Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
All of this is really good dialogue but has anybody asked why GM chose the LT4? From an engineering perspective why was the LT4 design chosen as a successor to the LSA/LS9? I understand the corvette conversation, but they could have taken a more serious approach to both the car and the engine because they never did seem to be a perfect match. The Corvette chassis doesn't really tolerate the LT4 at the limits, nor does the LT4 present a sufficient limit for the fabled corvette. I wanted the C7 to be a much more impressive performer than the C6. Not a little better, world's better. The comparison of the Gen 5/6 ZL1s are the kind of differences I expected. 200 lbs lighter, +80hp, +117 ft lb torque, .7 second difference is the best times or an average of .5 second difference in 1/4, and an almost 12 second gap on the ring. That's a significant difference. The LT4 for the Camaro is sufficient and wholly appropriate, but for the King of Corvettes the LT4 is quite the let down.
I think the Vette would have had overheating issues no matter what engine was dropped in it. I think the LT4 was designed the way it was to keep the costs down. I mean, looking at everything the ZL1 and Z06 does extremely well, there has to be costs cut. The 1.7 liter blower, even with revisions, was one of those ways to keep costs down if you ask me. KB was using those 1.7 blowers on the 96-04 2V GTs lol!! It is an inexpensive blower especially when people are opting for 2.3s. The entire engine with blower brand new is only $13K while the 13-14 GT500 engine with blower was $20K used...and the ZR1 engine was over $20K. I think the LT4 is a solid engine and even with the 1.7 I think it has tons of potential. But it is a very cost efficient/effective engine.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote