Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
tytus02
Account Suspended

Drives: truck/2010 camaro blk/blk 2ss ls3
gas door

Has anyone installed one of those locking fuel doors on their camaro? I was wondering about the difficulty level and product satisfaction. Also any opinions on which one might look best on a black car?
tytus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytus02 View Post
Has anyone installed one of those locking fuel doors on their camaro? I was wondering about the difficulty level and product satisfaction. Also any opinions on which one might look best on a black car?
Go here it will give you the basic info...

http://www.defenderworx.com/images//...uctionsint.pdf
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
kryptonian
awsome!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
i heard they are crap. dont waste your $$$.
kryptonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
I've had the defenderworx brushed fuel door on since June '09 - had my shop install it as I didn't want to deal with the clip bracket- see their install instructions from the link Globemaster provided.

The door quality is very good though it doesn't lay flat where the locking mechanism is on the left side - not a big deal. You have to get used to jumping out of the car to tell the pump jockey not to try to open it (unless you're in a state where you can pump your own - in NJ they don't trust us to do it).

For me, I wanted the custom door, didn't like the GM version, and like the way it looks.
Attached Images

#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytus02 View Post
I installed the "CAMARO" black billet locking fuel door, and it was fairly easy to intall. For my install, I did require that i cut off the end of the "locking" piece on the arm of the fuel door so that the new door would slide on the arm properly. The only issue I seemed to have with the install was the door not sitting flush against the car. So I found that I also needed to cut off the original stock spring that keeps the door shut (stock). The diagram I followed did not show this step. Frankly I don't like having to permanatly cut off any stock pieces on the car in the event I wish to put her back to her stock appearance. But all in all it looks good. I also think that the aftermarket fuel cover could have had a better/stronger locking mechanism. The metal piece the turn key latches onto is so thin and flimsy. I'm a chick and I with my strength I could easily yank it out without the turn key. But all in all, I do like the way it looks.

Obviously for a black Cammy I wouldn't suggest a black cover..what's the point? But for yours, perhaps the silver polished billet cover with the "Camaro" logo to tie in with the small silver accents of your bowties and bezels? And if you plan on completely deleting your chrome throughout the car, te brushed silver would look nice.

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
I've had the defenderworx brushed fuel door on since June '09 - had my shop install it as I didn't want to deal with the clip bracket- see their install instructions from the link Globemaster provided.

The door quality is very good though it doesn't lay flat where the locking mechanism is on the left side - not a big deal. You have to get used to jumping out of the car to tell the pump jockey not to try to open it (unless you're in a state where you can pump your own - in NJ they don't trust us to do it).

For me, I wanted the custom door, didn't like the GM version, and like the way it looks.
You can't pump your own gas in NJ?? Seriously!?
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
i heard they are crap. dont waste your $$$.
In a way, I'm "kinda" with you there. I did not expect to have to do so much removing of stock parts to install this accessory. I wrote the company and suggested that to charge $$$ for a fuel door who's locking mechanism was so flimsy seemed wrong. I expected a higher quality to match the price I paid. I'm not disappointed in the appearance of the door, just the functionality of it.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:

I had the same problem with the aftermarket fuel door. It was not sitting flush with the car where the lock catch and turnkey meet. There was a noticeable gap between the door and the body of the car. Turns out, to allow it to sit flush, the push spring used to hold the stock door has to be cut off. The spring is not giving the aftermarket catch enough clearance to lay flat. The diagram for the afterstock fuel door fails to mention this oversight.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
If the locking mechanism seems flimsy I wonder how easy would it be to pry this door open with a screw driver?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
If the locking mechanism seems flimsy I wonder how easy would it be to pry this door open with a screw driver?
Like I said, I'm a chick and I can pull it out with my hands. The metal piece used to lock the turnkey is as bendable as a twizzler. The only remedy I can see for this is to fabricate a stronger metal latch for the turnkey.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin1LT View Post
Like I said, I'm a chick and I can pull it out with my hands. The metal piece used to lock the turnkey is as bendable as a twizzler. The only remedy I can see for this is to fabricate a stronger metal latch for the turnkey.
So the locking gas door is pretty much worthless?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

Isn't that the brushed nickel door out of the Chevy catalog?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
Sick Rick
Baphomet's Wheelman

Drives: Everyone crazy.....
Garbage. I have it, and am gonna have to spend 3X the cost to correct the bad design flaw. You don't need a tool to open it, you can use your finger..twizzler is right, although that might be stiffer. I HATE THAT GAP. AND if you press on the door, you work the spring catch STILL which pushes it further out...looks nice, black on a black car...but trust me when I say to you..this door is a piece of shit. Absolutely. Can't believe GM authorised this one....
Sick Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rick View Post
Garbage. I have it, and am gonna have to spend 3X the cost to correct the bad design flaw. You don't need a tool to open it, you can use your finger..twizzler is right, although that might be stiffer. I HATE THAT GAP. AND if you press on the door, you work the spring catch STILL which pushes it further out...looks nice, black on a black car...but trust me when I say to you..this door is a piece of shit. Absolutely. Can't believe GM authorised this one....
When I called the company about this issue they risk me to cut off the spring catch, then it will lay flush. I haven't cut it off to find out though. I agree with you Rick...it is a a bad design, an certainly not $$$ quality.