Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 07-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #1
Mr Notorious

Drives: 2011 SS - SOLD
Tires for Autocross

I just bought a 2013 ZL1 bone stock, 30k mikes. It came with BFG G-Force Comp 2's, which is a 400 tread wear. They have some good life left, maybe 65% tread still left. But I'm not overly impressed with the tire's traction, at least they have a good speed rating and ride smooth.

I bought this car for a weekend cruiser and an autocross & track car. I live in Florida and I won't be driving it in any temps below 60 degrees. No plans to drive it in the rain, but could get caught in a rain storm heading home from the track.

Previously I had a 2011 SS for 10 years, put about 150k miles on it, and I ran Nitto Invo's religiously (260 treadwear). I felt they were a good match for the SS, it was rare that I would lose traction under power. They held up good at track events, Sebring, and of course on-ramps.

But for my Zl1, I can't decide if I should buy a 2nd set of wheels and track tires (100-200 tread wear) and swap them for track days, or if I should just get a 200-250 tread wear tire and see how that goes?

Is it possible / beneficial to run a 18/19" wheel without any modifications?

I really want to be able to push the car on the track and be confident with the tires I have.
Mr Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
ChuckZL1

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL-1
Get a second set of wheels and tires. I have two sets and love it. Best of both worlds.
ChuckZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Notorious View Post

Is it possible / beneficial to run a 18/19" wheel without any modifications?
Absolutely. You will have more shoulder height on the tire, and can get more patch on the pavement depending on which wheels you purchase.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Best 200 tread wear tire for autocross is the Bridgestone RE-71R..... hands down.

If you really want to push the envelope, like others have said, get a second set of rims. I believe CAM-C allows all stock rim options for that specific make. So a rs, ss or zl1 could run z/28 rims. I know CAM-C is limited to 200 tread wear where the RE-71s would shine.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. As for actually tracking for road course, no idea.

My 1LE i ran MPSS and MP4S. Both are good if you want a tire that you can DD and remain competitive and then drive home and be comfortable in FL rain.