Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
adg5151

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Kooks headers and outlaw catback too loud?

I currently have the outlaw catback on my 2013 2SS with a CAI and a tune. I absolutely love the sound but am looking for some performance gains. I want to get Kooks 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats. Hearing how much louder an all stock SS gets with headers and high flow cats makes me worried that it might be a little insane with the outlaw catback. Anyone have any experience with this setup? If not this setup, what about another loud catback with an x pipe?
adg5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers and borla atak 2.5 inch catback - from what I read on this site majority of people agree that is one of the loudest set up you can get.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
burnningice

Drives: 2016 SS Mosaic Black
I have kooks and outlaws. It can be a bit loud. Hopefully it's not your daily. If you can keep it under 1500 rpm you'll be fine but if you go over 4k it is deafening outside. I would have done American thunder in hindsight.
burnningice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnningice View Post
I have kooks and outlaws. It can be a bit loud. Hopefully it's not your daily. If you can keep it under 1500 rpm you'll be fine but if you go over 4k it is deafening outside. I would have done American thunder in hindsight.
I just put headers on my American thunder. It's very loud to me and my standard. My is a daily. I thought about outlaws but I dropped out the idea😐
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
burnningice

Drives: 2016 SS Mosaic Black
burnningice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
Have thought about that setup. I have kooks headers Flow AT. Love it, there a lot of cars that have the'outlaw' style. They are a bit louder from a bystander viewpoint. But I believe they are not too loud from a LEO point of view IMO. I am not LEO

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
I'd recommend making sure you do high flow cats. It will really make a difference at highway speeds. You will basically have straight pipes. As said above, it is one of the loudest options available. If you're going to add a cam later I'd recommend finding someone in your area with a similar setup and listening to theirs. You may want to consider the American Thunder system. It will still sound great, it will still be loud, but the American Thunders are toned down a little from the Outlaws.

cell phone audio quality doesn't do it justice, but the exhaust sounds awesome in person!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have 2" Longtubes with no cats, no resonators, and no mufflers... and it's not as loud as you'd think. The only time it's super loud is on a cold start for about 5 minutes, and at wide open throttle. At a cruise, or at a warm idle, it's not that loud. With an actual catback, I don't see there being any loudness issues... especially if you still have the stock resonators installed.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote