Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
New information on the Halo light issues some have had

Some of this may be old info or perhaps reprinted but here we go.

This info is for those who have had problems with the different color/shade between the Halos on your Camaro's. I got mine fixed just yesterday and it took awhile but it taught me alot about how these things work.

First of all, get a good dealr/service writer. I had dealt with the local dealer of which I will not name names and they did absolutley nothing to farther the persute of a solution. I took it to them and they decided to replace a bulb ( I didnt know back then the Halo does not have a bulb) and when they did, it changed nothing. Just because they had two other cars on the lot with the same problem and supposedly they called GM Tech assist and was told this was normal, they decided to do nothing else.

Thank God for good friends I was put in contact months later with a service writer from an other dealer that not only was a true gear head but also extremely friendly and stuborn enough to actually do the research to figure this out.

Rob (my service writer) did some digging and found out that in the GM manuals the Halo is listed as a Park light, not a Halo or accent light. This is why some dealers are not seeing how these work cause they are looking for an other item. Also there really is no actual diagnosis for the Halo/Park light. Rob also did alot of calling to GM tech assist and found out that alot of progress can be had by both the service writer and the customers calling GM to get the pod stirring. Rob was so good at his job, he had GM customer assist calling me once a week saying they were looking for a solution.

Finally, the engineer department figured that the voltage to the Halos is supposed to be with in 3/10 ths of each other. If it is greater then there will be discoloring and it was considered a wiring problem. If the voltage is less, the headlight assembly needs replaced. The dealer did this and found out the headlamp assembly needed replaced. The part came in and it fixed the problem. Also, according to the GM engineers, the brighter of the two Halos is the defective one, not the dimmer one. I know, the brighter one looks better but it is the actual problem child.

Those of you that say you have called the GM customer assistance number about this issue apparently have not had your files processed or are not on file at all cause they said this was the first of them hearing about it. The key is, call them. They know now what the problem is and are creating a TSb for this. Also, get a good dealer/service writer.

My hats off to the guys at Lindner Chevrolet in Canon City Colorado and perticullarly Rob in the service department. Great guy and great to work with.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Wow seems like you had a pretty tough uphill battle.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
evan
ready...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
just got my car back from body shop repairs, was during the day and didnt have the time to do a complete look over of every detail. When I got home I had a better chance, and noticed my driver side bulb was not on, but the halo(or park light as you refer) was on. The passenger side bulb worked fine, as well as the halo.

As you mentioned about the dimmer/brighter halo's, my passenger side halo is much brighter than my driver side. Do the halo voltage differences causing their un-even brightness also cause a bulb outage on the unit with the dimmer halo?

I know you are not a GM Camaro tech, but I am hoping you have some insight on this. My body shop is a 3 hr drive and i'd hate to waste the time and miles for something small, so I gotta ask :p
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
Actually at one time I was a GM tech but since moved on.

Sounds like you have two issues. The Halo (Park Light) and the Head light are on two different circuits. The Headlight might be burnt out cause it is an actual replacable bulb. I know this cause this is what the first dealer I took my car to to fix the Halo problem replaced and it didnt fix it. The Halo is an LED and it is part of the headlight assembly.

I would either replace the headlamp bulb yourself, which is a very expensive bulb or have the body shop write a suppliment to your claim and have them do it. As for the Halo, find ourself a good dealer and go through the paces. I would also call GM customer assistance and get them involved because they are finally documenting the Halo problems and fixing them. The electrical issues with the Halo are just from what I can tell a test to see if it isnt an electrical connection problem or an assembly problem. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
evan
ready...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That is good to know, because at first i figured the halo and bulb were on the same circuit.

Probably going to get a new bulb and see if that fixes the bulb issue. Lucky for me Geico guarantees the body shops' repairs. Hoping I will resolve this through them, if not, then to the dealer I go.

thanks a lot, appreciate the help
evan is offline   Reply With Quote