edges to take the residue off but the next day it was back after a light rain that night. thinking about switching to sealant full time or at least just doing the striped area with a sealant exclusively. anyone have recommendations?

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You should just tape off the stripe edges.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You should just tape off the stripe edges.
Is taping off needed if using a WOWA sealant like Prima Hydro MAX?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

well I have gloss stripes so I waxed paint and stripes together. Guess I am looking for a sealant that I can put over the stripes without white residue afterwards. ye I could tape off the stripes but would rather use a product that leaves no residue if it exists. in the spring I will strip all the wax off and start doing the stripes with sealant only if I have to and wax the rest of the car as usual.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I'm using a sealer gloss as well, and I get the same problem. I just keep a towel handy and wipe off the spots when I see it. Plus it's a pain to wax the piece in between the edge of the stripe.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
RKCamaro13

Drives: 2011 Red 2SSRS A6
It's residue from the wax getting caught on the lip of strips, it doesn't matter if its a wax or sealant you will still get the residue. Like CamaroDreams said the only solution is to tape the edge of the strips.
MPD1 Z Force hood, 1LE splitter, ZL1 rockers and diffuser, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations emblems, Magnuson Supercharger, ID850 Injectors, Alky Methanol Kit, Livernois Fuel Pump Roto-Fab CAI, SW long tube headers, CNC ported throttle body, High flow cats, Lethal Racing Prowler Cam, LS3 conversion, Yank 3400 Stall, Corsa 3" cat back exhaust, RX Catch Can, BMR Suspension, BC Coilovers, Slotted and Cross-drilled rotors, Custom Interior.
RKCamaro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
have a black SS now and used Collinite 476 on the paint and stripes but it leaves alot of white residue on the stripe edges, even took a brush to the edges to take the residue off but the next day it was back after a light rain that night. thinking about switching to sealant full time or at least just doing the striped area with a sealant exclusively. anyone have recommendations?
I have a 2002 SS 35th LE Vert with the anniversary decals and have been using Zaino over the decal for 12 years without any problems or residue.
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle96ss View Post
I have a 2002 SS 35th LE Vert with the anniversary decals and have been using Zaino over the decal for 12 years without any problems or residue.
I thought I remember reading that some where and was looking for confirmation that doesn't leave alot of residue. thanks!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Its not so much residue as it is an excessive buildup along the edge. Regardless of the product brand/type - when you get a thick buildup of product, more than would be considered normal thickness anywhere else on the vehicle you'll have a visual issue. Either a chalky residue, haze, etc.

Its fairly easy to get a pretty big buildup of stuff along the edges of the stripes, the question is if you prefer to remove it after the fact or prevent it in the first place. Either option is going to require you to invest some amount of time.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote