Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #43
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Myself its my dd but that being said i still do not like to park it any place besides work and home. Its such a new car people go crazy when they see one in a parking lot still so until that dies off which im sure it will by next year thats all the action its going to see. Im not liking the idea of driving it in the saltbelt of Ontario so my grand am will get the call this year then get snow tires for next winters. As far as getting the 2LT over the SS it was a personal choice i fell in love with this model after taking a test drive in one. I test drove both models to form my own opinion on which model i enjoyed. 305hp is plenty of power for me to have fun with. My wife had a 96 camaro RS V6 i didnt like that motor at all it was a dog they got it right this time.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #44
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Daily driver

Mine is a DD except for days it rains. TOOOOOOOO many idiots here in CA who don't what the peddle on the left is for...a couple of raindrops and you'd think the roads were greased down. My 2500HD crew cab is my rainy day equalizer...lol
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #45
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
My 2SS/RS is my DD but I am thinking I might buy a cheap truck for the bad weather DD
Old 10-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #46
Apache1

Drives: Black 2ss m6
Down here in Texas, Houston metro you can daily drive unless its raining or its hunting season, then I drive the Z71. Im at 2700 and getting good gas mileage, some city some hwy so it depends on where you live.SS all the way
Apache1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #47
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
I think the main issue people are making for it not being their daily driver is gas mileage and weather. Personally, I have a Grand Prix which I didn't trade in when I bought this car here in Chicago...but I plan on selling it next spring and making the Camaro my daily driver and then moving back south where it won't see snow. I just think this car (and all similar cars...RWD with a lot of power) will be very poor in the winter in colder climates. I remember my brother had a Trans Am back in the day, once he even got stuck in the driveway because of ice!
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #48
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'm lost............who is saying the SS isn't a dailye driver? It's a wonderful car to drive every day. Fuel economy is reasonable, roomy, quiet and comfortable.

The only reason not to is to maintain the car as "special" and keep miles off of it.

Daily Driver M6
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #49
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
I think the main issue people are making for it not being their daily driver is gas mileage and weather. Personally, I have a Grand Prix which I didn't trade in when I bought this car here in Chicago...but I plan on selling it next spring and making the Camaro my daily driver and then moving back south where it won't see snow. I just think this car (and all similar cars...RWD with a lot of power) will be very poor in the winter in colder climates. I remember my brother had a Trans Am back in the day, once he even got stuck in the driveway because of ice!
I drive 400+ HP diesel's all the time at my job... In 2wd with no weight in the box... Winter driving isn't as bad as people make it out to be!

You just won't be able to plow your own new trails...

Washing it regularly will solve the salt problem... Keeping it inside a warm garage will speed up rust issues...
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #50
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
I think it'd make a fine daily driver. Considering its traction/stability control, it probably wouldn't be terrible in winter weather, but certainly I wouldn't want to risk damaging it, and anyway there are other cars that would be better for that. It's not a daily driver for me for two reasons: 1, I love my 3rd-gen too much to sell it, and if I'm going to keep it, it needs to be driven from time to time. 2, I want to keep the miles low.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #51
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
My 2SS/RS is absolutely my daily driver! I can fully appreciate the school of thought to have the car years from now with low miles; but I will drive this car until the wheels fall off, so I don't care about selling it or trading it (with low miles).
At 70mph in 6th gear I can average 25+ miles per hour. That beats the heck out of the 16 my old truck was getting.
I come from the school of thought to enjoy what you drive, and I thoroughly enjoy my 2SS/RS--and do not miss out any chance to enjoy driving in my car.
Sure, you will get better MPG from a V6; and that 4MPG over time will save you some money; but I prefer to have the extra 120+ HP and torque on my side for when I am not cruisin on the highway.
To each their own. I learned from my previous truck that highway miles are not bad miles. After 6k miles, my tires are in great shape and the oil life indicator was at 70% when I did my second oil change (with 4k miles on it).
Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #52
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
My 2SS/RS is my summer daily driver!
Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #53
richie34
richie34

Drives: black 1ss/rs
Thumbs up

i got my 1ss/rs on 08-14-09 i said i would only drive it on the weekends but the car is so damm fun to drive so i been in the car everyday i find every excuse to drive it may that be my wife needs something from the store drive it have fun with it enjoy that car
richie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #54
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
There really isn't a reason it can't be a DD. Just like people drove GT Stang's as DDs nothing should stop you from driving an SS.

Its your car, do what you want. Those that want to horde their low mile 'rare' 5th gens may get 8K or so more resale but you also gotta ask yourself.. who had more fun?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #55
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
My 5th gen SS won't be a daily driver for the same reason my 4th gen SS isn't. I like to modify my cars and use them as a "special treat" on the weekends. I also like to keep them exceptionally clean. It would drive me crazy to drive the Camaro in the rain, or even having it baking in the sun all day while I'm at work. A V6 Camaro isn't an option for me (gotta have the V8), but my decision not to daily drive has little to do with it's engine. The SS would make a fine daily driver, if I so chose to do that.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #56
quedogf94

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Black on Black
I have a 2SS and choose to drive mines 4 days out of the week, because I like to appreciate it when I drive. I like to drive my Dodge Ram most of the time so I can park anywhere. Don't want to eat steak every day, another factor is the weather. Also, if I just cut my hair and took a shower I drive the SS, if I look like a musty wolf I drive the Dodge.
quedogf94 is offline   Reply With Quote