Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm going to reference my response elsewhere.

Basically, you're question is inadequate. You're not providing enough information for us to help you make performance part decisions, and the information you are providing us does not give us much creativity when it comes to recommending parts.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
BlurI dont know if your last reply was inteded for me or not im just trying to Help a guy out so he isnt spending more money than needed. I'm not giving information to have anyone help me with anything...im actually helping someone or informing this person what I was told from kooks themself.

I could have read what his response was and said oh well your loss spend that money and find out for yourself but im just trying to help a Fellow American save a buck or 2. Money isnt growing on tree that well lately.

I am kind of confused if your response is replying to my last post you said

" information you are providing us does not give us much creativity when it comes to recommending parts. "

I gave kooks and Borla part numbers with descriptions I dont know whatelse anyone would or could want if they were to buy kooks or borla.

Also I hope this reply doesnt come across as me being a D!ck because im not nor am I wanting it to come that way however your repsonse that you said earlier im thankful and sorry to say None of those thing go for me.
I'm in Great shape , I have saved for this car since I was in my late teens that has been quite a long time now and every mod I am speaking of was a $5 a week put back and ready to go on my car. Saving and managing money is something I was taught how to do at an early age.
Retirement lol yeah well 401k and a savings plan at my work takes care of that for me I just up the % when the best time for me to do so.

Again if this wasnt intended for me im sorry but you didnt quote anyone.
I kind of took the response a little further than I normally would.
imjust trying to help someone and I possibly get a reply with something that doesnt pretain to me.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
BlurI dont know if your last reply was inteded for me or not im just trying to Help a guy out so he isnt spending more money than needed. I'm not giving information to have anyone help me with anything...im actually helping someone or informing this person what I was told from kooks themself.

I could have read what his response was and said oh well your loss spend that money and find out for yourself but im just trying to help a Fellow American save a buck or 2. Money isnt growing on tree that well lately.

I am kind of confused if your response is replying to my last post you said

" information you are providing us does not give us much creativity when it comes to recommending parts. "

I gave kooks and Borla part numbers with descriptions I dont know whatelse anyone would or could want if they were to buy kooks or borla.

Also I hope this reply doesnt come across as me being a D!ck because im not nor am I wanting it to come that way however your repsonse that you said earlier im thankful and sorry to say None of those thing go for me.
I'm in Great shape , I have saved for this car since I was in my late teens that has been quite a long time now and every mod I am speaking of was a $5 a week put back and ready to go on my car. Saving and managing money is something I was taught how to do at an early age.
Retirement lol yeah well 401k and a savings plan at my work takes care of that for me I just up the % when the best time for me to do so.

Again if this wasnt intended for me im sorry but you didnt quote anyone.
I kind of took the response a little further than I normally would.
imjust trying to help someone and I possibly get a reply with something that doesnt pretain to me.
I'm actually not responding to you in my last post. This is a generic response to anyone who thinks that $4,000 is adequate for someone who wants to add performance parts to a car. Basically, people who want to go faster usually want to go a lot faster or feel faster or have performance numbers that are substantially different than the car was stock. As a result, the price should be less important than the goal. If the goal is another 100hp, then the product buyer should be more focussed on the 100hp than how much it costs to make it reliable and fast.

• Cheap
• Fast
• Reliable
• Pick 2

You can spend $4,000 on a lot of things. It could be clothes or art or stock or anything you can imagine, but don't expect to spend $4,000 on a car and to be satisfied. When you start a car project, you're probably going to want to do more later, and that $4,000 becomes a lot more, even if the original budget is only $4,000. Usually, someone with this mentality is someone who has $4,000 in the bank that they want to spend on a car, but they don't know what to do. If they knew what they wanted, they would go spend all of it on that. When more money became available, instead of spending it in places they need more funding, they start all over on a forum not unlike this one asking people not unlike those of us giving advice what to do. What ends up happening is that the asker invests a lot based on some random person's advice, then comes back for more advice from someone else. At the end of this process, the person has a name brand subwoofer with a crappy amp then goes out to buy a great turbo with incomplete piping. Had the person made the turbo or the sound system their goal, that person could have spent all of the money on one thing, ending up with either a superior sound system or a complete turbo system. Do you see why this sort of planning is not thorough enough? If you are on a budget, then try to find other ways to make the money needed to meet your goals. There's always fluid donation.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #18
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
I disagree....

Sure, if you had the $$$ to throw out all at once, build your dream-ride from the get go. Sadly.. it doesn't work that way for most people modding their cars. Otherwise you'd see Lingerfarters and Nikki's all over the place.

You have a budget, you pick a component that is going to net you the best result, without needing to change it out again when you have more $$ to spend (Dont you play racing games on the X-box?? come on)...

Say this guy has a $4k budget now. They want to increase HP a little, and get a beefier sound. Ok... Mod the emission system. Throwing the car around the track and not liking the stock handling? Toss the cash at the suspension. Looking to straight up increase HP for drags? Ok.. save the cash for a supercharger..

You were right about one thing, they should have said... this is my goal, I have $4k, whats the best bang for my buck.

But I completely disagree that $4k to toss at perf parts is a waste of $$.
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #19
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Mellow - thanks for your input, I'll look into those parts. I was thinking along those same lines but a different muffler.

Blur- I said $4,000 not $1,000 and I am not going to limit my spending on this car to that either. I just have $4,000 that I figured I can comfortably "waste" on my car.
I asked a general question because I wanted to see some general answers. I paid 39,345 for my car. and put about 30% down and took out a loan for the rest. I'll have it paid in 3 years. Higher payments but I'll be paying less in interest. I just got a promotion so I'll have an extra ~950 a month that I didn't have before. So I can afford to drop another 4,000 on my car. I just want to increase the performance and make it my own car, a little less similar to the next guy with an ss rs, stripes, and a body kit. As for my future finances I'm fine in that department too. I majored in Business Mgt. I've had a roth IRA since I was 18. I max my contributions every year, and have other investments as well.
All I wanted was to see what some of our general community and experts like you would do with $4,000 bucks to spend on the "GO" not the "SHOW" part of their beloved Camaros.

I don't mean for this to sound harsh at all. I thank you all for your time and consideration in this matter.

Very Respectfully,
Lionel
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
custom intake, custom grind cam, custom exhaust, and throw the rest at getting the heads ported
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Li0nel1234

So I should wait and get a super charger?

I don't really have a set goal. I don't want to do Auto Cross, I would like to break an 11 second 1/4 mile some day. I would like to see some HP increases and a "beefy" sound. I really just wanted to see what people would do if they could drop 4,000 today on their car what would it be... I've been looking at headers and exhaust. I didn't want to make the responses biased towards that though. Just wanted some general "I would do this ____" responses. To get some fresh ideas and not have a one track mind on this you know?

Thanks again everyone
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #22
Li0nel1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
custom intake, custom grind cam, custom exhaust, and throw the rest at getting the heads ported
How much would getting the heads ported cost ~?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
How much would getting the heads ported cost ~?
depends on who you know

http://www.proheads.com/

email them or call them up. they are the ones that coaxed over 500rwhp from an LS3 vette with a h/c setup.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #24
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
study everything before you buy and price everyone

REmember this car is NEW some people will pay just to get there hands on it right now.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #25
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
4K... hmmm... street car?

Stiffer springs at minimum, full bushing replacement, etc - 1K
or
Coilovers + good alignment, bushings. May be overkill depending on the intended use - 2K

lightweight wheels, sticky tires - 1200
Oil cooler - 70. Don't leave home without it.
PS cooler - 40 No brainier if you plan on driving hard.
Aluminum/Carbon DS - 600ish give or take depending on materials, haven't gotten official weight of the LT/SS cars yet though.
Lighten as much dead weight as possible - Free
Good street pads - 200
Motul brake fluid - 70
SS braided brake lines - 140
K&N filter - 50

Well, slightly over 4K, but it's all ballpark. Save a bunch on suspension if you want to go mild with it...but don't gimp it too much. Everything else is for longevity and response

They are pigs, they need help in the weight department before adding anything else under the hood.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #26
DHMotorSports

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS S.W. m6
you can get a full exhaust system for the camaro for $2304 plus shipping. haddad motorsports has the kooks headers for around $925 and kooks mid-pipes with X-pipe for $792 and borla axlebacks system for $587 from marylandspeed. you do not have to buy kooks axle backs. do not go directly from the company they usually have higher prices. they are just trying to get your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
I called and talked to Kooks themself over the phone. I told them I saw the $2400 which consist of a Complete System for 2010 Camaro. Includes Headers, Catted X-Pipe and Kooks Mufflers for Exhaust.
I mentioned I was wanting this however I dont want there mufflers im wanting Borla. He told me instead of purchasing .....

Item 6511-Complete system 1 7/8 headers and everything listed above the best option for me or anyone who wants a different muffler installed besides theres would have to go with buying .........

Item 6511-OEMC which consist of Headers along with ( I cant remember the part number for ) extension pipes with the cats for around $1,498.00

Then you would need to go with whtever brand you want in my case borla and that would mean ordering a catback system.

He said we do not sell the headers and X pipe for the 2010 Camaro and put in a borla muffler for you. He explained Our X pipe is just like everyones ( mandrel bent tubing ) it would be better off and cheaper to just buy the headers and acessories through kooks and purchase a simple catback from borla and call it done. The catback hooks right up to our headers and extension pipes.

out the door comes out around $2,900 I think it is

he explained there is no reason to purcahse Item 6511-Complete system for $2,400 and then have to go with borla and purchase Part # 11775 Stainless Steel Rear Section "S-Type" mufflers alone for $765.99 and be stuck with our muflers which you wouldnt be using that come in our complete kit. That would come out to $3165.99

makes perfect since

Yes you can purchase the kooks headers and mid pipes for $2,400 however you gotta go through Borla and purchase there Stainless Steel Rear Section for another $800. Kooks does not sell those mufflers he explained. I even had my Fiance Call and ask the same questions and someone else on a different day gave her the same answer.
DHMotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #27
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Id get rear Nitto NT-555R drag radials 275/40/20's, Kooks longtube headers with catted x-pipe, SLP loudmouth 2 axle back exhaust, custom tune by Livernois Motorsports, custom powder-coated factory 20" wheels & last but most important 1.25" lowering springs.

Last edited by WeeZee; 07-20-2009 at 07:56 AM.
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #28
Li0nel1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
4K... hmmm... street car?

Stiffer springs at minimum, full bushing replacement, etc - 1K
or
Coilovers + good alignment, bushings. May be overkill depending on the intended use - 2K

lightweight wheels, sticky tires - 1200
Oil cooler - 70. Don't leave home without it.
PS cooler - 40 No brainier if you plan on driving hard.
Aluminum/Carbon DS - 600ish give or take depending on materials, haven't gotten official weight of the LT/SS cars yet though.
Lighten as much dead weight as possible - Free
Good street pads - 200
Motul brake fluid - 70
SS braided brake lines - 140
K&N filter - 50

Well, slightly over 4K, but it's all ballpark. Save a bunch on suspension if you want to go mild with it...but don't gimp it too much. Everything else is for longevity and response

They are pigs, they need help in the weight department before adding anything else under the hood.
What dead weight? I don't even have a spare? The back seat? Since no one sits in the back anyways...