Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Bennieficial

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro SS
Aftermarket Rear Backup Camera Installation?

Hey everybody,

Just got a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX headunit and an Accele RVCLPMB rear backup camera. This is one of the low profile cameras that attaches onto your license plate. I wanted to install everything this weekend, but I wasn't able to find any guides on installing a camera like this one. Does anyone have a good guide i could use? Would I also need to take out the rear seats to route the wires?
Bennieficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennieficial View Post
Hey everybody,

Just got a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX headunit and an Accele RVCLPMB rear backup camera. This is one of the low profile cameras that attaches onto your license plate. I wanted to install everything this weekend, but I wasn't able to find any guides on installing a camera like this one. Does anyone have a good guide i could use? Would I also need to take out the rear seats to route the wires?
Do you have the PAC CAMARO KIT?

It comes with adapters and other wiring component for plug/play with aftermarket stereo, supporting camera as well.

1. You'll need to remove the plastic covering inside your trunk near the license plate.

2. Mount your camera above your plate and run the wire along the trunk of your vehicle towards the right passenger side until you get it to the glove compartment.

3. From the back of the stereo, You should be able to run another RCA to connect to your camera, get some adhesive tape to bind the two after you join the connection.

You will need to remove plastic cover along the walls and floors of the passenger side of the vehicle to run your wire up to the front of the vehicle.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
Do you have the PAC CAMARO KIT?

It comes with adapters and other wiring component for plug/play with aftermarket stereo, supporting camera as well.

1. You'll need to remove the plastic covering inside your trunk near the license plate.

2. Mount your camera above your plate and run the wire along the trunk of your vehicle towards the right passenger side until you get it to the glove compartment.

3. From the back of the stereo, You should be able to run another RCA to connect to your camera, get some adhesive tape to bind the two after you join the connection.

You will need to remove plastic cover along the walls and floors of the passenger side of the vehicle to run your wire up to the front of the vehicle.
Yes I have the PAC camaro kit (that thing looks like a beast to install, but I'll figure it out lol). And thanks for the info. Do u happen to have pics, video, or guide? I'm more of a visual learner when it comes to this stuff
Old 03-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
pac info

Quote:
Hey everybody,

here is more info,,may help you,,http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466017
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Bennieficial

Finally got around to installing my headunit with the PAC dash kit. I connected my RCA cable to the video input on the back of my headunit and just stashed the cable in the glove compartment for now. I kind of have an idea of how to run the RCA cable to the license plate, up until I get to the rear seat area. Am I supposed to take out my rear seats or is there a way to run the cable without taking them out?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
i did mine with removing the rear seat...its easier to take out,,,then get back in,,so get someone to help you...then get a skinny snake to fish it along the positive cable wire..and then lace to the lic. plate area...hope that helps..
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
erftbll81

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Just pull up on the middle of each seat in the back and it should unclip pretty easily, I did mine without pulling out the seats, just unclipped them and held the seat up as I fished the wire under.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77704

Last edited by erftbll81; 03-21-2017 at 12:24 AM.
erftbll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Make sure the wire that goes to reverse lights is with the rca or you will have to run it again.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Bennieficial

I ran both my power and rca cable. Now, I need to connect the power wire to the reverse light wire... which wire is this? Should I use a quick connect or something?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I tapped into a positive wire on the reverse lights and just used a quick connect.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #11
LiveWire195

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I ran both my power and rca cable. Now, I need to connect the power wire to the reverse light wire... which wire is this? Should I use a quick connect or something?
If you installed the PAC kit, it is the purple/white wire. All three kits have it actually.

I hooked up mine the negative to the stereo ground, the power for the camera to my reverse wire on the head unit, and the reverse wire from the PAC audio kit. The RCA is hooked up to the brown "BC in" on the back of the head unit. With that configuration, you slide the car into reverse and the camera automatically pops up and back off once you're out of reverse.
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
I tapped into a positive wire on the reverse lights and just used a quick connect.
Which color wire is this? I tried tapping into the light green, is that the right one? I'm using a quick splice on the light green wire and the black wire (ground). God, I hate using quick splices, especially when I'm dealing with two different gauge wires.

I also have the yellow RCA cable plugged into the back of the yellow RCA video input. The headunit recognizes when I put the car in reverse since it switches to camera view, but I'm not getting a picture. I'm guessing my quick connects aren't making good enough contact with the wires or i've spliced them into the wrong wires.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire195 View Post
If you installed the PAC kit, it is the purple/white wire. All three kits have it actually.

I hooked up mine the negative to the stereo ground, the power for the camera to my reverse wire on the head unit, and the reverse wire from the PAC audio kit. The RCA is hooked up to the brown "BC in" on the back of the head unit. With that configuration, you slide the car into reverse and the camera automatically pops up and back off once you're out of reverse.
I'm a little confused. So the power cable that came with my camera wouldn't be long enough to wire to my headunit. I'd have to tap into the reverse light in the tail light area i'm assuming? I currently have the yellow RCA cable ran from my camera to the head unit. Hanging off of the RCA cable is a little red wire. Not gettin video to show up on my headunit though with the way I have it wired up currently.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire195 View Post

Got it to work! My problem was that i put the RCA cable into the yellow input behind my headunit instead of BC IN like u said.

Only have one minor issue now. When I select "Camera View" on my Pioneer 4200NEX, nothing shows up. But when I put the car in reverse, the camera works. Any idea why this is? I'm thinking it has something to do with the settings on my headunit

Last edited by Bennieficial; 03-29-2017 at 09:07 PM.