Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
R1 a winner so far!!!

knowing the company, and the man behind the company, and using his economy line rotors , lines and pads in a big hp car in the past i gave him
anpother shot

I know about manufacturing..... His premium blanks are as good as any

the weight was sadly the same....but i got to eliminate the skate weights.

I bought Premium D/S with Hawk CP's, and SS lines +my own Motul

this is a great mod....intial bite is great/ dust is minimal/ stopping is as good or better than HPS on the brembo rotor. With better modulation

Bedding in the pads is always a chore......10 x 50mph to 20mph then cruise for a few milees cooling the rotors then 8 x 50 to 20 moderate to hard, then another 4 mile cruise (no braking....)then 2 hard stops from 50 to 10
bedded!! done......smoking a bit( normal) but done....now another 75 miles of normal braking
with my personal driving habits...with no stand on it stops ( unless you have too)
and they are ready for anything.

I'm gonna here alot of crap.....R1 blanks may not be super top notch...but they are good, there machining is great......and the price was good. customer Service couldn't be more accomodating.
cost was about $900 installed professionally and the motul was free
( i have a friend)

I have no trepidations....i won't be autocrossing......however a few laps i know it can take.

and for its intended street spirited driving it allows me more brake control, shorter if not the same stop distance , no fade.....and the Good looking D/S look we all like.

even though slotted is better.

the combo of going from HPS and solid rotors with rubber lines...

to the drilled slotted.....the ceramics which bite the D/S rotor better.(let me explain...the HPS bite the solid rotor better... a ceramic on the solid would have less friction.....but the ceramics on a D/S rotor get to HPS friction levels the drilled hole and slots create more bariers for the pad to come in contact with ...that along with the SS lines provide good initial pedalbite and a less sensative but just as good friction level. the motul is good stuff too.)

Some may think i'm flawed in my thinking but i feel the drilled slottted rotor will provide the ceramic with more friction.....why do drilled slotted eat up pads faster...because they are biting into them!!)

This combo allows me better braking modulation....plus less clean up. with excellent intial Bite and Zero FADE

for all this at this price installed $900

I give R1 concepts a A.

solid products, and the ability to customize your needs.

i've got a great addition...no squeal....and can stop on a dime and pick it up.....plus no (or little) dust

thanks R1 CONCEPTS

i mentioned Stillen rotors......as initially i was talking to them...then i ordered So there was a mix up....they sure look like stillens.

i know ( stillen don't get mad...but is R1 really inferior to yours???)

i have a brake engineer..... that has sampled almost all the rotor blanks....he says many, many ,many of the blanks are of equal quality.

lets just say R1 has a good product .....( i am sworn to not say who uses the same blanks but companie you know and trust!!)

i love em......under a grand and i feel like i went with a big brake kit!!
(sorta)
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)
former LS7, LS2 and LS1 owner.(Zo6, GTO's, WS6)

Last edited by Napper; 10-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Sweet, i had a set of rotors on a Discovery I and never had issues.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
I got em on my 4th gen. and love em. i got cross drilled. w/ hawk hps pads
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
Had a small issue with the rear Hawk ceramics pads..as they were getting some up and down movement..and noise!

I Contacted Hawk....and they sent out ( through R1 a new set of rear pads)

no more movement /noise

This R1 set up has me smiling away. Remeber this, my install was perfect and the PAD manufacturer told me some batches have had a small tolerance issue.
(This does NOT reflect on R1 ) they have been gracious.
Actually R1 was great about getting me out another set of rears in time for the weekend.

So it goes to show R1 ...went out of there way for a problem that realy wasn't theirs!!

Ceramic Hawks....with SS lines, Motul and D/S rotors feel real strong. And i have the exotic look as well.

Now the Famous Nt05's and i can faithfully defend GM's honor...lol
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)
former LS7, LS2 and LS1 owner.(Zo6, GTO's, WS6)

Last edited by Napper; 10-08-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote