Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Exclamation Help Brake Failure!!!!

Can anyone help me here or point me to someone that can?? I was pulling into the parking lot last night at the Bulls Game and I heard a loud noise. I thought my front spoiler had failing off or came loose so I got out in traffic to check and nothing was wrong. I got back into the car and started to move forward and heard almost a bump and grinding sound. The flagger going into the United center helped me out with his flashlight and he didn't see anything. He then directed me to a very close end parking space and I backed it in. It seamed every time I hit the brakes the noise came back. This is what I found after getting it towed to the dealer.

Oh and GM Roadside service Sucks Azz. They lied to me on the phone and stuck me with a 192.00 bill for towing 38 miles! WTF any attorney's on the forum????

What the heck the lady on the phone said I would have to bring it within 20 mile radius from where I was. I asked if I could bring to my dealer and she said I would be charged the difference of the miles. How the hell do I get 192.00 bill when I drop my car off. Then get threatened if I don't pay it to impound and recovery. This is BS GM, not right my car only has 6800 miles on it and I reported my spongy brakes to the engineer via phone call and even looked it up on the forum. No issues with the brakes, RIGHT now my wheel if F'd up and I am lucky I was going 10mpr when it came apart.

Please help me comment on the pics what do you guys think caused it? I don't want this to be like Toyota and have an unsafe car especially the brakes!

EDIT: These are not my new Brembos as they are still at the paint shop.

Sorry for the quality of the pics it was from my iphone.
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Did your 'new' rims have aything to do with it?(clearance issues)..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
1 BAD RS 2 SS

Drives: 2010 RS 2 SS
looks like caliper bolt on the bottom fell out , caliper is not seated right in pic #2
1 BAD RS 2 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
looks like BOTH bolts have backed out or failed. Has ANY work been done to these brakes? My guess is improper torque to the slider pin bolts.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
If you were towed within 20 miles to your dealer you should have to pay nothing. If you chose to be towed to your dealer which is outside of 20 miles then the diffference is probably $192. Those towing companies charge upwards of $20-25 a mile. So if you were towed even 5-7 miles over the 20 well then you are stuck with that bill.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
This is all very unfortunate. I just hope the dealer doesn't say your aftermarket wheel was the problem with clearance. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
GM Roadside Assistance policy is pretty clear (page 12-6 Owner's manual). They'll cover towing to the nearest Chevrolet dealer for warranty repair. If you opt to go somewhere else, then you'll end up paying the difference. I can tell you that towing rates aren't as cheap as you think they should be. Especially once you start racking up more than a couple of miles. That is the main reason I've kept my AAA Plus membership - towing up to 100 miles four times a year.

As for the brake damage, I'm assuming the wheels have been on for a while and have the right offset to properly clear the brake calipers?

Any chance you ended up with road debris up into the wheel/brake area? I had a friend that had a small piece from blown out truck tire bounce up and jam up into the brake caliper. Tore the whole thing loose and lost all brake fluid pressure as a result. Not much fun at 75mph but he managed to get off the road safely.

Don't be surprised if the dealer denies this as a warranty claim. Especially if they see any sign of damage that is the result of road debris.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Orange5thGen

Mblock66If you were towed within 20 miles to your dealer you should have to pay nothing. If you chose to be towed to your dealer which is outside of 20 miles then the difference is probably $192. Those towing companies charge up wards of $20-25 a mile. So if you were towed even 5-7 miles over the 20 well then you are stuck with that bill.
The lady told me the same thing I would have to pay outside of 20 miles if I wanted to bring to my dealer. I said I would like that if at all possible.
She told me per her the dealer was 38 miles from me , Minus -20 miles would be 12-14 miles at 6.00 per mile. I verified the rate with driver then after the drop off the dispatcher called driver and said she was to call me back as anything over 6 miles was my responsibility???? No one ever called me back at all. I got a call at 10:06pm from Canada and hung up no message. The car was already at the dealer, key in the drop box and I was waiting for the bill (60-80.00) per the agent, NOT 192.00 This is total BS. All the other companies I called were 3.50 a mile plus hookup. My insurance company gave me the numbers to shop the prices. So why is GM charging 6.00 per mile? Why was I lied to? I hope someone from GM is on the thread and reads this! I was treated so bad last night from Jason and again his supervisor Nathanial. Can someone give me consumer affairs to GM?? Who can I call? If there is a brake or bolt back out problem why isn't there a service bulletin released to inspect this yet?

From the thread below it has happened before?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1956 View Post
looks like BOTH bolts have backed out or failed. Has ANY work been done to these brakes? My guess is improper torque to the slider pin bolts.
No work to Brakes at all, never touched.

Tires and wheels are for the Camaro with the correct offsets. Ben on the car for about 1000 miles. The other three are fine.

The dealer looked at it quickly and said it looked like a bolt has backed out of the brake!

Check out the comment Jarhead made. It is interesting.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61687&highlight=install+eibach+sp rings
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Orange5thGen

No work at all to Brakes they have not been touched. Just new tires and wheels which have been on the car nearly 1000 miles. Just had our Chicago5thgen.com meeting with our members last week car was there lots of pictures were taken. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1956 View Post
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
So if your bolt(s) are missing and there has been no work done then only a few things could have happened. It could have just been bad install for some reason from the factory, bad bolt, or (what I think is the cause) is that your new wheel/tire wasn't balanced properly and caused a vibration which caused it to back out. It could have been so slight that you wouldn't notice it driving, but could have caused the bolt failure. Be sure to have it (the wheel and tire) tested for that if you can.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Orange5thGen

Anyone have the number to GM Executive offices?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
Orange5thGen

Tire and wheels were perfectly balanced the car drove even better with the new tires and wheels. Ultra smooth...... I paid good money for it over a month ago and if the Brake part didn't come off it, it would have never hit the rim and damaged it. The dealer said it looked like a bolt backed out, so far, still waiting for them to call me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
So if your bolt(s) are missing and there has been no work done then only a few things could have happened. It could have just been bad install for some reason from the factory, bad bolt, or (what I think is the cause) is that your new wheel/tire wasn't balanced properly and caused a vibration which caused it to back out. It could have been so slight that you wouldn't notice it driving, but could have caused the bolt failure. Be sure to have it (the wheel and tire) tested for that if you can.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
damn good luck, i doubt the replace your rim, which sucks

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
If you were towed within 20 miles to your dealer you should have to pay nothing. If you chose to be towed to your dealer which is outside of 20 miles then the diffference is probably $192. Those towing companies charge upwards of $20-25 a mile. So if you were towed even 5-7 miles over the 20 well then you are stuck with that bill.
Man, the towing companies in your area are gouging you.
In the Denver area the towing companies charge $4.50-$8.00 each mile for the extra miles over 20 miles. And that's for a roll back wrecker.