Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
Vette
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #30
JEP

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS 6speed
Having owned and driven both, I'd like to concur with others who have stated they are two different types of cars, and both are very cool and capable machines.

I had a base Vette with Z51 options: larger brake rotors, oil cooler, stiffer shocks, and slightly more aggressive gear ratios than a true base Vette.
I now own a Camaro 2SS/RS, so I can only compare those two models truthfully.

Two things come to mind:

1. Weight---There are few things in the automotive world that have the impact on overall performance than being lightweight on the road. All of the aspects of performance are enhanced, so it's hard to compare the two side by side. If you could shave down enough weight to equal that of a Corvette, the Camaro would be close to hanging with it...in a straight line.

2. Handling--The suspension of the Camaro, to me, is where the comparison becomes the most divisive. The Camaro is simply put, 'soft' when it comes to suspension and handling compared to the Corvette. To me, this was the biggest drawback in going from a Vette to a Camaro. The first few hundred miles in the Camaro were dreamy and soft and smooth and comfortable and well...you get the idea. Once I started pushing the Camaro closer to the limits of the Vette, I realized what a soft and sloppy suspension it has. Even though the Camaro had comparable POWER, I was unable to properly use it due to its inherent body roll and weight. Braking distance is a safety issue when driving fast, and braking is considerably longer in the Camaro. The Vette I had (remember, larger rotors) would absolutely stop on a dime.

This is an oversimplification of all the differences between the two, but it all comes back to the same basic idea--power to weight ratio.

I love my Camaro, but it's a different car. It's smoother, it's nicer on the inside, it has great power, sounds great, gets heads turning, and will flat haul ass.
But it will not handle worth a piss beside a Vette if both are stock.
From a rolling start on a straightaway, I wouldn't know which car would win, but on any track with corners, or any road with corners, I'd take the Vette any time, any day.

The Camaro does some things better than the Vette, handling precision just isn't one of them. I don't regret buying the Camaro, because now I have a real interior and a warranty, but I do miss the thrill of what a Corvette can do to a curvy stretch of lonesome road.
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Hendrix View Post
You do need to doth the donks bro! But the corners are insanely different between the maro and vette, I've never driven a car with pedders though, but my favorite ~90 deg turn I took in an SS and V6 Camaro and my Z06: V6 had a 36 mph no drama turn in, SS had a 35-6 mph no drama turn in due to it's a tad heavier, the speedo was unsteady when I looked up half in the turn. The vette had no drama what so ever at 43mph and that's as far as I've taken it, 37mph in the Camaro tires started to whine V6&V8 but... That's the fun thing!
In all fairness, I haven't really taken the same exact turns at the same exact speeds WHILE keeing close notes on exact speeds and conditions. I'll have to concede to your findings there.

BUT, if you are talking about a stock suspension on the Camaro, I'd reserve judgment til you get some good under mods. Makes a world of difference. Here in Mobile we have the Wallace tunnel on the interstate and on the west side is a sharp turn going in eastbound and coming out westbound. At 2 am one morning I took it a little too fast in my Camaro going westbound and somehow it held. WITH my Savini boat anchor wheels. Same turn in Bonnies same speed I didn't feel as comfortable so I took it at a bit less speed but felt the same 'fear' as with the Camaro. I'd put the two cars equal right now but I'll give mine the edge with some proper wheels.

BOTH cars easily accomodate my level of driving willingness but admitedly, I'm more interested in the 1320. I want the suspension to be good for the twisties too, but I concentrate more on the strip.

Many believe that the Camaro can be made to outperform a stock Z06 with full under mods.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #32
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Have you sat in a Corvette ? i tried one out last year there is no leg room at all, and i am only 5'10", Not for me, may be if the next gen has leg room.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #33
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Have you sat in a Corvette ? i tried one out last year there is no leg room at all, and i am only 5'10", Not for me, may be if the next gen has leg room.
I was quite surprized at how small the cab was.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
Mark1SS

Drives: 2012 1SS Delivered!
I just drove both back to back. Both a6 vette & SS. I preferred the SS for ride & just seemed tighter. Of course, I'm probably too old to get out of the vette.
Mark1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #35
spencer489

Drives: 2013 Pre-Production SW Camaro 1le
wait for the c7
spencer489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #36
Needs Exhaust!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
^ that.
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #37
Camaromann

Drives: 2012 coupe 1LT
NIGHT AND DAY. These 2 cars are not in the same league. The Corvette is a true world class sports car. The Camaro is a muscle car - that gets fuzzy above 120 MPH. Too much mass.

You can cruise at 150MPH in a 'Vette if you have the ability. It is hundreds of pounds lighter and handles like it's on a rail.

But it all comes down to needs and desires. I have owned and driven a Corvette as a daily driver for the last 25 years. It is NOT a user friendly car in the rain. It is not practical if you need space.
Camaromann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #38
Sparksl
Lloyd

Drives: 2010 RS/2SS
Having recently sold a 2009 Corvette Convertible in Victory Red, tu-tone interior with 6 speed paddle, z-51 and NPP exhuast, 3LT. I can't think of a better car to have. The payments killed me for a car I barely put 300 miles a year on. Now I have a 2011 RS/SS, cyber gray/black. Polished wheels with silver stripes. (2SS)

Pro+Con

Pro Vette-
Great looks, convertible body, handling, light weight really puts that extra 4hp to the ground! Composite body panels, rear transmission for a near perfect front-back balance. Nice guages.
Con Vette-
Low and hard to get out of when in the garage, 2 seats, and speaking of seats, the seats are not the best. Run flat tires are expensive and don't last long. Owner cost/original price of entry

Pro Camaro-
Muscular looks, nice seats + the one in the back. Easier entry/exit. Back-up sensors are nice. Price can be very reasonable.
Con Camaro
Big, Poor visibility, weight, Those huge 20" tires ain't cheap to replace either! No actual Navi. Paint chips on those rear quarters! Elton John is constantly looking at you as you drive!

Now these are just a few observations but ones that seem to stick out. I love them both for different reasons. Corvette guys can be dicks! Camaro guys can be crude. It's a give and take.

One is made in Kentucky and the other is made in Canada!
Sparksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #39
VADR_H8R

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss synergy green
this is the final concept for the new C7 looks awesome and they did keep alot of the looks from the concept in transformers but they still had some of the current look to it still.....
Attached Images

VADR_H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #40
PQ
Booooosted.

I'll reserve judgment for when we see the final production boddy of the C7. AND the engine. I'm absolutely not a fan of that one. It looks like a Star Wars storm trooper in the snow. LOL
Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #41
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Fortunately I don't have that dilemma, along with my SS I own a 2006 Vette .
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #42
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADR_H8R View Post
this is the final concept for the new C7 looks awesome and they did keep alot of the looks from the concept in transformers but they still had some of the current look to it still.....
I love it, looks like it's about ready to take off and fly!