Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
mred2nice

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 & 1979 10.5 Camaro
Stock Tune HP Gain?

Hello everyone!

On a stock motor, is it worth doing a tune with respect to hp gain and typical cost? How much hp have you all seen?

Thanks,
Ed
mred2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Personally I'd say no. However I'd need to ask what you are trying to accomplish by getting the tune? On a stock vehicle you "could" gain 30-40 crank HP but will you see big gains on the street or strip with that? No. I'd suggest putting what your goal for the tune is on here. However if it's just to gain some power I'd save your money until you add something else. You won't really feel 30HP when you're starting near 600 to begin with.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible M6
I wouldn't bother tuning a completely stock ZL1. The tune is pretty good, though there is room for improvement. Now if you're adding an air intake/throttle body/headers/pulleys etc then yes, a tune is required and will gain big HP. A tune is everything. A bad tune or mediocre one will prematurely wear parts and ruin drivability (And even fuel economy if you care). Again, unless you need to, I wouldn't bother tuning a stock ZL1.

To answer your direct question, a tune on an otherwise completely stock engine is probably worth 15-25 HP if that. Tunes usually cast $500-$1000 around here.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
What they said, I'm not sure what a tune is worth in your neck of the woods, but putting that money towards a Roto-fab would be money better spent. A few HP gained, plus the extra whine is worth it.
Plus, it's usually the first step down the rabbit hole, then comes headers, hey I need a tune now, might as well throw a pulley on, and so on...
NVRL8 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRL8 ZL1 View Post
Usually the first step down the rabbit hole, then comes headers, hey I need a tune now, might as well throw a pulley on, and so on...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:15 AM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
If you just want to know how much HP you're making you can pay for a couple of runs $75 to $100, but there is "no" tuning included...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
HBZL

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'm an old shadetree guy and new to the computerized tuning. Do the HP Tuners come with any suggested tunes or instructions or do you have to take a course to learn how to tune a vehicle?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #8
N2O

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZL View Post
I'm an old shadetree guy and new to the computerized tuning. Do the HP Tuners come with any suggested tunes or instructions or do you have to take a course to learn how to tune a vehicle?
for a person who is not familiar with ecu tuning i would not suggest that you do anything yourself. I am coming from a honda world where i have tuned various allmotor and turbo cars on hondata platform and trust me,hp tuners have far more options in there where one has to learn first on their forums etc. I would suggest you to get your car tuned by a professional on a dyno.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
HBZL

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Thanks N2O. Just thinking for the price of a tune you can get the software & on their site they have a blog with some member tunes. I don't know if they would have anything zl1 specific. I'm not looking to do anything right away so I'll keep researching. Thanks again for the response and I hope this helps Ed as well.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZL View Post
Thanks N2O. Just thinking for the price of a tune you can get the software & on their site they have a blog with some member tunes. I don't know if they would have anything zl1 specific. I'm not looking to do anything right away so I'll keep researching. Thanks again for the response and I hope this helps Ed as well.
Learning hptuners is quite a steep learning curve. To tune your own it's probably not worth it. Unless your going to tune multiple vehicles. The HPTuners forum is a good resource for help, but the pro's over there will not do it for you. You will need to buy books and study up.

The HP Tuners site does not provide tunes for your car. Copying someone elses tune for your car is dumb and can result in major damage. Tunes are not universal for each car.

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs

Last edited by ABADZL1; 07-18-2017 at 03:23 PM.
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote