Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
pensphan87

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible Bliss
If its just a toy the ZL1 if u r a serious performance drive the ZR1

Long live American muscle!
pensphan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
If I had the money to buy a ZR1 I'd almost save $20,000 and get the Z06 carbon equivalent (you can order the CFZ and Z07 package instead of the limited edition). Lighter, cheaper, and almost as good as the ZR1.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Todd3544

Drives: 12 Camaro 2SS/RS, 11 Denali, 08 HD
ZR1 - by far the "best bang for the buck" supercar out there. They are simply a menacing automobile. Secondly, you would probably be one of the very few people in So IL. who have one, where as Camaro's are more prevalent, and would simply stun all of the redneck, methheads, who are dressed in camo year round, whom would have the privileged of you driving past them in a car worth more money than they will ever see.

BTW, I grew up in Marion, I feel you pain. Got out as fast as I could!
Todd3544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
Rahtok

Drives: Nissan 350z
Perhaps a practical consideration is this: getting in and out of a Camaro is considerably easier than getting in and out of a Corvette. I'm having a similar decision dilemma. I spent a few hours with a fantastic sales guy at one of my local Chevy dealerships the other day. Sitting in the Camaros and the Vettes trying to decide which way to go. There are 09 Z06s out there in the high 50s and low 60s with 5k to 10k miles on them. The Vettes actually fit better and have nifty things like keyless ignition, auto climate control, and a NAV system. Those may be nitpicks, but I typically keep my cars for 7 to 10 years. I take care of them, and I want them to be perfect (at least to me) because I don't want to get in each day and say "Damn, I wish I had (feature X)." I love the backseat in the Camaro (I've got kids) and frankly I just love the menacing, hulking look of the Camaro. So I still sit undecided. The lack of color palette on the 12s is not helping either.

I saw someone else mentioned a GTR. It should be noted that 06 to 08 AM Vantages have fallen in to your stated price range as well. Maybe not as fast as the Vettes, but... AMs are practically Sex on Wheels molded in Steel.

Not sure if it's any help, but I feel your pain!
Rahtok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
My question is, how can you make an informative decision about a vehicle that is not even in production yet? That's like comparing apples to the imaginary orange.
I say wait for the ZL-1 to be released, then test drive it and the vette. Then pick the car you like best.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
bada

Drives: 1932 pro street truck ZO6 LS7 power
The ZR1 is awsume. My friend works for GM & he has driven several ZR1s. And according to him its the baddest car he has ever been in. He has also installed a couple of superchargers on the new camaros. According to him they run good & are fun cars. But cant compare to the vette. Its no contest!!!!!!!!! The vette all the way.
bada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
OPTION1
New ZL1 55k with 30k in mods
OR
OPTION2
09 ZR1 VETTE (im finding them with 5-10k miles for 80-90k)
It's an interesting muse that's for sure. I grew up watching Corvette's as a kid and getting excited every time I saw one. Then something happened in the 60's when other muscle cars began really hitting the scene. I noticed myself beginning to appreciate other cars besides the vette. Then the 70's came and the styling of the Vette took a dive IMO and hasnt really recovered. The ZL1 however . . . Everytime I see a picture or clip of one it stirs within my soul.

I could probably afford a Z06 if I wanted one, but personally, I am opting for the ZL1 with mods. In the end Bro it will boil down to what stirs your soul and if you choose to go the ZR1 route . . . You wont lose any respect from me.

Last edited by BiggFoot; 08-31-2011 at 01:18 PM.
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
CAMAROZL1

Drives: Point A to B Car until ZL1

How can you say no to that?

That thing is gorgeous, I say get it!

You get a LOT for your money, not to mention you're getting it even cheaper. My opinion: don't get it in yellow.

Think about it:

Carbon Ceramic Brakes (Same on an Ferrari Enzo)
636 Supercharged Ponies
0-60 in about 3.3 seconds.
A Certified 200+ top speed (205ish)

I'm sorry but the Camaro isn't even a choice in this matter, and I LOVE Camaros.

But Vettes are just beasts!

I mean, this is a choice where you CAN'T lose, haha. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #23
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Definately ZR1...

not to mention putting 30k in a ZL1 is like Paying $500 extra for a special color and repainting it before you leave the dealership. If your going to dump a ton of cash into a ZL1, start with the SS and dump 50k into it. You'd end up replacing the same parts anyway.
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
OPTION1
New ZL1 55k with 30k in mods
OR
OPTION2
09 ZR1 VETTE (im finding them with 5-10k miles for 80-90k)
Here's a non-biased logical response to your question.

Why buy a ZL1; Remove the engine to stroke, forge, re-supercharge, upgrade stock suspension (my opinion is the stock ZL1 stuff is better than stock SS, but not better than aftermarket products)?

This will be around $85k; And, then when all said and done no warranty, and still SS's out there that will be on par with the ZL1 or even better depending on the decisions you make on your ZL1 build.

If you really want a Camaro get a used SS, drop the $30k in it and done, you'll have a serious ride that will exceed the stock ZL1 specs. and you'll save tons of $$$.

On the other hand you can take your overall budget of $85k and get a kick-ass ZR1 and be done with it. The car was built ground up to handle huge power (and boost without engine blowing up), and doesn't need any mods.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Here's a non-biased logical response to your question.

Why buy a ZL1; Remove the engine to stroke, forge, re-supercharge, upgrade stock suspension (my opinion is the stock ZL1 stuff is better than stock SS, but not better than aftermarket products)?

This will be around $85k; And, then when all said and done no warranty, and still SS's out there that will be on par with the ZL1 or even better depending on the decisions you make on your ZL1 build.

If you really want a Camaro get a used SS, drop the $30k in it and done, you'll have a serious ride that will exceed the stock ZL1 specs. and you'll save tons of $$$.

On the other hand you can take your overall budget of $85k and get a kick-ass ZR1 and be done with it. The car was built ground up to handle huge power (and boost without engine blowing up), and doesn't need any mods.
These are great points (aside from the "logical" comment). If you aren't stuck on ZL1 (which I don't think you are, since you're considering ZR1), then why not do a lot of what this post suggests? Even if you do spend near the same amount as the cost of the 'Vette, I think you certainly could build a faster, and even stronger car than ZL1. There are definately improvements that could be made in the motor and the aftermarket is there for the suspension and chassis. Unless the name has any meaning to you, this is a great alternative, too.

Great points.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #26
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Ok 2CND CHANCE im not bragging about my budget. My ss is sold. And I was just simply trying to get some feedback from guys who have owned or driven a zr1. I live in Southern IL I just can't walk down the street and test drive a ZR1. In fact I haven't even seen one on the road where I live. I don't have time to live on camaro5 and research for hours on end. Just asking opinions from guys who have had experience with the car. Isn't what this website if for??? To gather info from each other. So if your going to make bitter smartass childish comments then don't.
I guess I'm just suprised that someone with the ability to afford that much car would ask people they don't even know what they should purchase. I know what makes me happy add in some research and I'm buying. Asking others to make the decision shows either a lack of confidence or screams hey look at what I can afford. Either way it seems as "you" say childish.

Oh and there is no bitterness, why?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #27
|BLACKSS|

Drives: BLACK 1SS
Im not screaming look what I can afford its comments like that that make you sound pissy and bitter. I don't see any thing wrong with asking fellow c5 members opinions here again you contesting that makes you sound pissy and bitter. If you don't have any usefull info then don't comment you getting bent out of shape makes you sound childish
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #28
|BLACKSS|

Drives: BLACK 1SS
I have been thinking and researching when I can driving myself crazy so I thought what the hell ill get some out of the box opinions so I posted. Most of the guys that post had good ideas and points that I could think on. Your post was a bitchy ass worthless post and it pissed me off.