Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
SpkCamaro12

Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT RS - Traded In
Getting the most of my 2LT

I just want to make sure I am getting the most power out of my 2LT as I can without spending money for a T or SC. I have gotten a CIA, MRT v1, and a Trifecta Tune.

Also I was wondering I am going to go back to the dealer to get an oil change, was debating if I should go to synthetic oil now.

Thanks in advance.
TRADED IN - 2012 2LT RS - VMAX Throttle Body - MRT V1 - CAI - Trifecta Tune - Matching Interior Lightning (Footwells and Dome) - Sequential Taillights - Blacked out Front n Back Bowties - 228VX Train Horn

Traded for 2011 Corvette

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7428/sig2gx.jpg
SpkCamaro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Looks like its time for you to go for a ported throttle body, manifold insulator and ported intake if you don't mind port matching the heads on your engine. That would be a nice power boost for sure. Otherwise the ported TB and insulator from MACE or RX would still be a good addition.

On the other end of the engine, you could go for LT headers or if you want something similar with an easier install and nearly the same power gains, go for something like the SOLO high flow cats.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
SpkCamaro12

Ya, I was GOING to get headers until I found out the 2012 LTs have integrated headers :'(
TRADED IN - 2012 2LT RS - VMAX Throttle Body - MRT V1 - CAI - Trifecta Tune - Matching Interior Lightning (Footwells and Dome) - Sequential Taillights - Blacked out Front n Back Bowties - 228VX Train Horn

Traded for 2011 Corvette

Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
KMPrenger

crap....well I didn't see that lol. Now you can pretty much forget everything I just told you lol.

RX is saying they should have info on a ported TB for the 2012 fairly soon. As far as headers...no you can't do that, but still should be able to do something like the solo high flow cats and get good results. But they might not bolt up on the 2012 like they do on the 2010s, and 2011s. I'd think a SOLO rep could assist you on that.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
SpkCamaro12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
crap....well I didn't see that lol. Now you can pretty much forget everything I just told you lol.

RX is saying they should have info on a ported TB for the 2012 fairly soon. As far as headers...no you can't do that, but still should be able to do something like the solo high flow cats and get good results. But they might not bolt up on the 2012 like they do on the 2010s, and 2011s. I'd think a SOLO rep could assist you on that.
Ya, well hopefully something soon from RX. Also gonna look into the high flow cats. Other then those I think thats all I can really do unless spending the big $$$

Traded for 2011 Corvette

Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpkCamaro12 View Post
Ya, well hopefully something soon from RX. Also gonna look into the high flow cats. Other then those I think thats all I can really do unless spending the big $$$
Concerning the HFCs, I know the 2010s, 11s have a flange before the cats that can be unbolted so the cats can be replaced without having to remove the headers as well. This is what makes the SOLO system an easier direct bolt in than doing LT headers.

Can you tell if the 2012 also has a flange above the cats, or does the tube run straight into the side of the engine from the cats with no seperation? I think SOLO should be jumping on this to see if their HFC setup works on the 2012s since it really is the 2012's best (so far) option for improving performance on the exhaust side of the engine.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
My suggestion for the 2012 owners is to visit the Subie Shops and pick their brains on what they can do with the downpipe for these cars. The subarus have similar downpipe tech IMO and they should be able to give you suggestions or point you in the directions of manufacturers that can help you create better exhaust flow. This is IF they really want to modify the exhaust that badly.

Mace insinuated that they maybe working on something for the LFX when it comes to the isolator. I am sure RX will have a TB soon enough.

I wouldn't worry too much about porting, the manifold is composite, not idea for porting, and I am not sure how much difference porting the heads will make.

But you are on the right track so far, I would shoot for the TB and isolator when released and forget any major exhaust changes becaue I think and many others, that slapping a turbo on the LFX will be a lot easier and simple thing to do to get more power.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
dude I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get synthetic oil
nikos30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Abstrak

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro LS / Team LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
My suggestion for the 2012 owners is to visit the Subie Shops and pick their brains on what they can do with the downpipe for these cars. The subarus have similar downpipe tech IMO and they should be able to give you suggestions or point you in the directions of manufacturers that can help you create better exhaust flow. This is IF they really want to modify the exhaust that badly.

Mace insinuated that they maybe working on something for the LFX when it comes to the isolator. I am sure RX will have a TB soon enough.

I wouldn't worry too much about porting, the manifold is composite, not idea for porting, and I am not sure how much difference porting the heads will make.

But you are on the right track so far, I would shoot for the TB and isolator when released and forget any major exhaust changes becaue I think and many others, that slapping a turbo on the LFX will be a lot easier and simple thing to do to get more power.
I thought the VMax isolator wasnt necessary because the manifold was already composite on the 2012s or did I miss something?
Abstrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
LFX vs LLT stock, LFX is rated at 323HP the LLT rated at 312HP. LFX is 20.5 pounds lighter than the LLT.

So, why do I see these post from fellow LFX owners going on about the headers. You can still change the intake and the exhaust to a point, and you probably still be hitting higher HP numbers than LLTs with intakes and headers. Not to mention you'll probably will still be lighter than them also.

With the LFX engine your getting new cylinder head design an integrated exhaust manifold, an improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads. A new fuel pump system, injectors and a composite intake manifold, a camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.

All you can do is complain about headers. There is a lot that can be done with this new engine just give the after market time to catchup. Once that happens, LLTs won't be able to keep up, stock or with mods to a stock or moded LFX.

(sorry LLTs your stil Camaros and that's what counts.)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrak View Post
I thought the VMax isolator wasnt necessary because the manifold was already composite on the 2012s or did I miss something?

The additional cooling it provides is probably not necessary, but if MACE's claims of longer runner length are what help the lower end TQ, then even the LFX can benefit from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardailsmith View Post
LFX vs LLT stock, LFX is rated at 323HP the LLT rated at 312HP. LFX is 20.5 pounds lighter than the LLT.

So, why do I see these post from fellow LFX owners going on about the headers. You can still change the intake and the exhaust to a point, and you probably still be hitting higher HP numbers than LLTs with intakes and headers. Not to mention you'll probably will still be lighter than them also.

With the LFX engine your getting new cylinder head design an integrated exhaust manifold, an improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads. A new fuel pump system, injectors and a composite intake manifold, a camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.

All you can do is complain about headers. There is a lot that can be done with this new engine just give the after market time to catchup. Once that happens, LLTs won't be able to keep up, stock or with mods to a stock or moded LFX.

(sorry LLTs your stil Camaros and that's what counts.)
You are a bit off base. I do agree that it is hard to complain about headers when the LFX already has a HP advantage. But really its the removal or swapping of the stock cats to high flow or no cats that makes up the majority of the power gained by going to LT headers. So with this in mind, LFX owners have all the right to be a bit bummed that they can't do headers.

They could do a swap to a high flow cat setup though and gain a fair amount of power, similar to the SOLO HFCs for the LLT. They gained 15 HP with that, compared to LT headers which typically dyno a peak gain of between 15 to 20 HP.

I really don't think all that extra power in the LFX comes from the swap to the integrated headers. Instead, I feel it comes from the composite intake which should stay cooler and flow well.

I also think and LFX with HFCs would be no more powerful than an LLT with headers and an insulator/ported manifold. At that point, both engines are flowing equally well.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The additional cooling it provides is probably not necessary, but if MACE's claims of longer runner length are what help the lower end TQ, then even the LFX can benefit from this.
I have spoken with a few guys about the runner lengths, guys building engines, NASCAR to drag engines to your everday engines. And to them the cooling effect is secondary, compared to the increased air flow you get from longer runner lengths. The more length air has to pass through the faster the velocity.

The cooling effect they do agree helps in keeping the performance consistent, but we think that the LFX composite manifold takes care of that already.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote