Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
allshotout

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro
Angry Pan Dropping Blues....

In the middle of a cam swap and have been working on dropping the pan for the last 3 hrs. I have every bolt loosened and the damn thing still won't come down far enough for me to get the pick up tube bolt out!! Any tips, tricks, etc??
allshotout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
remove all the bolts so you know its down and to dont pull the threads out trying to get it lower.. you need a ratcheting 10mm wrench. Not much room. if you have to get it lower you can remove the oil cooler lines. There a pain to get the clips back in. some coolant will be coming out of them so be prepared.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allshotout View Post
In the middle of a cam swap and have been working on dropping the pan for the last 3 hrs. I have every bolt loosened and the damn thing still won't come down far enough for me to get the pick up tube bolt out!! Any tips, tricks, etc??
Is the problem clearance for the pan, or is it crankshaft position?

Is it possible a crank counterweight is really the problem, and moving the crank to a new position will solve it?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
allshotout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Is the problem clearance for the pan, or is it crankshaft position?

Is it possible a crank counterweight is really the problem, and moving the crank to a new position will solve it?
Problem was clearance of the pan, but I got that worked out around 2am.

Now I'm stuck trying to get the oil pump off the pick up tube and off crank. I know supposed to rotate away from the tube when pulling off, yeah thats not doing it. That oil ring has a good seal for-sure.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
JCunningham

disassemble the oil pump. it will come off easier. I disassembled my pump to put it on. the pump bolts are 106inlbs. put some blue locktite on them. oil the internals when you put it back together.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 03-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
allshotout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
disassemble the oil pump. it will come off easier. I disassembled my pump to put it on. the pump bolts are 106inlbs. put some blue locktite on them. oil the internals when you put it back together.
Certainly seems like that would be easier.l
Old 03-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by allshotout View Post
Certainly seems like that would be easier.l
you will have plenty of room. just keep it clean and slop it with oil the more the better.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I have changed many oil pumps on the 5.3 LS motors and never had to drop the pan . Is the LS3 different ? I pull off the pump and leave the pickup in the pan , install a new rubber and button it up on a 5.3 iron block/ truck engine. that rubber gasket is the cause of low oil pressure most of the time . Most of the time the pump is still good ,but I always use a new Melling HV pump since im in there .
Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
allshotout

Quote:
you will have plenty of room. just keep it clean and slop it with oil the more the better.
Is there as certain way the gears line up in there? I see a dot on the outter ring but noting on inner or case to align up. Or do they just drop back in? Thanks for the help! In the shop in middle of cam swap.

Tim
Old 03-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
JCunningham

No just put it back the same way it came out
Old 03-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
I dropped the pan about a half in or so to get the oil pump out. Going back in I pryed it down about 5/8 to get the intake tube on. Also that gave me more clearance to work the far oil pump bolt. Can't remember but I think I completely removed the front half of the oil pump bolts to allow more room for it to drop. When installing the oil pump bolt (far one) you can reach your finger from each hand and get it. If the pan is down far enough it won't be bad. Those ratcheting end wrenches are great.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
allshotout

Dropped on of the comp cam retainers, and it went inside my life cylinder. Thought it went under the car, when I lifted the car to look for it, I heard it pop/crush. Think it would be a problem if I used one of my stock retainers?
Old 03-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
JCunningham

no get a hardened retainer. any speed shops in the area? what cylinder? did it fall inside the engine? if so you could run some cheap walmart oil down where it fell and leave the drain plug off. it might fall out. if it went in a spark plug hole then you have to get it out.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #14
allshotout

Quote:
no get a hardened retainer. any speed shops in the area? what cylinder? did it fall inside the engine? if so you could run some cheap walmart oil down where it fell and leave the drain plug off. it might fall out. if it went in a spark plug hole then you have to get it out.
No, I'm sure it fell down to ground.