Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Easy 100lb diet.

Weighed my car on 21 Jul 09 bone stock and it was 3860 with a 1/2 tank of gas and no other stuff inside...ie floor mats, trunk liner inflator ect ect.

Well I took off both engine covers, did the muffler delete, resonator delete (l99) put in an x-pipe, went with catted long tubes by dynatech, rotofab cai. I weighed it today with a some junk in the car, floormats trunk liner stuff in the center console and glove box and it weighed 3760 with just over a 1/4 tank.

Thats an easy 100 just from pretty much exhaust work. Next I will take out the hood and trunk pads, the trunk flooring and the heat shields and weigh it again, probably around an 1/8tank as thats what I would like to be with at the track. Oh and emptied the washer tank too, but I dont remember if it was full or not last time. Eitherway still an easy 100lbs.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Thanks for posting your results, Rodimus!

The "gas mod" accounted for about ~28lbs...so the rest of the mods made quite an impact!!

I imagine you could get another 50-75 lbs or so by swapping the wheels and rotors for lighter units.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
the difference between 1/2 and 1/4 tank of gas is probably your biggest weight difference. A gallon of gas weighs over 6lbs.
brooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
I weighed my mufflers at New Era when I had my SLP LM put on and they were incrediably heavy, I forget how much weight I dropped but it was like 30#s or something just by deleting the mufflers
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
nice! good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Weighed my car on 21 Jul 09 bone stock and it was 3860 with a 1/2 tank of gas and no other stuff inside...ie floor mats, trunk liner inflator ect ect.

Well I took off both engine covers, did the muffler delete, resonator delete (l99) put in an x-pipe, went with catted long tubes by dynatech, rotofab cai. I weighed it today with a some junk in the car, floormats trunk liner stuff in the center console and glove box and it weighed 3760 with just over a 1/4 tank.

Thats an easy 100 just from pretty much exhaust work. Next I will take out the hood and trunk pads, the trunk flooring and the heat shields and weigh it again, probably around an 1/8tank as thats what I would like to be with at the track. Oh and emptied the washer tank too, but I dont remember if it was full or not last time. Eitherway still an easy 100lbs.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Thanks for posting your results, Rodimus!

The "gas mod" accounted for about ~28lbs...so the rest of the mods made quite an impact!!

I imagine you could get another 50-75 lbs or so by swapping the wheels and rotors for lighter units.
I would say high 20's for the fuel difference. I plan on getting the slp wheels for it...as they claim they are light weight, but they look good too.

But it goes to show you can drop weight pretty quick if you need to.

I weighed it both times on CAT certified scales. $9.00 a pop.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
I would say high 20's for the fuel difference. I plan on getting the slp wheels for it...as they claim they are light weight, but they look good too.

So, you gave your car a cat scan or did you use the cat certified scales since you went with catted long tubes...

I can picture a long haired tabby putting a paw on the scale and saying .... yup, they're accurate...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I've been meaning to give them a call and ask exactly how much lighter weight they are...If I had a car, I'd be torn between SLPs wheels or the BBS wheels they popped on Leno's car.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Thanks for the info, If you can afford to do coilovers there is 50lb and two part rotors is 20lb, So what do you want to get to,? and a good CAI is 8lb less.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I've been meaning to give them a call and ask exactly how much lighter weight they are...If I had a car, I'd be torn between SLPs wheels or the BBS wheels they popped on Leno's car.
If you find out let me know.

I forgot I threw on a yank converter too. Its a bit smaller than stock.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:

I would find out their weights before I bought them. The spokes on those wheels are huge. That's a lot of metal for each one. I find it hard to believe they would be much, if any, lighter than the stock wheels. Aren't they cast, also?

Also, I'd be careful which heat shields you remove. I doubt they weight a whole lot, and I'd be weary of removing functional, protective components as opposed to cosmetic components like engine covers.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
So, muffler delete = excellent weight loss AND lower restriction (HP). noice
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
If you find out let me know.
Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
So, muffler delete = excellent weight loss AND lower restriction (HP). noice
Not to mention a beautiful sound!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #14
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
I would find out their weights before I bought them. The spokes on those wheels are huge. That's a lot of metal for each one. I find it hard to believe they would be much, if any, lighter than the stock wheels. Aren't they cast, also?

Also, I'd be careful which heat shields you remove. I doubt they weight a whole lot, and I'd be weary of removing functional, protective components as opposed to cosmetic components like engine covers.
As long as the fuel lines are covered Im good.