Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Open letter to all that had to fight GM on their Convertibles

Guys, I have to thank you. Because of all the problems you all have had and fought to get GM to fix I feel you all deserve a big thanks because it looks like GM is stepping up and fixing them now with no arguing or threats back and forth.
My small issue I figured all they would do is patch fix the weather strip again like last year but the top guy recommended a complete top and frame replacement because of a slightly bent frame. Then they said before we can do that the area service rep needs to look at it and approve the replacement. Well I was ready for a NO WAY! Then yesterday when I got a call from the dealer and they said the service rep said it was a known problem She didnt even need to look at it and agreed to replace the top and frame I about fell over. I mean the only thing I could see was that little piece of weather strip and a small 1/2" gap on the passengers side right behind the side window.
Thanks again for paving the way for the rest of us, you all did the suffering and now we are seeing the benefits of your fight!
Tim
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I am sure glad myself and a few others could help you out with all the problems we had. I can now say welcome to the club. I sure hope your installation goes smoothly. I have been saying it since my first 2012 top problems happened, replace the entire top and mechanism at the same time like they did on the 4th gens. Putting a new canvas on a used frame is like putting a thong on a cow. Just isn't going to work.
And since you are now a member of the club, how about stopping over and joining us at this group I started almost 2 years ago now.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I am sure glad myself and a few others could help you out with all the problems we had. I can now say welcome to the club. I sure hope your installation goes smoothly. I have been saying it since my first 2012 top problems happened, replace the entire top and mechanism at the same time like they did on the 4th gens. Putting a new canvas on a used frame is like putting a thong on a cow. Just isn't going to work.
And since you are now a member of the club, how about stopping over and joining us at this group I started almost 2 years ago now.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
Thanks, I don't know yet if its GM stepping up or my dealer going to bat for me. I guess if we see a few more getting treated the way I have been we can be assured its GM. Then again some dealers could still be asses and make excuses....
Like I said in my other thread I felt this was so minor a problem that nothing would come of the replacement. I mean I had none of the major problems most of you have had, no 5th bow problems, no excessive wear of the cloth top, no holes and no leaks/flooding...just some minor rub marks and wrinkles that would pretty much go away with washing and the rubber piece and the top pulling away from the passenger side a little. I still feel fortunate my problems were so minor.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
cactuseater

Drives: .
Been through hell and back with them. Unfortunately I had to sue them in court and WIN in order for GM to step up. As a result, no more headache and a full refund. At one time, I had FOUR 5th Gens AND a 2012 Cruze. No more....all have been replaced - that's how sick I am of the brand from the treatment and disrespect I was shown with the Camaro. Good luck on you car, I hope it all turns out ok.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Been through hell and back with them. Unfortunately I had to sue them in court and WIN in order for GM to step up. As a result, no more headache and a full refund. At one time, I had FOUR 5th Gens AND a 2012 Cruze. No more....all have been replaced - that's how sick I am of the brand from the treatment and disrespect I was shown with the Camaro. Good luck on you car, I hope it all turns out ok.
I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I hate it turned you against GM. I just hope this has taught them a lesson. I guess we will see.
Take care and enjoy.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
Glad to hear you are being treated right. I think the relationship the dealer has with GM has a lot to do with it. I was treated very well when I had trouble and it all worked out in the end.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
I will say when I had rub marks start to show and had a popping noise when I put the hood down, I went to the dealer expecting to at least argue my point a little, had printouts from threads on here everything.....it was almost disappointing when there was none of that...

It was literally....
dealer: What you need?
me: Ive got some rub marks and it makes popping noise when I lower it.
Dealer: looks at the two not very big rub marks for all of 2 seconds, then turns to me "so you want to leave it here now or schedule it to get the top and bow replaced?"
me: disarmed, all my carefully thought out arguments useless now...uh..uh..."I can leave it"
Dealer: well come on over and well get you set up in a loaner..........

kinda disappointing to get all worked up and nothing to let it out on

and Ill add my thanks to the ones that went before....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
I will say when I had rub marks start to show and had a popping noise when I put the hood down, I went to the dealer expecting to at least argue my point a little, had printouts from threads on here everything.....it was almost disappointing when there was none of that...

It was literally....
dealer: What you need?
me: Ive got some rub marks and it makes popping noise when I lower it.
Dealer: looks at the two not very big rub marks for all of 2 seconds, then turns to me "so you want to leave it here now or schedule it to get the top and bow replaced?"
me: disarmed, all my carefully thought out arguments useless now...uh..uh..."I can leave it"
Dealer: well come on over and well get you set up in a loaner..........

kinda disappointing to get all worked up and nothing to let it out on

and Ill add my thanks to the ones that went before....
Cool! We need more reports like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I still remember "tramtwo's" woes, it would have been comically funny if it wasn't so tragic. He took it better than most... Tram buddy, chime in, how the 1LE ?

I love my vert, first one, and if something does go wrong, this and other threads is documentation to our problems. I want nothing but my top to work, not leak and not look like a cat crapped it out after a low fiber diet, ha. I really want to think GM/Chevy are trying to do the right thing, I really, really do.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I still remember "tramtwo's" woes, it would have been comically funny if it wasn't so tragic. He took it better than most... Tram buddy, chime in, how the 1LE ?

I love my vert, first one, and if something does go wrong, this and other threads is documentation to our problems. I want nothing but my top to work, not leak and not look like a cat crapped it out after a low fiber diet, ha. I really want to think GM/Chevy are trying to do the right thing, I really, really do.

Thanks. The 1LE is the best car I have ever owned (not a paid endorsement)

I had a chance at the fest to speak at length with many on the Camaro team. The talks started with the 1LE and quickly went to my buyback story. A few things became clear to me as I am aware of a few tragic stories that did not end like mine in a MSRP to MSRP buyback.

First off these guys truly care, way beyond just pride in workmanship anyone who doesn't think so is wrong.

Lets just do it this way and you decide... here are direct quotes...

" We had to buy back a lot of the early 2011 cars, a lot!"

"The pressure to release the already delayed 5th Gen convertible was tremendous."

"The replacement vendor for the top was playing catch up working with a design they had almost no input on."

"The folding mechanism for this car is unique and very complicated as tops go... mainly to preserve and mimic the hard top lines as close as possible."

"We could have done a much better job of communicating and training our service partners."

" We simply are not in a position to replace vehicles for everyone who bitches about their car."

"After reading your thread it was obvious you were not exaggerating your problems OR the love for your SS Camaro Convertible. I just knew SOMETHING had to be done, our engineers agreed it would be impossible to make you whole given the amount of time the car took on water and the volumes. Although it (your case) was technically a dealer workmanship issue, we all agreed something should be done." (so grateful my story got heard I could not have done it without this site, the fb site, its members and those who were already in the trenches.... thank you )

I will add here that there were conversations that were had on my behalf in an attempt to put me back in the car I loved not another Camaro, but the car that I loved. I know you guys get it.

My longest conversation at the fest...was with an engineer and his wife who had driven down to the fest in a 1LE. I am sure we talked for over a half hour. And although these guys have to stop short a lot in conversations, not being able to speak freely as it were, there was/is no doubt in my mind that they really want every Camaro owner to feel as I do now about my 2013, it is the best car I have ever owned.

If I had any advice whatever, it is to not make it personal, to use the process. Document and share everything and only escalate as a last alternative.

I miss my 2011 so much, but I don't miss the ownership experience.

tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
And now I'll be stating the process with my 2012. Sheesh. My 2011 was bought back by gm because of top issues.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fools me twice. - shame on me. - lemon law expires in January for me on this 2012 and if I have to end up going that route again, I'm done.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Black/IO Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
And now I'll be stating the process with my 2012. Sheesh. My 2011 was bought back by gm because of top issues.
Fools me twice. - shame on me. - lemon law expires in January for me on this 2012 and if I have to end up going that route again, I'm done.
WOW, say it ain't so!!
AFCMSGTRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Great write up there Tram, glad to hear of your experience. Camaros and Corvettes aren't your "normal" car, I wanted mine since I was 9yrs old.

So we are a bit more passionate about them.

And for everyone, what Tram states is the God's truth: Don't personalize it, document everything, use the process and stay focused. As I have overly stated many times, I was a GM customer service manager, albeit an internship when I was doing my MBA. I bought back a Corvette and it made the local news in the guy's area, as it was "so unheard of". This was in Feb 2000. I still get e-mails from the guy at my house, ha.

Bottom line is that the guy went through the process and I spent a lot of time with him and the dealer and even an engineer down in Bowling Green, KY, home of the Vette factory. The engineer wanted the car back to find out what the issue was and that is what I used to justify the buyback.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Tell your story to whom ever will listen. Use the internets!! Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote