Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #631
Fourth Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1-5th Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly2m8 View Post
It's not so much keeping the pump cool, it's keeping the pump lubricated. yes there is a cooling factor of the fuel involved, but like the lubrication, cooling is controlled by the fuel passing through the fuel pump.

One of my summer cars lives almost exclusively on a low tank of fuel, after 22 years the originial fuel pump still works.
I wasn't really asking. I was trying to let anyone know that hadn't ever heard what I have always heard from my mechanics.

Never let the fuel run out.
Fourth Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #632
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Just a reminder. If you want definative proof that you benefited, time your cars before and after.

Then there is no guessing.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #633
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
OK everybody..... Please help me out here.

I didnt time my car before I did the fuse pull, because I saw that I was getting less gas mileage than normal. SO, i figured that may be a pretty good sign, plus, I knew that either it would help, or it would do nothing at all.

Well I was wrong.

When I first started driving the car, I was getting around 14-15 mpg for the whole tank average. Also, if I reset the gauge while going 80, I consistently got 24mpg.

I decided to do the fuse pull when I noticed I was averaging 11-13 mpg for the whole tanke.... and only 19-20 for steady highway driving at 80.

SO like i said, I figured that best case scenario would be I get back the MPG i had lost... worst case scenario, nothin would change at all.

Again, I was wrong.

I now get 8-9 for a full tank average... and 17-18 at 80 mph on the highway.

Please tell me what to do now.
Do I pull fuses again??? Pull fuses and battery? Take it to the dealer, who wont know anything because they have never had a Camaro come back for any maintenance other than oil change.

Im lost
Old 12-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #634
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post

I didnt time my car before I did the fuse pull, because I saw that I was getting less gas mileage than normal. SO, i figured that may be a pretty good sign, plus, I knew that either it would help, or it would do nothing at all.

Well I was wrong.

When I first started driving the car, I was getting around 14-15 mpg for the whole tank average. Also, if I reset the gauge while going 80, I consistently got 24mpg.

I decided to do the fuse pull when I noticed I was averaging 11-13 mpg for the whole tanke.... and only 19-20 for steady highway driving at 80.

SO like i said, I figured that best case scenario would be I get back the MPG i had lost... worst case scenario, nothin would change at all.

Again, I was wrong.

Do I pull fuses again??? Pull fuses and battery? Take it to the dealer, who wont know anything because they have never had a Camaro come back for any maintenance other than oil change.

Im lost
are you gauging your mpg on the what the computer says or are you calculating it manually? were you resetting the
computer before each tank?

I guess what I'm really asking is... did you reset the computer the same way every time? I think its more accurate as far as the average over several tanks of gas. I was trying to get the mpg as low as possible one day (its a long story) but I did catch it 5.5 once. Anyway right after I reset the computer I left it up on the DIC and noticed the reading was all over the place before it finally settled down. Maybe resetting the fuses throws it off for a bit. I think I'd ride it out a bit before taking it to the dealer or pulling the fuses again.
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #635
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post
are you gauging your mpg on the what the computer says or are you calculating it manually? were you resetting the
computer before each tank?

I guess what I'm really asking is... did you reset the computer the same way every time? I think its more accurate as far as the average over several tanks of gas. I was trying to get the mpg as low as possible one day (its a long story) but I did catch it 5.5 once. Anyway right after I reset the computer I left it up on the DIC and noticed the reading was all over the place before it finally settled down. Maybe resetting the fuses throws it off for a bit. I think I'd ride it out a bit before taking it to the dealer or pulling the fuses again.
I reset the meter every time i get gas... and see the average once the tank is empty

I used to check it manually but I found that the computer was pretty spot on and trustworthy.
As for resetting it while driving, yeah it goes crazy, but thats only if you are driving different speeds.. it shows the actual mileage at that instant and so long as you stay in the same gear, at the same speed, and on fairly level roads.. your gas mileage doesnt change

To rule out any computer errors.... regardless of what the MPG gauge is reading.. my odometer tells me the same story.. Im getting considerably less miles to the gallon now
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #636
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

Well I was wrong.

Again, I was wrong.

Im lost
Quote:
I reset the meter every time i get gas... and see the average once the tank is empty

I used to check it manually but I found that the computer was pretty spot on and trustworthy.
As for resetting it while driving, yeah it goes crazy, but thats only if you are driving different speeds.. it shows the actual mileage at that instant and so long as you stay in the same gear, at the same speed, and on fairly level roads.. your gas mileage doesnt change

To rule out any computer errors.... regardless of what the MPG gauge is reading.. my odometer tells me the same story.. Im getting considerably less miles to the gallon now
Hmmmmmm, odd. Don't flame me for repeating, I know you said you didn't time it the first time. How bout timing it while you're getting poor mileage, then do the fuse pull and time it again. My car is still running fast. If your car is running on the low table it will be a full at least a full second slower and up tp a second and a half. 0-60 OR quarter mile.

It's the best way to know. Might be the only real way to know.

Last edited by PQ; 12-21-2009 at 02:31 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #637
Lakotah

Drives: 2015 1LE Charcoal Grey
Dyno Pull

Here is mine. Can anybody explain this to me. It is way down from what I have seen from others. Plus, it is a very rough pull and not smooth like the others.

2010 Camaro
2SS Auto
6.2 L99
Attached Images

Lakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #638
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotah View Post
Here is mine. Can anybody explain this to me. It is way down from what I have seen from others. Plus, it is a very rough pull and not smooth like the others.

2010 Camaro
2SS Auto
6.2 L99

You should be up around 320 rwhp. You need to do the fuse pull mod. Make sure you only have 92+ Octane in your tank.

Make sure the engine and ignition are turned off
Locate Fuse Panel in front of the passenger's side front strut tower and pull the cover
Remove #5 and #20 (15A fuses) (photo of location below)
Let the car sit for at least several hours (overnight is preferable)
Install #5 and #20 (15A) fuses
Install Fuse Panel cover
Restart vehicle and enjoy
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #639
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
my car feel like it pulls like 426hp but i get a rough idle rpms jump a lil.. think i benefit from pulling fuses?

i have a LS3
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #640
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
my car feel like it pulls like 426hp but i get a rough idle rpms jump a lil.. think i benefit from pulling fuses?

i have a LS3
with a LS3 you will only put down about 365 rwhp ~ that's pretty standard. If the car feels fine to you when driving then don't do anything. The idle will flucuate a little. If its running rough make sure you have the right octane fuel and do the fuse pull. Some have reported pulling the battery for the night in the LS3 produced better results. Its your choice.
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #641
GQ4Life

i have the right gas.. 93 octane usually mobil 1 thats whats here..
i never put less then 93 in my cars..
i might try the fuse pull tonight..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 12-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #642
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotah View Post

2010 Camaro
2SS Auto
6.2 L99
If that A/F ratio is accurate, you may not be running on the low table. Kinda looks like they didn't hook it up maybe.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #643
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
If that A/F ratio is accurate, you may not be running on the low table. Kinda looks like they didn't hook it up maybe.
def couldnt bee hooked up.. car ecu would pull timing till there was way less then that HP.. plus it was way too smooth..

he could of got a batch of bad gas.. try fuse pull and re-dyno
Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #644
Lakotah

Drives: 2015 1LE Charcoal Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
You should be up around 320 rwhp. You need to do the fuse pull mod. Make sure you only have 92+ Octane in your tank.

Make sure the engine and ignition are turned off
Locate Fuse Panel in front of the passenger's side front strut tower and pull the cover
Remove #5 and #20 (15A fuses) (photo of location below)
Let the car sit for at least several hours (overnight is preferable)
Install #5 and #20 (15A) fuses
Install Fuse Panel cover
Restart vehicle and enjoy

If I told you I did it and let it sit for 24hrs. would you believe me?
Well I did. I have only put 93 in it since I got the car. Read the fuse pull thread and tried it. No change.

Anybody with any other ideas, I am beginning to wonder if I don't have something else going on?
Lakotah is offline   Reply With Quote