Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #85
Vintendo

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convert
That's awesome. Glad they helped. And some great pics you provided as well.

Yeah that space on the bottom helps so much.

I had the same issue when I first tried to mount the head unit with the brackets not being far back enough so it wouldn't snap in.

I put the chime box on the bottom cause I found that I could hear it better and t wasn't super loud and annoying.

These kits are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #86
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohocarl View Post
Your pics were very helpful with installing my Pioneer AVH-4800 today.
ESPECIALLY the idea of gutting out the rear support area. I put my favorite rotary tool cutting bit into use and had it out in about a minute.
(those bits are fantastic! They do have a nasty trait of loosening up in the rotary tool though. Wouldn't want one flying off into an eye....)

Just a couple tips that might help also is to place the new bezel onto your radio until it stops, butt up the mounting bracket to the bezel, then tighten the mounting brackets. That should put the radio in the right spot.
The first time I mounted the radio into the dash, it was out too far and the bezel wouldn't clip in. I moved the mounting brackets as shown in the pic below and it worked out perfect.

There will be a lot of wires, connectors, PAC box, aux wires, reverse camera, usb, steering wheel, antenna, etc to stow away in order to get the radio into the dash. I pushed the main connector, PAC box, and chime box into the open area to the upper left which helped a bunch, but also opening up the space where the chunk was cut out opened up a lot of room also.

Had only enough time today to set a few radio presets, test a DVD, and the time. But everything seems fine.

looks good bro...have fun.
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #87
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Congrats looks great, This is the way to go, if you can do it.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #88
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintendo View Post

These kits are awesome.
I am a cheap ba$stard, and I was having a hard time justifying the $300 for the kit, and another $300 for a mid-line Pioneer head unit, but WOW...what a difference from the base H.U. From my experience, usually the speakers are the weak link in stock stereos, but the stock speakers with the Pioneer H.U. sound incredibly nice. The clarity at hi volume is very good, with nice, solid base. I have some JBL components for the front doors to install, but I'm happy for now. I might try some different tweeters in the front some day.

But YES, I agree, these kits are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
looks good bro...have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Congrats looks great, This is the way to go, if you can do it.

I've installed a different stereo in almost every daily driver I've had in my 40 years of driving, and this was the most intimidating I've done, but as long as you watch the videos online and look through the posts here, it really wasn't all that bad. I think the most frustrating was some b.t. issues between my Moto G Pure and the deck. But I think I've got it figured out now.
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #89
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
face hitting bezel

Quote:

Did you have any issues with the motorized face hitting the bottom of the PAC bezel during opening and closing?? I am having this issue with my DNN992 kenwood
headgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #90
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My Sony 712HD hits also, I can't open it, worried motor will break. I also have taken the PAC and Old metra out so many times, I found if you use a tool, like flat door removal tool, get the sides started by slightly prying each side, you can get the kit past the guages a lot easier without catching on center console. Kit seems to catch on the soft plastic console, once you pry a little, gets you past the initial hard to get in spot.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #91
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
So far my Pioneer AVH-X4800BS seems to be opening and closing with no rubbing/binding.
Wonder if you could re-adjust the radio mounts a little to change the way it "sits" in the PAC bezel.

cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #92
Vintendo

Yeah at first I did have that issue. What you need to do is move the head unit on the mounting brackets

Old 04-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #93
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Think my issue is the Sony 712HD opens from top, opposite of the Pioneers and the face is like a Inch thick. I also have a Pioneer 3800bhs, with cd slot, was thinking about switching it out. But the Sony has a really nice screen. Advantage to the Pioneer though is more tuning options, FLAC support too, the Sony doesn't support FLAC and I found a app to get FLAC music on play store. Only advantage to Sony is better screen, bigger, 5volt outputs instead of 4 and the HD radio shows album art and radio station art. The Sony plays AAC 500 files fine, just wish FLAC was supported. If I knew the Sony only had 7 band eq, no slope options for crossovers and no FLAC support I would have never bought it.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #94
Vintendo

The pioneer that I have fits great and is 7 Inch. Supports flac and album art for hd radio. Great head unit. Paid 599 at bestbuy out the door.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #95
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
The pioneer that I have fits great and is 7 Inch. Supports flac and album art for hd radio. Great head unit. Paid 599 at bestbuy out the door.

Sounds like the NEX4200
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #96
Vintendo

Dx970xs something like that

Old 04-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #97
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Dx970xs something like that

that sounds like a kenwood model. either way it works :P
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #98
Vintendo

I should prob not be allowed to post when tired haha I have a kenwood you are totally right lol