Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Warranty and Track

I was at an HPDE a few weeks ago and spoke with a guy who was driving a 2013 ZL1. He was very proud that he claimed the warranty on the ZL1 was not voided or negatively affected by using it on the track. Is that true? Is it only true of the ZL1 or do other model Camaro's also have similar warranties?
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Admiral Ballsy

Drives: a soft bargain
As is often the case, the answer seems to be "It depends".

The warranty fine print almost certainly contains language excluding vehicles subjected to certain kinds of use, and racing is (again) almost certainly one of those uses.

However, the past has shown that GM is rather schizophrenic in terms of how it applies that language. If you go to Corvette forums, you'll not take too long before you discover LS7 failure threads - many of which occurred to tracked cars (even to cars on the track at time of failure).

For the most part it seems as though GM has taken care of those situations. There are, however, examples where they've fought it.

So...it depends. Upon GM's collective mood at the time of the specific event.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The written Camaro warranty excludes racing and "abuse" and "misuse". Just like all GM vehicles. HPDE may or may not fall under abuse and misuse, depending upon who gets to decide. However, Al Oppenheimer, chief engineer of the Camaro, is on video saying they will cover the Zl1 warranty on the track. This would be just for the Zl1, not the rest of the Camaro line, and is one of the reasons I bought a ZL1.

Will the video hold up in a court or arbitration? Not sure we know that answer. My opinion is GM has every intention of honoring the warranty if the car is not abused, and is driven (stock) at an HPDE event, and we have seen no evidence to the contrary. There are even instructions on track use in the owner's manual, so will be hard to claim that is "misuse" by GM.

EDIT: Here's one of the video's of the statement at the 0:40 mark

Last edited by z28lt1; 09-15-2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added video link
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
HDPE is not racing. Watch your terminology. It could make a difference on a claim!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Guy on vette forum, 70 year old man took his new c7 out for a driving school. Threw a rod through the side of the block not even driving hard, and GM told him no because it happened on a track, nothing is covered. No racing, just a driving school with a certified instructor in the passenger seat, taking it easy. Auto car too, so misshift isn't an option. So it all depends. I would expect anything to be warrantied if it is on the track.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
We're talking about a ZL1. Not a C7.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Unreal

True, but GM has the same language and info about warranty. They said the same thing and even have the head engineer on video talking about warranty on the track, but when real life hits, things change. The wording in the manual is almost identical. So if they won't warranty a c7 on the track, what makes a zl1 different?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Admiral Ballsy

Drives: a soft bargain
And there have been guys with C6s who've blown on the track, and had no problems.

So YMWV. Buy a lottery ticket.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Guy on vette forum, 70 year old man took his new c7 out for a driving school. Threw a rod through the side of the block not even driving hard, and GM told him no because it happened on a track, nothing is covered. No racing, just a driving school with a certified instructor in the passenger seat, taking it easy. Auto car too, so misshift isn't an option. So it all depends. I would expect anything to be warrantied if it is on the track.
I would tell that guy to escalate it to the district manager for warranty. As long as his engine was stock it should be covered.

Dealerships make all the difference in the world as far as warranty coverage. Some of them have exceptional customer service and will do everything they can to get the vehicle fixed. Others are just there to collect a paycheck and customer service be damned.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
Unreal

He has escalated it, and regional said no. The rod went through the block, and started a fire from the oil so the whole front end is burned up, which is why people think they aren't wanting to touch it. They don't want to fix all the damage from it, and his insurance won't cover it because it happened on a track. It is a sad situation.

Like the person above said, it is a lottery situation, some people have no issues, others need to get lawyers/etc involved.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
z28lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
True, but GM has the same language and info about warranty. They said the same thing and even have the head engineer on video talking about warranty on the track, but when real life hits, things change. The wording in the manual is almost identical. So if they won't warranty a c7 on the track, what makes a zl1 different?
Actually, the video I saw specifically states Z51 C7 warranty on the track, which is not what the guy whose motor blew had. Just as Al is on video about the Zl1, I would not assume that applies to all Camaros, and in fact when they specifically call out a model, I would go with, other models are not covered.

There is also an article that has Harland Charles, product manager, says the non Z51 would not be good for more than the occasional novice event and if you want to go to the track, you should get the Z51. You can take this as it should be ok with the non z51 for a day, or you can take it as, we aren't warrantying it, because it isn't good for it.

I'm still hoping GM steps up in that case, although there are some questions the guy with the C7 has not answered yet, so we may not have the whole story.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The ZL1 specifically is covered on the track. Others are not

Edit: unmodified of course
Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
z28lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The ZL1 specifically is covered on the track. Others are not

Edit: unmodified of course
Unless I've missed something, this (as mentioned above) is not in writing anywhere. The ZL1 warranty book doesn't read any differently than any other warranty book. We have Al O on video saying it is covered, and many of us are banking on that (reason why my car will be totally stock for the warranty period), and I can't see getting any other decision from GM based upon that.

But should GM decide not to cover it, will that video hold up in court or arbitration if need be?

If I missed something in writing and you have it, my apologies (and please post or send it!).
Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Unless I've missed something, this (as mentioned above) is not in writing anywhere. The ZL1 warranty book doesn't read any differently than any other warranty book. We have Al O on video saying it is covered, and many of us are banking on that (reason why my car will be totally stock for the warranty period), and I can't see getting any other decision from GM based upon that.

But should GM decide not to cover it, will that video hold up in court or arbitration if need be?

If I missed something in writing and you have it, my apologies (and please post or send it!).
Here's one thread on the subject and I personally spoke with Al about it. Also have not seen one single track related denial of warranty on a stock ZL1 including mine. I doubt you'll find it in writing though.

Here's a better video. FF to the 2 minute mark. This is good enough for me.