Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #99
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Maybe this will help?
http://youtu.be/tEg13Iki_YM
This says nothing about the suspension and steering inputs. Only power limiting, shift RPM, launch rpm, track data acquisition.

ZL1 has magnetic ride control and variable electronic steering that completely changes the car in the 5 performance traction mode. Steering gets tight, suspension flat and nannies disabled.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N_xBMK6802k

You guys see the fun video of the Mustangs bouncing off curbs, median sections and passing traffic?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 07-20-2014 at 03:20 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #100
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This pricing reinforces that the vehicle's engineering is not up to par. There's no way they could afford this price with a modern suspension. While the horsepower and interior equipment is respectable, the complete lack of refinement reflects typical Dodge "engineering".
Opinion sounds biased. Refinement how can you even tell on handling when nothing has been released? At this point it is just assumptions. Also on reflection on engineering I am sure we can fine issue with all three GM, Dodge and Ford.

Had chevy just released this info everyone would be excited. For the price and HP it rocks and puts the ZL1 to shame. It just shows Dodge can produce a car that fits customers pocketbooks.

I know people are hanging on to the z/28 but it is purpose built car that very few are really going to buy and use. Most are at dealers at over MSRP and collecting dust. From my perspective the Z/28 ifs GM's Viper. It is over priced and not moving. At least for GM they did not build too many.

The challenger with the new options ,choices and prices sales will increase. I say challenger because after seeing the charger and talking to fellow mopar enthusiast I have a feeling it will decline.

Oh BTW ... dodge listened to consumers when they asked for BLUE and Green. I don't see that in the line up for the camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I think that's too much power for 275 tires on 9.5 wheels.
You should be able to fit 295 35 series on the back. My camaro is currently running that size and is at 700HP so tire should be fine for car
Old 07-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #101
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
This says nothing about the suspension and steering inputs. Only power limiting, shift RPM, launch rpm, track data acquisition.
You guys see the fun video of the Mustangs bouncing off curbs, median sections and passing traffic?
You can adjust for street, track and strip. You can select what level, (there's 3), you want as well for the transmission, traction and suspension. I guess it doesn't explain it, but I think there are OVER 100 settings the driver can set up and save. Just watch any of the track videos of the HC and that'll answer your questions. The beast can handle as well.

Why change of subject to the Mustang idiot drivers? There are idiots that drive all brands of muscle cars. You didn't know that?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #102
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
All I know is that Stielow will be working on some awesome suspension for the Camaro's future. I'm sure they'll be back to being the best on the road course.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #103
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
It's interesting to see all the points brought up here and I appreciate the input that you all have provided, but I still have some questions for Chevy? If it's possible that Ford and Dodge managed to squeeze more horses out of their beasts, improve in the areas of steering, braking, suspension (albeit not to the level of the ZL1) and still remain comparable in pricing, is it not also possible that we overpaid for the almighty ZL1? I got mine at MSRP $60,195 (A6, Sunroof, polished aluminum wheels), but that's still vexes me a bit when looking at the $59,995 price of the Hellcat. I'm sure there is more testing, tuning and ingenuity behind the ZL1, but how much better is the car all around? Even if we all agree it's a better car, could Chevy have done more for the same price? I mean the 13-14 GT500 is nothing shy of an amazing muscle car in its own right. It may have a live rear axle and less responsive suspension but those differences are negligible to most drivers and even those who care can't really tell the difference, and 662 HP make up for some of what it lacks. Not to mention the 300 lb difference between it and the ZL1. At 707 HP, the Hellcat is ridiculous, but that's not it. Look at the technology in the new Hell cat. Two separate key fobs, a large in dash screen that controls all of the drive modes and other driver selectable settings. An upgraded suspension and bigger brakes. I think Dodge probably went the furthest with the innovation and the interior of the Hellcat is just beautiful! I'm not complaining though. I love my car...I just wonder if Chevy couldn't have done more.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #104
96MrBass

Drives: GM
So what's the average price looking like now?
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #105
96MrBass

Drives: GM
anyone?
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #106
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
^ depends on what options you want. Someone posted a pic of the price breakdown of the car and its options. I believe base msrp is $57,xxx before taxes and destination and $59,xxx for an auto after destination fee's and GG tax. Now if you want averages you're gonna have to get your hands on sales/ option take rate figures and do some math.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #107
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
It's interesting to see all the points brought up here and I appreciate the input that you all have provided, but I still have some questions for Chevy? If it's possible that Ford and Dodge managed to squeeze more horses out of their beasts, improve in the areas of steering, braking, suspension (albeit not to the level of the ZL1) and still remain comparable in pricing, is it not also possible that we overpaid for the almighty ZL1? I got mine at MSRP $60,195 (A6, Sunroof, polished aluminum wheels), but that's still vexes me a bit when looking at the $59,995 price of the Hellcat. I'm sure there is more testing, tuning and ingenuity behind the ZL1, but how much better is the car all around? Even if we all agree it's a better car, could Chevy have done more for the same price? I mean the 13-14 GT500 is nothing shy of an amazing muscle car in its own right. It may have a live rear axle and less responsive suspension but those differences are negligible to most drivers and even those who care can't really tell the difference, and 662 HP make up for some of what it lacks. Not to mention the 300 lb difference between it and the ZL1. At 707 HP, the Hellcat is ridiculous, but that's not it. Look at the technology in the new Hell cat. Two separate key fobs, a large in dash screen that controls all of the drive modes and other driver selectable settings. An upgraded suspension and bigger brakes. I think Dodge probably went the furthest with the innovation and the interior of the Hellcat is just beautiful! I'm not complaining though. I love my car...I just wonder if Chevy couldn't have done more.

I think GM did just fine with the ZL1. They brought you technology that you could only get in more expensive cars, magnetic suspension and the supercharged engine. Neither the GT500 nor the Challenger offer anything quite like the suspension in the ZL1. Sure they both offer a lot of power, and the suspensions are pretty good, but that mag ride is a really trick piece.

I'm pretty sure GM will respond to both cars power wise soon, and where we go from there is anyone's guess!

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote