Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Channel Brace?

I recently installed a cat back and was wondering something. I get a little vibration in first gear when first accelerating. Will a Channel/Tunnel Brace fix that problem?

Anyone else had similar problem?
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
yep, it sure will

http://www.bartonindustries.com/
Attached Images

BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
From what I hear, so will a few washers from the local hardware store.

That's the fix I'd recommend, if the rattle is the only concern.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
When I did mine, all I did was stick a wedge between the brace and pipes before tightening things up. Then I removed the wedge, and all was sitting up where they should with plenty of clearance.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Did you remove the stock piece? If not, that's not your problem. If you did, it could possibly be the culprit. Either aftermarket or modding the OEM setup will work. The load is a lateral load so don't let the thin OEM piece fool you. The aftermarket pieces do look nice though.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
CamaroCowboy

yes I removed it to take out the stock exhaust and then put it back to install the new set-up.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
CamaroCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
From what I hear, so will a few washers from the local hardware store.

That's the fix I'd recommend, if the rattle is the only concern.

How many washers. The wife says I can't spend the money on the tunnel brace right now because i just spent a but load at AAC.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
+1 on the wedge. I used a piece of 1"x2" board as a spacer between the exhaust and brace. Worked like a charm. Just don't forget to remove it.
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCowboy View Post
How many washers. The wife says I can't spend the money on the tunnel brace right now because i just spent a but load at AAC.
It's going to be different for every car. You'd have to try 3 or 4 then see if it still hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
+1 on the wedge. I used a piece of 1"x2" board as a spacer between the exhaust and brace. Worked like a charm. Just don't forget to remove it.
This is also a option since most exhaust are just put in place and tightened up. Loosen up the bolts, put the wedge in, then retighten.

If it's a vibration you're hearing, I don't think the brace is your problem. Mine made a definite clunking sound when I hit bumps. Not sure what could be making a vibration unless the pipes are resting against the body. Even then i'd think it would do it all the time and not just during take off.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
CamaroCowboy

That is why I was confused because it is definately only when taking off in first for like maybe a second. It almost sounds like the heat sheilding rattling but I went back under the car twice to make sure no piece of the exhaust pipes are touching the heat shields along the entire length of the car. I even went to the extreme of loosening up the mid pipes and turning them down slightly to give more clearance from the heat shielding. It kind of has me head scratching alittle. Which is why i asked here.

I will have her in the air this weekend any way for installing my AAC lighting so I will crawl under again and take another look.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
After I installed the Solo Cats on mine, the resonator hits the brace so I had to just remove it. I tried washers, even tried an after market brace that had a gap to help but it would still hit the brace when I'd hit a bump in the road.

I suspect the LS3 doesnt have this issue, and if I removed the resonator it also would probably have enough clearance to not hit the brace.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I have the Magnaflow 3" CAT back and I have plenty of clearance. But I also have the LS3 so that could be the difference.