Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
justinxxvii

Drives: Car
Smile Dilemma. Getting close to purchase. V6 vs. V8. Questions for you guys

tl;dr:

So I'm in a dilemma. V6 drivers, what can you offer me in encouragement to get over myself?

V8 drivers, what can you offer me in encouragement to go after my dreams?

I turn 30 in less than two weeks and I've been given the green light by my wife to buy myself a Camaro. I've wanted one since I was a kid, it's just always been my favorite car, and until this summer when we went to a dealer to get my wife an Equinox, I didn't think I could afford to drive a Camaro so I never pursued it.

I've been researching specs and prices since July and I'm now very near to making a purchase. There are a couple of thoughts and comments I have to share with all of you enthusiasts.

First, my dad shared some wisdom with me. He told me to not compromise on what I want, because if there's any small thing I have doubts about, it will bug the shit out of me while the car is in my possession. This is very important to me in the V6 or V8 debate. My thinking is, if I'm going to buy a Camaro, why not go all out and buy the best one? From visiting this forum, it seems like the attitude is that it's not a real Camaro unless there is a V8 in it.

I also just really love the way the "mail slot" looks on the car, and without it I don't think it looks as aggressive or intimidating. I know it's possible to install a mail slot bumper but I don't want to be viewed as a wannabe or poser by people who know that the difference is.

In essence, it's all about wanting to be able to tell people, "Yeah, that's a V8 in there." whether or not the person asked or even cares.

I have fantasies about driving it on a race track or on a drag strip but I can't envision myself ever doing this. It doesn't pass the Wife Sniff Test so I probably won't be doing it. So what good does a V8 get me other than glamour and self-esteem?

So here's the crux: I "can't afford" (Well, the bank says I can afford it but it's just not in my budget) to drive the 2SS that I want...I want the HUD, and I want it bad, and it only comes standard on the 2011 2SS. I can get into a 2010 2SS easy, but there's no HUD. I've seen the guide on installing your own but that's not for me. I can intend to do that all day but it will just never happen.

On the other hand, I absolutely can get in a 2011 2LT, and I've even seen some 2012 2LTs in my price range. So, I retain pretty much all the bells and whistles of the 2SS but just no Mail slot, no V8.

So I'm in a dilemma. V6 drivers, what can you offer me in encouragement to get over myself?

V8 drivers, what can you offer me in encouragement to go after my dreams?

I'll come back to this thread this afternoon. I am going out to test drive the 2010 2SS and a 2011 2LT right now.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
This should be entertaining.

I'm gonna highlight this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinxxvii View Post
I "can't afford" to drive the 2SS that I want...

My opinion? Buy what you can afford. If you want the 2SS that badly, save a little longer. You said you can't afford it now? Don't buy it now and sink yourself in debt you can't cover.

And the only people around here that have the attitude that it isn't a "real" Camaro if it doesn't have a V8, are those who feel the need to compensate for something-- and who will never understand that all the big, fancy equipment in the world won't make up for other equipment God didn't give them. Just saying. These people will tell you go V8 or go home, never minding your financial situation, and will be the first to say "awww, too bad" when the car gets repo'd or you have to sell it in six months because you can't afford the payment. I've seen it on here a few times, actually.

Also, food for thought-- I've owned a couple of V8 Camaros (IROC-Z, Z/28), and my current V6 5th gen makes more power than all of them. The V6 is not slow. Go drive one.

But if you really care a lot about what people think and are worried about being frowned upon for having the V6 (since you didn't mention the power jump, it sounds like you want the V8 for show more than for the power)... maybe you should save a little longer. I might add, I've only been asked a handful of times in my two years of ownership whether my car is a V6 or a V8, and when I tell people how much power it puts out and my quarter-mile times, they're always impressed-- I've NEVER had anyone say "you should have gotten the SS." (Except jokingly, on here)

Just my .02. Good luck!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread

Last edited by BowtieBelle; 10-15-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
First, whether it has the V6 or the V8= it is still a genuine factory-built Camaro. And the new V6 has 323hp good for 0-60mph in the 6sec range... still pretty quick from point a to b.

It really boils down to the best deal you can afford/get on a top trim model... whether '11 or '12. The power/torque of the V8 is at your beckon call while the V6 is more frugal at the pump but still with respectable power. Test drive both and start negotiating. Visit a number of dealers/sellers before you decide.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
personally. the v8 blows away, again blows most of the bells and whistles the camaro as to offer in general. the engine sounds powerful, and IS powerful.

of course the v6 camaro is a nice car, but it will never been a v8 camaro. you have to have enough, or do you want more? that the question
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Get the V8, you'll regret it if you buy the V6 when you really wanted the V8. I am extremely happy with my V6, but get what you really want since you have the green light from wifey.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
Buy the best you can actually afford. To me, the V8 was not worth an extra $150 a month, especially since I don't plan on racing. So a loaded V6 made more sense. And yes, whatever you do, get the HUD. I can't imagine driving my car without it. FWIW, I have seen several members on here that went all out for the 2ss, and ended up having to sell because they ended up cash-strapped.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Just get the V8 and save yourself the hassle of waking up one morning and saying "DOH!!! Shoulda got the V8!". Then you have to go through the hassle of trading it in like 80% of the other V6 owners I see who post threads saying "I just traded my V6 for an SS". The SS is just so much more car for the money.

***The information contained in this post is 100% accurate as certified by the International Interwebs Department of Fact Certification. They do not allow anything to be posted on the internet unless it was true and posted by a French model***

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
txrc51fatboy

Drives: 2012 2LS
i dont have any complaints about the v6, then again i didnt buy this car for speed, i have two wheels for that.
the v6 is plenty quick for getting on the highway, passes well, plus with the flappy paddles you can increase your acceleration just alittle bit more.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Buy exactally what you want. If you don't, you'll regreet it every time you drive it. I'm old school, so I had to have a V8. My 2010 SS is my 6th Camaro and all have had a V8. I guess I just have a need for speed, not that I use it all the time. But when I need or want it it's there. It's your choise, you have to live with it.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The thing with you not being able to afford should speak a lot. If you can't afford it, then don't buy it. Smart money choice.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
if you can swing the V8, get it. If it's a few more months of saving to put down more on it, then wait. I had that same dream, got the V8, and so happy I did. I would not of felt "satisfied" with the V6, especiall everything that I have done to it today.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
No Brainer: V8

I've had muscle cars for the past 20 yrs, so a V6 Camaro isn't even a consideration for me.

I realize that you want the HUD...but honestly, having had it on my past couple of Vette's...there's no performance advantage. It's a "gadget", nothing more. If I were in your shoes...I'd find a very clean, nice, low mileage, slightly mod'd 2010 SS for $25-26k and jump on it. The growl of the SS/V8 and the more manageable payment will quickly make you forget about silly gadgets, and better yet, help you realize what is truly important...performance for the buck.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I'd give you my personal list of reasons that are obvious to me to warrant the SS over a lower trim model but then I'd get banned again. Get what you want and not what anyone else wants you to drive. This thread will most likely be closed soon but if you still want a good answer then check out the threads of other Camaro owners trading in for a new Camaro and what they trade in vs the new purchase. That should help.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
justinxxvii, for starters, why aren't you looking at a 2013 model? Ok, here is one V6ers opinion for you.

I have a 2LT/RS....the only bell or whistle I'm missing is the V8 and the mail slot, which I personally don't like, and if I would have gotten a V8, I would have swapped out the front facia for a V6 front facia. and if you look, the ZL1 doesn't have a mail slot either.

FIRST OFF, the statment that "it seems like the attitude is that it's not a real Camaro unless there is a V8 in it." is totally false....true there are some that feel that way....it really depends on the threads you read.

Think about this......prior to the 5th gens comming out, nearly all small block v8's had fewer horse power then the current V6. granted the v8's had more torque, but.....seeing as how you stated that you most likely will never be taking it to the track or draging it. The V6 has plenty of "Get Up and GO" ...... not to mention it will pass plenty of v8s as they are sitting at the gas station!! lol

Why aren't you are getting a 2013 2LT, HUD comes standard, you don't have to have it added.

SURE if you REALLY want the Mail Slot, its an easy swap, plenty of guys have done it, and as long as you are not badging the car as a SS, YOU ARE NOT POSING.

You didn't mention it specifically, but be sure you get a car with the RS option. ESPECIALLY if you are getting an LT. By getting the RS option you will get the 20's AND your car will have the same govener rating of 155 mph of the SS.

One last thing.....I'm in a large Camaro Club, we have plenty of people that are driving V6's, and our mix of members goes from folks with stock LS's to fully modified Twin Turbo 427 cid LSX 1200 H.P. monsters! And no one in our club looks down on anyone in the club because their car isn't a V8.....those kinds of people you really don't need.

SO, with that in mind, get what you can afford NOW and drive it and be happy, OR wait and keep saving your money until you can affoird the car you truely want.

Closed Thread