Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #29
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Why do you regret your purchase? There shouldn't be regrets if you bought the car that you desired. That's why I usually say to most people to do the homework before buying a car. However, there are new regrets that one doesn't see in the beginning.......we all have some. It should not cloud your ownership experience though.

As far as the vette being better, that's an opinion. It has more content than Camaro, but there are the cynical that would also say that there little difference, quality wise, between the two based that they are from the same maker. Good, better or best is really based on an objective and which car answers an objective best.

The Camaro has enjoyed newfound respect due to its engineering and performance abilities, in both the ZL and Z28 programs. Right now, the ZL1 is the fastest Chevrolet at Nurburgring (until they test a c7Z06). You have to respect Camaro's achievements. Aside from the weight, I would definitely pick a ZL1 over a base vette, but then again I'm not a vette fan.
It was a regret after I owned it for a year, as I realized how little I put the top down. I know many people that use their convertibles, that's cool, I don't.

And the Camaro ZL1 1LE is the fastest Chevrolet, not the base SIXTH GEN ZL1 (Which btw is worlds ahead of the FIFTH gen Zl1 that we are discussing here). The track focused Z28 got beat out by an SS 1LE (SIXTH GEN), that's right, $75,000 and 2 years later the $45,000 SS car with a package beats it. As a 5th gen owner, I can't help but feel like we're quickly losing our relevance. 5th ZL1s don't beat GT500s or Hellcats, 5th Z28s don't beat GT350Rs, 5th SSs don't beat 5.0s.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #30
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^Verts do have that profile......you have to give them that. If you don't mind your head being exposed, then most times the verts can grab attention.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #31
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
It was a regret after I owned it for a year, as I realized how little I put the top down. I know many people that use their convertibles, that's cool, I don't.

And the Camaro ZL1 1LE is the fastest Chevrolet, not the base SIXTH GEN ZL1 (Which btw is worlds ahead of the FIFTH gen Zl1 that we are discussing here). The track focused Z28 got beat out by an SS 1LE (SIXTH GEN), that's right, $75,000 and 2 years later the $45,000 SS car with a package beats it. As a 5th gen owner, I can't help but feel like we're quickly losing our relevance. 5th ZL1s don't beat GT500s or Hellcats, 5th Z28s don't beat GT350Rs, 5th SSs don't beat 5.0s.
You are right about that....in straight line performance. That was one of my early complaints about Chevy and the Camaro programs. Their competitors were coming back at them with more power. I was a bit miffed at the ZL when Ford came back with 662 hp; Then I saw some of the reviews, and looked at some track results. I liked the ZL regardless over all of its competitors despite it being down in power; But seeing its track performance, and later actually driving one and noticing how well it steers and performs overall made me a believer in the ZL1. What was more amazing was seeing how everyone was raving over the Z28, even against Porsche and Nissan, despite having a modest 500 HP and being somewhat overweight still.

I'd have to be in the mindset that I have to have the biggest and the baddest; If I were then maybe I'd pick a Hellcat. I'd still be giving up more car than I should to get one though (the 5th gen looks, ZL1 performance and handling, the Recaro Sport Seats).

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #32
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Quote:
A 5th Gen Camaro is an attention getting car? There's so many on the road and 80% of the people that see it don't even know what a ZL1 is.

A hand-built Corvette is somehow run of the mill? And the interior, even 1LT, of the Vette blows away the interior on the 5th gen ZL1 no problem. The ZL1 is just not quite there on the quality and fit and finish. And don't get me wrong, the Vette is no Rolls Royce, but it's better than any Camaro to date.

Since when is 580 HP very special? If you want big power, the LSA runs out and you'll need a real blower anyways so once you're putting a different blower on (Procharger, Paxton, Vortech, Magnuson etc.) then the LSA has no advantage.

I get it you may not be all over the looks of the Stingray, it certainly doesn't look as good as the wide body variants. But with the ground effects and dropping it an inch, it looks awesome. Adding a set of more aggressively offset wheels and you have one bad ass looking car.

Also, all "hard top" Corvettes have a removable roof, leaving the only difference between it and a convertible the "B pillars" and rear windshield behind your head. You get the same exposure IMO but none of that annoying wind back lash. In a way, all Vettes are convertiblesish.

2015 vs 2017
Camaro vs Corvette

I think anyone buying the ZL1 in this situation would be foolish.
At the end of the day, this is a subjective topic. There is no right or wrong answer. It is all personal opinion.
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (BOUGHT NEW 4-2011)--6 SPEED MANUAL, K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II MUFFLERS, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS, 285-35-20 GOODYEAR EAGLE SUPERCAR G2'S, JBA HIGH-FLOW CATS, BBK HEADERS, LUNATI CUSTOM GRIND CAM: 227/235 .619/.626 114 +3

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866 (BOUGHT NEW 6-2012)--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #33
silversleeper
Some ol' dude

Drives: '13 ZL1
Sure it's all a matter of preferences. However you might not actually know them until you've tried it, chocolate or vanilla, until you tasted it how do you know (rent a convertible even a v6 mustang).

My experiences with a soft top:
Pros
Highest "look at me factor"
Feeling the wind and sun
Car looks good with the top down

Cons
Car looks bad with the top up
Hot in the summer cold in the winter
Leaks in car wash
Plastic rear window and top looks sht after a some years
Got burglarized, easy to slice thru with a pocketknife...top replacement at my $$ (isn't worth insurance deductible)
TOO much look at me "...he is THE definition of midlife crisis"
TOO much sun-burn on the face and wind messed up hair... fasten that down or it will blow out
Time and effort to raise and lower the top. You really going to leave it down in the parking lot ?!
Besides aforementioned body flex and drag track restrictions

They might start calling me Mr Rental Car around here, as many times as I plead with people to rent one first. I THOUGHT I would love a convertible until I rented and owned one. After 15minutes the top stayed up then it's only cons.
A convertible might be good for Vic because it's a better show car and only a weekend toy, but to be inclusive for all people considering a convertible I listed my experiences.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #34
Balr14

Drives: Lexus 430SC
Quote:

You are 100% right. But, no matter what car you buy, there will be something better in a year or two. I love convertibles; even though I live in Wisconsin, my top is down 50% of the time or more. I have owned lots of verts, mostly 2 seaters (430 SC, 3 Vettes, Viper, S2000, to name a few). They have always been my daily drivers. In the winter I put Blizzak snow tires on them. It's a mindset. I'm used to limited visibility, wind noise, some leakage. I wouldn't trade it for any fixed roof car. No matter how much inconvenience it might be, it's still a lot better than riding motorcycles (did that for 10 years). The 5th gen ZL1 vert is what I am looking for because it's a lot cheaper than a comparable Vette, and has more room for stuff and a back seat that actually holds people. It may not be the "big dog", but it's still a damn nice engine! I love supercharged V8s. Especially ones with warranties. It doesn't have to be the fastest or best handling to enjoy the feeling you get hitting the gas pedal every so often.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #35
Inferno13

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

I personally don't get too caught in advertised lap times etc, and the reason has a lot to do with the fact that even at 50 years old and being relatively accomplished as a driver, I'm honestly not good or skilled enough to get those published lap times.

For example, my previous car was a Scat Pack Challenger, which I really enjoyed. Though the common disparaging Challenger remark is "it doesn't handle well...it's too heavy". Ironically, I have been on some pretty technical roads with more capable handling cars, and they couldn't get away from me. That's the reality that gets lost in the abstract of professional driver produced performance data.

Even if my ZL1 was a dedicated road racer, I doubt I would feel any urgency to jump ship for the latest and greatest simply because Randy Probst squeezed a better time out of something.
Inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote