Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #379
PSSIRAB

Drives: 2010 Synergy - 2017 Krypton 1LE
Most posters on here must be younger than 50 years old. Otherwise, chances are that they spent their early years driving a rear wheel drive vehicle in the winter.
PSSIRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #380
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
I would not drive my Camaro in the snow at all. Back on Dec. 19, 2009, I was driving from Fredericksburg, Va, from work after getting off at 11pm and it was snowing. I did not get home until 3AM. I drove 30 miles, it took 3-4 hours to get home. It will not be something not going to do again.
I have been here since 2005 prevouis lived in Tampa, Florida. It would be better to drive a 4WD than risking driving a 2WD in the snow. Back in Dec 19, I-95 in Virginia Code Black, where they would not tow a vehicle in that weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSoldier View Post
I was wondering how the camaro drives in the snow. I live in Virginia and for the past 2 years, we been getting alot of snow.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #381
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSSIRAB View Post
Most posters on here must be younger than 50 years old. Otherwise, chances are that they spent their early years driving a rear wheel drive vehicle in the winter.
I spun my 1983 Pontiac Bonneville around on the snow once. I learned real quick how to drive rear wheel drive on the snow.

You have to turn off the traction control, and try to get the camaro to spin around. It will start to pull a little sideways, but won't let you do that.

If someone says the Camaro doesn't drive worth a darn on the snow, they are driving with summer only tires. That's a mistake waiting to happen. The Pirelli scorpion ice and snow are winter performance tires, you can run up to 150mph on!
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #382
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSSIRAB View Post

The experience doesn't make a rear wheel drive car anymore optimized for snow driving.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #383
GPGuy

Drives: Grand Prix & Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
After re-reading the manual, I see that you are correct.
I remember learning that the heard way with the first car I had that had Traction Control. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't move and then just as a test I turned it off and away I went.

Glad to hear these cars are pretty good in the snow for a RWD car as this is one of the considerations that's holding it back from my driveway currently. But everything else seems to push me in the direction of getting one.
GPGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #384
avpduke93

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Camaro in the Snow

Just got back from the hotel I had to stay in last night because I could not get home with an inch of snow on the roads last night. Wow. Not the car for a 16 year old...I was lucky not to spin out on the LIE and get rammed by trucks doing 55.
avpduke93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #385
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by avpduke93 View Post
Just got back from the hotel I had to stay in last night because I could not get home with an inch of snow on the roads last night. Wow. Not the car for a 16 year old...I was lucky not to spin out on the LIE and get rammed by trucks doing 55.
If your gonna drive in the winter you need snow tires. My SS/RS did just fine all last winter.

Name:  39.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0557.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  106.0 KB
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #386
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post

If someone says the Camaro doesn't drive worth a darn on the snow, they are driving with summer only tires. That's a mistake waiting to happen. The Pirelli scorpion ice and snow are winter performance tires, you can run up to 150mph on!
X2

PAY ATTENTION to those of us who actually know how to drive rear wheel driven cars. Snow tires. Snow tires. There, I said it twice.

I used 18 in. MODA tires and wheels I purchased from Tire Rack, with Firestone WinterForce tires. They work great, and actually do fit (I had to pull off a couple of the stick-on wheel squeal reducers since they interfered with the inner wheel). Second season with them, I'm ready for the snow.

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #387
metaphysician

Drives: 2SSRS CGM & Harley Crossbones
My SS is a daily driver, all weather! I installed Pirelli Scorpion Ice/Snow and that combined with the better weight distribution of the Gen5, will serve you well in the winter. You absolutely need to adjust your driving for the conditions but you should be okay. Use your best discretion for days where you should just stay home though. Snow = fun parking lot donuts...into the parking spot!

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #388
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
I don't know what's wrong with the new 5th gen Camaros. The old ones seem to do fine in the snow....

Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #389
mel0629
Black Madness

Drives: Black 2012 1LT/RS
I feel your concerns, I too have the same concerns I am a newly proud owner of a 2012 2ls AT and I have been getting so much negative feedback that i'm wondering if i made the right choice in getting my camaro I just picked it up 2 weeks ago and I'm having a blast I love it....but I dont have the luxury of putting it away for the winter. it was recommended to put sand bags in the truck. I'll say this i'm 43 and have driven plenty of cars, I will be careful when driving in extreme weather its all i can do.
mel0629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #390
swisscheese

Drives: '91 Z28, '11 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
My SS is a daily driver, all weather! I installed Pirelli Scorpion Ice/Snow and that combined with the better weight distribution of the Gen5, will serve you well in the winter.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
You absolutely need to adjust your driving for the conditions
And this you need to do with every car in winter conditions

gone: '10 Camaro SS, LS3, black, iom-stripes, io-interior, custom-shifter, Hotchkis lowering springs, GMPP-mufflers, tinted windows, Vararam-ed and Jannetty-tuned, RX Catch Can

'91 Camaro Z28, 305TPI, black, iom-stripes, some goodies
swisscheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #391
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel0629 View Post
I feel your concerns, I too have the same concerns I am a newly proud owner of a 2012 2ls AT and I have been getting so much negative feedback that i'm wondering if i made the right choice in getting my camaro I just picked it up 2 weeks ago and I'm having a blast I love it....but I dont have the luxury of putting it away for the winter. it was recommended to put sand bags in the truck. I'll say this i'm 43 and have driven plenty of cars, I will be careful when driving in extreme weather its all i can do.
I'm in a midwest snowbelt in northern Indiana, and I had a 2LT that I drove for 2 winters. It was a DREAM in the snow with SNOW TIRES. Get snow tires and you will rock the winter.

As said, drive safely, look out for idiots, and for God's sake get some snow tires. The traction control, Stabilitrak and common sense with the right tires will do you fine.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #392
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Well Hopefully North Carolina will not be getting that much snow. I will not be able to put all season tires on the Camaro and will have to go through the winter with the summer tires. I hope nothing happens!!!!
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, winter