Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Unless you can get an intake sourced for your F/I setup. As well, most aftermarket filters are better than the stock ones.

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Granted...I am waiting on the Vararam product and will install that next...
But isn't that going to suck air right from the radiator area which is hot air which is what the OP was referring to?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
In other words, intakes, while potentially attractive and shiny, are not any good for people who have goals for their rides. They don't produce enough power to really make heads turn and they don't make the air cold enough to justify the price.

But hey, they're having fun and supporting the economy, so might as well let them do it even if they're wasting their money and effort from your point of view.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
So are you saying that the stock Air Box with a 3" diameter snorkel is better than an aftermarket under the hood filter???

or just stating it's not really worth the money for the small increase in hp? If so I'm not concerned about the $400 bucks... when someone comes out with a better one I'll upgrade. Not sure I want to tilt my radiator back or put a filter 12" from the road right now...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
Late Model Racecraft

Drives: 98 Camaro Race Car 3.96 @ 202 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I think what ADM is saying, buyer beware on these CAI's that people are selling, and do your homework.

-bobby

That is why we have tested our CAI system so much. Ours is designed with a heat shield which seals to the hood and prevents hot air intrusion into the air induction system and is not subjected to such heat soak as the factory air box. We have done testing with the facotry system in high traffic conditions and with the GM system it takes alot of driving afterwards to bring the air temps back to ambient because of the small hole in the factory air box. Our CAI takes half the time to bring the air back to ambient once driving again to prove that our CAI flows more air and in return makes more power. Hope that helps.

2019 ZR1 LT5*9.00*@ 157
Current C7 World Record Holder 7.55*@ 184*MPH
Quickest and Fastest GEN5 LT Powered Vehicle
LMR1200HP Supercharged C7 8.84 @ 160**
LMR1200HP Twin Turbo C7 9.35@155mph-2014
2 TIME OUTLAW DRAG RADIAL LSX CHAMPION 2008/2010
9.47 ZR1 Corvette-2009
FIRST 2010 CAMARO in the 9's-2010
713-466-9900
Latemodelracecraft.com
Late Model Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
That is why we have tested our CAI system so much. Ours is designed with a heat shield which seals to the hood and prevents hot air intrusion into the air induction system and is not subjected to such heat soak as the factory air box. We have done testing with the facotry system in high traffic conditions and with the GM system it takes alot of driving afterwards to bring the air temps back to ambient because of the small hole in the factory air box. Our CAI takes half the time to bring the air back to ambient once driving again to prove that our CAI flows more air and in return makes more power. Hope that helps.
Can it mate up to a supercharger?

Crowley
Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
ADM Performance is making a good point. He simply copied from the Kenne Bell website, which is great because most people it seems don't do any research. If you really want to get some good information, check out Kenne Bell's website. They have multiple pages of FAQs, explaining the in and outs of supercharging. They also address how multiple mods work together, it isn't always additive in effect.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
But isn't that going to suck air right from the radiator area which is hot air which is what the OP was referring to?
We'll have to wait to see vararams design for full details...but it's going to pull air from in front of the radiator.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The Kenne Bell article is certainly a good one... However that CAI from LMR is definitely worth it. I tried to see what a custom design would do on the Camaro and looked very close at this car with the front end removed. Always came back to put the filter right where LMR and everyone else has with a good shroud. Let's face it there is not much room for very many good options. We'll see what the over radiator options come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
If you are going to do this then there is no reason to get your CAI now. Do it all at once and I'm sure LMR or anyone else can hook you up...
Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Crowley
Good luck......
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Hot air intakes are known by hypermilers to slightly (or sometimes significantly) reduce power and increase fuel economy. I wonder if people claiming that their cold air intakes increased their fuel economy, are really getting higher IAT than they had stock?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #26
Hennessey Performance

Drives: THE EXORCIST
There are hot air kits, cold air kits, stock air kits and slow air kits. But the idea that ALL stock airboxes perform better than aftermarket air induction kits is wrong.

In the case of the LS3 2010 Camaro we have found that gains of up to half a second from 60-130 mph by using our high-flow cold air kit.

Dyno numbers really do not tell the complete story on making air induction mods. The car is sitting still with no air flow. If you really want to know what air induction mods do, you need to have the car in motion, under acceleration with air flowing thru the front of the car.

So I will concur that SOME air intake kits do perform worse than stock. However, with regards to the high-flow cold air kit that is offered by Hennessey Performance, I have the 60-130 mph data that shows improved acceleration. This statement is true for the 2010 Camaro LS3 & L99 in stock form, with bolt on exhaust & headers as well as our supercharged applications.

Best wishes to all. Enjoyed the various opinions and be sure to separate the facts from the bs.
Hennessey Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
I guess I admire the, uh, spirit here, but what I don't get is what spurred the tirade in the first place, pardon my crude categorization of it. It's all decent info, but I wasn't aware of anyone blaming Kenne Bell SC failures on shoddy intake work. You break it, you bought it, right?

Maybe a better rant, er, warning would be aimed at the folks who think forced induction mods are simple weekend bolt-on projects and fail to appreciate how you have to shore an engine up to handle all the multifarious dynamic changes that such a system is going to introduce to the powertrain. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, hell, I'd love to have the resources to do one myself, but even if I had the dough and the shop time, I wouldn't do it myself, because I'm not an expert. I wouldn't let anyone near it who hadn't been building smallblocks (that don't blow up) for at least ten years.
Nice post.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #28
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
See if I make an observation on what I see with that LMR CAI, I see an AF in a sealed box facing away into the wheel well wall. Blocked off from the front of the car by the W/W tank. IMO all I see better then an OE set up there is 1-it looks better,2-there is less media area then OE though not by much,3-it probably weighs a couple pounds less. Just my opinion.
My point is to emphasize all CAI'S are not equal. And really until you add ram air effect to them your gains are going to be marginal, as well as comparable to most the others.

Last edited by CGM2SSRS; 07-20-2009 at 07:56 AM.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote