Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #141
JM10
Se habla español

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkjadams View Post
Bro, just wait in line like the rest of us.... If you don't beleave there claims then just move on......... Stop tring to get something for nothing!

Ray

If you are happy with your setup then why
Excellent numbers BTW

Whipple guys please feel free to open a new thread if you have an update or new pics. This one is turning into a roots vs screw comparison

JM
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #142
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
You could say the same thing about GM using Magnacharger for their LS9 and LSA and not Whipple. I am not saying Whipple is not good - I have seen the youtube videos and heard about their supercharger. It is very good. I would just like to see what a Whipple would do on the same car with the same boost. It's just a comparison
u could also argue saying that ford is smarter then gm. theyve done FI engines longer then gm has. previous lightinings, termi's, gt500's, ford GT supercar. ford GT uses a twinscrew, gt500 has an UPGRADE to a WHipple. u can say ford knows what theyre doing hence why theyre not bankrupt and gm is. yadda yadda.

both are excellent power adders. its just that one has proven time and time again to be a superior product when u want to make high hp and be efficient. i've been a fan of PD blowers for years. i just like twinscrews better cuz theyve proven time and time again to out do a maggie. not saying the tvs is a bad unit. but as stated no replacement for displacement.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #143
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
You could say the same thing about GM using Magnacharger for their LS9 and LSA and not Whipple. I am not saying Whipple is not good - I have seen the youtube videos and heard about their supercharger. It is very good. I would just like to see what a Whipple would do on the same car with the same boost. It's just a comparison

Can't wait to see the Whipples come out, so members can get a fair comparison of how the twin screws are going to perform. If they are superior to the TVS while running low boost on stock cubes (which is where the vast majority of members will be), alot of members are gonna be ticked because alot of TVS's are out there now.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #144
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Can't wait to see the numbers, but even on the FORD forums you can see what is being stated here just isn't true. You can't compare what is going on in the 03/04 community and GT500 community to a stock internals LS3 setup. You will not be running the high boost where the larger displacement blower will outshine a smaller displacement blower. Does the likes of whipple and KB with larger blowers have more potential? YES. They may also be a little more efficeient than the TVS, but at low boost, you will NOT see gigantic gains of 50+ HP difference, and if you do, it is fabricated. I woudln't expect real world applications to show this.

You see this all the time even in higher boost applications: MY KB is better than your Whipple .. My Whipple is better than your KB. You can find REAL data to support both arguments. So is one really better than the other?

Either way, the community will win as there will be more choices available and that is NOT a bad thing.

Honestly .. I hope I am wrong and at 6psi and the same setups as a maggie Camaro we see 600+ rwhp machines with the great TQ curve we love from these top mounts. What I am really waiting for though is to see a fully forged setup running some high boost!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #145
1sickta

Drives: 91 Camaro, 95 Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
What I am really waiting for though is to see a fully forged setup running some high boost!

Talk Pharmd into putting his 418 stroker into his camaro instead of the tbss
1sickta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #146
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Can't wait to see the numbers, but even on the FORD forums you can see what is being stated here just isn't true. You can't compare what is going on in the 03/04 community and GT500 community to a stock internals LS3 setup. You will not be running the high boost where the larger displacement blower will outshine a smaller displacement blower. Does the likes of whipple and KB with larger blowers have more potential? YES. They may also be a little more efficeient than the TVS, but at low boost, you will NOT see gigantic gains of 50+ HP difference, and if you do, it is fabricated. I woudln't expect real world applications to show this.

You see this all the time even in higher boost applications: MY KB is better than your Whipple .. My Whipple is better than your KB. You can find REAL data to support both arguments. So is one really better than the other?

Either way, the community will win as there will be more choices available and that is NOT a bad thing.

Honestly .. I hope I am wrong and at 6psi and the same setups as a maggie Camaro we see 600+ rwhp machines with the great TQ curve we love from these top mounts. What I am really waiting for though is to see a fully forged setup running some high boost!
I vote for a comparison using a stock LS3 top end (but built bottom end)
Test 1 at 6-7 psi, and test 2 at 12 psi
Or have two test motors, a stock L99 for test 1, then for test 2, the vendors install their blower on a modified 9/1 comp LS3 motor and pulley it for 12 psi
Get 3 or 4 positive displacement blowers, as well as a Vortech and Procharger
Record all the important parameters, and that would be a test I’d pay money to read.

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #147
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickta View Post
Talk Pharmd into putting his 418 stroker into his camaro instead of the tbss
Sean, when these cats from TX started talking about the Fastest L99, essentially putting down all our hard work...the thought did enter my mind...forged 418 + 16psi=fastest L99

Then I woke up from my day dream and realized if I did that I would probably be divorced, AND we still don't have an oil pan for that motor...LOL LOL
Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #148
1sickta

Drives: 91 Camaro, 95 Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Sean, when these cats from TX started talking about the Fastest L99, essentially putting down all our hard work...the thought did enter my mind...forged 418 + 16psi=fastest L99

Then I woke up from my day dream and realized if I did that I would probably be divorced, AND we still don't have an oil pan for that motor...LOL LOL

The oil pan is for the TBSS not the Camaro

Only bad part about your statement about being the fastest L99 is that if you put the stroker in it, it wouldn't be a L99 anymore. You might just have to shot for the fastest 10 camaro.

Last edited by 1sickta; 10-01-2009 at 06:44 AM.
1sickta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #149
nfamous209

Quote:
I just paid major $$ for all that I have on my car....money I saved 2 years for, I wouldnt say I got that for nothing...

What I was proposing is no different than what jannetty racing is doing with CAI's, I don't see anyone making a post like yours to them....

I have no horse in the race, I'm an enthusiast just like the majority of folks on here...the whipple folks told me my results were OK, but I could make 50rwhp with a simple blower swap. So I said fine, show me. That is all....did you even read all the posts in the thread?
umm $200-$300 compared to a $6000+ unit completely different. then tell me how will one sell a used supercharger unit, regardless of who wins?

plus u should be more clear in what u want as well as jannetty racing, now i didnt read all the details of the intake test. but when testing they should not tune cuz one could argue stating that one was tuned better then the other. so w/ the supercharger unit u would want to use the tune that whipple and magna provide or else results can easily be skewed.

i'm sure there will be pleanty of companies out that have installed a magna 2300 and 1900 that will install a whipple and i'm sure they'll be able to give u their honest opinion.

also keep in mind every dyno is different. u never answered my questions as to what u dynoed before the 1900 install and if it was on the same dyno. also if the cam u listed in ur sig was installed at the same time. cuz if the cam was installed then ur claims of dynoing as much as the 2300 would be skewed.

also keep in mind that smaller supercharger is probably in its perfect efficiency range at 8 psi thus making same power as the 2300. i'm sure if the 2300 were to get a few more psi. the results would be huge cuz then it would be in its greatest efficiency point. thats going by the tvs performance maps, dont know what pulley size ur using.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #150
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
It seems like you guys are getting all your ducts in a row, but when will you have info and units available for us?
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #151
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
It seems like you guys are getting all your ducts in a row, but when will you have info and units available for us?
In a earlier post he said 90 days which puts us at mid december.
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #152
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
Thanks, I missed that.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #153
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
umm $200-$300 compared to a $6000+ unit completely different. then tell me how will one sell a used supercharger unit, regardless of who wins?

So they don't have any test units laying around their shop that are already used???They are just going to make new units and sell them without doing in-house testing...so they can't send out one of those units?

plus u should be more clear in what u want as well as jannetty racing, now i didnt read all the details of the intake test. but when testing they should not tune cuz one could argue stating that one was tuned better then the other. so w/ the supercharger unit u would want to use the tune that whipple and magna provide or else results can easily be skewed.

Can be done either way, as either way could be argued as being best....Can do same tune on both with no changes, and can tune both for optimized power. Sure to create a control for all intakes being tested they are not going to tune for them, BUT IMHO the vast majority of folks using an intake WILL get a tune to MAXIMIZE power gain. One intake may gain a larger amount with a tune than another, thus making the no-tune test skewed in favor of less powerful intakes. So to me, doing it both ways shows you both sides of the story. As long as the same person does all the tuning, and using the same tuning methology throughout the testing test variability should be minimized. When we do studies in medicine, sometimes "controls" like this must be used, its not "perfect" but in some situations its all you have. BTW my TVS was a custom kit, didn't come from Magna and I did even get a tune from them. BTW you should read the CAI test thread its gonna be a good test.

i'm sure there will be pleanty of companies out that have installed a magna 2300 and 1900 that will install a whipple and i'm sure they'll be able to give u their honest opinion.

And as long as they are "selling" the unit in question, IMO you are not going to get an unbiased opinion. JMHO You have to have someone who is not selling or connected to any company selling the product or a related product (for instance, selling heat exchangers that particularly benefit or only work with one blower or ther other...this is just a hypothetical example).

also keep in mind every dyno is different. u never answered my questions as to what u dynoed before the 1900 install and if it was on the same dyno. also if the cam u listed in ur sig was installed at the same time. cuz if the cam was installed then ur claims of dynoing as much as the 2300 would be skewed.

My car was dyno'd and SAE corrected before and after every mod. Car dyno'd 321rwhp/332rwtq stock, and as referring to saying I made as much as the 2300, I was comparing my gains/overall power to cammed 2300 cars from large performance shops like Hennessey, LMR, MTI etc, the have dyno numbers and video's of all their shop cars, and looking at flywheel vs boost etc, the numbers are extremely similar. Understand, I have been told by a number of folks the numbers shouldn't be close at all, and this is what I'm referring to, they are very close.

also keep in mind that smaller supercharger is probably in its perfect efficiency range at 8 psi thus making same power as the 2300. i'm sure if the 2300 were to get a few more psi. the results would be huge cuz then it would be in its greatest efficiency point. thats going by the tvs performance maps, dont know what pulley size ur using.

Sure, but myself along with 80% or more of those folks buying a blower will never upgrade the shortblock to take advantage of the larger blower by pushing to insane boost levels, so why would you need the bigger blower??? The common answer is for future growth if I want to build the shortblock...and if you think you will do that, then sure, go bigger. I'm not knocking this point, add to the fact that if you are going to push 18+PSI, the Whipple would probably emerge as a superior unit based on size alone over the TVS 2300 unit. Size does matter....However, you have to spend the $$ on the shortblock, driveshaft, CV axles, tranny etc to be able to do this, its no longer slapping on a blower and calling it a day, without those upgrades, and a whipple at 18psi, you may not make it out of your driveway, before you break something...so your 7K blower, just turns into a 5K shortblock, 1200 tranny (auto), 1800 CV axle, and 800 driveshaft...7K is alot to spend for the blower, but now 14K....where does it end...now your 36K SS is 50K...its a BAD ride for sure, but now its 50K and you still don't have headers/exh, wheels/tires, suspension and any cosmetic upgrades. I'm sure folks will do it, but it will only be the fortunate few that have the $$ or shop cars that allow them to write off the expense.
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, it may come off that way or whatever, but consumers need to start pushing for this type of testing to be done. its done by independant testers in every other market. Look at the Auto industry, Car and Driver, Motortrend etc, Consumer Reports (test EVERYTHING), CNET (electronics), Phonescoop (phones) etc...why not performance parts? People, usually young guys, that really don't have the money to spend to begin with, spend lots of $$ based on marketing hype, how nice would it be to be able to purchase a part, and KNOW that you were getting your money's worth to begin with...I'm NOT referring to whipple with this, this is just IN GENERAL thoughout the performance parts industry.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #154
nfamous209

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, it may come off that way or whatever, but consumers need to start pushing for this type of testing to be done. its done by independant testers in every other market. Look at the Auto industry, Car and Driver, Motortrend etc, Consumer Reports (test EVERYTHING), CNET (electronics), Phonescoop (phones) etc...why not performance parts? People, usually young guys, that really don't have the money to spend to begin with, spend lots of $$ based on marketing hype, how nice would it be to be able to purchase a part, and KNOW that you were getting your money's worth to begin with...I'm NOT referring to whipple with this, this is just IN GENERAL thoughout the performance parts industry.
no ur not being a jerk. i just have questions, keeping the debate going u know , making it fun. ur numbers are extremly impressive no doubt about it. 200whp gain at 8 psi is bad ass. so is ur kit a modified g8 gt kit? different intake i'd assume. since the L77, i think thats whats in the g8 gt, is based of ls2. and the l99 based off ls3, so intake ports are different. very impressive.

as far as test units u got a point. completely forgot about that. who knows what they do.

this will be a good test. cant wait to see the results. i read a lil bit of the intake thread. read first several pages but it started getting annoying reading a certain someones posts, he keeps contradicting himself. i've known him on several different forums. thats why i stopped reading.