Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I've joined the crowd!

Well my car turned over 15,000 miles over the weekend and a couple weeks ago I noticed that rubber piece had started poking out again like it did a year ago.
I took it in a couple weeks ago and I am amazed at what the dealer has done. First they sent me to the top shop that does all their convertible top repairs. He examined my top, watched it go up and down a few times and took some measurements. He told me the top frame was skewed like it was bent. Not the 5th bow but the frame itself. He called the dealer and recommended the entire top and frame be replaced. I went back to the dealership and they said the area service rep would have to look at it first before anything could be done. I was remembering all the problems people on here have had getting anything replaced much less the entire top and frame. So I was preparing for a fight. Well I just got a call from my dealer, the area service rep Called and approved the replacement without even looking at the car. Needless to say I am shocked.
So now I am waiting for the new top and frame to come in....
Champion Chevrolet in Johnson City Tennessee are a great bunch to work with!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
If you wanted a different color would they do it? Or does Chevy just send them a replacement top from the factory or something?
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
69supersport396
Rick

Drives: 2012 IBM RS 'Vert
Hope it all goes well for you.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
If you wanted a different color would they do it? Or does Chevy just send them a replacement top from the factory or something?
I never asked about that, I was so in shock it went through that easily...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69supersport396 View Post
Hope it all goes well for you.
Thanks.

The only thing I had noticed was that little rubber piece poking out and a 1/2" gap between the side of the top and the car on the passengers side. No leaks squeaks or rattles...
If anyone else has that issue I say have it checked out.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Good luck chief!

Please verify they installer has done a few of these before. You don't want to be their first!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well my car turned over 15,000 miles over the weekend and a couple weeks ago I noticed that rubber piece had started poking out again like it did a year ago.
I took it in a couple weeks ago and I am amazed at what the dealer has done. First they sent me to the top shop that does all their convertible top repairs. He examined my top, watched it go up and down a few times and took some measurements. He told me the top frame was skewed like it was bent. Not the 5th bow but the frame itself. He called the dealer and recommended the entire top and frame be replaced. I went back to the dealership and they said the area service rep would have to look at it first before anything could be done. I was remembering all the problems people on here have had getting anything replaced much less the entire top and frame. So I was preparing for a fight. Well I just got a call from my dealer, the area service rep Called and approved the replacement without even looking at the car. Needless to say I am shocked.
So now I am waiting for the new top and frame to come in....
Champion Chevrolet in Johnson City Tennessee are a great bunch to work with!
Great!

That's a wonder to hear. Glad that everything is being taken care of for you. Let me know how everything goes.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Good luck chief!

Please verify they installer has done a few of these before. You don't want to be their first!
He has replaced the cloth tops before on new Camaros but not the frame. It's all supposed to come together and be a bolt in thing according to the dealer. The guy has been putting on convertible tops and frames for 35 years and has done it on everything from old 32 Fords to new Mercedes Benz. He seems to know his stuff. He reassured me that he would take his time and get it right.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
intensifi

Quote:
He has replaced the cloth tops before on new Camaros but not the frame. It's all supposed to come together and be a bolt in thing according to the dealer. The guy has been putting on convertible tops and frames for 35 years and has done it on everything from old 32 Fords to new Mercedes Benz. He seems to know his stuff. He reassured me that he would take his time and get it right.
From what I have heard from my top installer that approach should be easier. He said they used to come that way then Chevy went back to saying the mechanism is fine and only the top canvas needs replacing. The labor is supposedly much more for the canvas replacement so that mechanism must be quite expensive to justify the cost.

Please get pics and part #s of the kit contents.

Do you known if you have the 6 drain water bag? If not, this is the time to swap it. You can tell by removing the side panels in the trunk. If you see a drain tube, you have the 6 drain bag. If not, you should ask for it to be replaced at the same time.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
From what I have heard from my top installer that approach should be easier. He said they used to come that way then Chevy went back to saying the mechanism is fine and only the top canvas needs replacing. The labor is supposedly much more for the canvas replacement so that mechanism must be quite expensive to justify the cost.

Please get pics and part #s of the kit contents.

Do you known if you have the 6 drain water bag? If not, this is the time to swap it. You can tell by removing the side panels in the trunk. If you see a drain tube, you have the 6 drain bag. If not, you should ask for it to be replaced at the same time.

Good luck!
I will try, the top guy is pretty cool about everything.
I doubt I have the new bag, and I asked about it, they won't change it out unless they see a problem with mine. I haven't had any problems with water and I mentioned it to the top guy and he said he would inspect it and let them know if it needs changing.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
intensifi

Quote:
I will try, the top guy is pretty cool about everything.
I doubt I have the new bag, and I asked about it, they won't change it out unless they see a problem with mine. I haven't had any problems with water and I mentioned it to the top guy and he said he would inspect it and let them know if it needs changing.
Maybe they can order the new water bag and have it on standby if there is an issue with yours. I'd hate for you to be without your car for any additional time.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Maybe they can order the new water bag and have it on standby if there is an issue with yours. I'd hate for you to be without your car for any additional time.
I'll see if they will.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Same issue???

Quote:
I never asked about that, I was so in shock it went through that easily...

Thanks.

The only thing I had noticed was that little rubber piece poking out and a 1/2" gap between the side of the top and the car on the passengers side. No leaks squeaks or rattles...
If anyone else has that issue I say have it checked out.
I too had a little rubber piece sticking out on the drivers side towards the back. I brought it in and they fixed the rubber piece. I do notice that there is definitely a much larger gap on the passenger side than the drivers side. Guess I need to bring it in for that?

Last edited by layzurguy; 08-26-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
layzurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzurguy View Post
I too had a little rubber piece sticking out on the drivers side towards the back. I brought it in and they fixed the rubber piece. I do notice that there is definitely a much larger gap on the passenger side than the drivers side. Guess I need to bring it in for that?
Yep, that is what I had too, the 5th bow was fine, lower the top then look at the little bumpers that the frame rests against when the top is up, if it looks like one side is hitting farther over than the other then you probably have the same issue. If you have a good dealer they should be able to tell and do something about it. I thought mine was so minor that they would never agree for a complete replacement, but they did.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

In case you are wondering about the rubber piece and the gap here is a picture.
Attached Images