Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #253
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
Press the button and check with tech support through onstar

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #254
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I think he's already talked to OnStar...
Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #255
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

oh, the other guy got his working right?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #256
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
All the Bluetooth functions work in my car, but none of the OnStar features work since OnStar wont attempt to change my account/activate the new VCIM due to the red LED status. Overall, not a big problem as I then will not renew my account when the year is up. I think I am the only one with this problem of all that have changed their VCIM.
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #257
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
the vcim has the original vehicle vin number in it and wont work for onstar till a gm dealer re-programs the onstar module to your car with TIS and MDI unit
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #258
huskerwr38

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I seriously wish I would have just added this option in. This has been such a headache trying to till with this bluetooth module.
huskerwr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #259
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the vcim has the original vehicle vin number in it and wont work for onstar till a gm dealer re-programs the onstar module to your car with TIS and MDI unit
There's been a number of people that have successfully swapped modules and had OnStar move their account over to the "new" module. We still don't know why it won't work on his car though....but you may be on to something...
Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #260
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Drives: White 2010 Camaro SS
Post Doing the legwork, here is where I am so far.

I've been following this topic with great interest. I too wish I had gotten this feature from the very beginning but, I am forced to walk the long road to get bluetooth installed in my 2010 1SS Camaro. Here's my story and where I am today.

First, went with the dealer on how to get this feature installed after car was delivered. The dealer swore up and down that its IMPOSSIBLE to have bluetooth installed. I didnt believe this for a second and began looking on the interent for folks who actually did it.
After finding my way here, and becoming a member, it became clear to me that this is really just a matter of swapping out a module and then having the dealer flash the head unit with updated software. Sounds easy right? Well its not. The hard part is getting your hands on the OnStar Module (PN 20842731). I've seen them pop up on ebay from time to time, but I'm reluctlant to buy them since a used module has almost definitely been activated through OnStar already and will be near impossible to get them to not only deactivate the existing account but then have it associated with MY account.
So, I got on the phone with Chevy proper starting with their customer service department. That frustrating conversation with someone who has most likely never driven a 2010 Camaro let alone attempted to do any work on one led my issue to get escalated level after level until finally I got in touch with somone who would hear me out and understood that the modules COULD be replaced. Lesson here for those who are trying to get this feature installed. Do NOT take no for an answer! especially from some phone support goon who barely knows how to change the oil in his/her Honda Civic. Moving on...
I finally got Chevy to buy off on the fact that it can be done and we had a three way confrence call with the dealship I bought the car from. After speaking with the service manager and parts manager we all nodded our heads a few times and agreed the dealer will do the install.
I then visited the dealer and signed the work order to get this done. Days later I get a call from the dealer telling me that they cannot get the OnStar Module from their distributor stating that because my VIN doesnt match the VIN of a Camaro equipped with Bluetooth they will not sell them the module. Once again I see red and get the contact information from the distributor.
After speaking with the distributor (for about an hour) the reason they are reluctlant to sell the module to the dealer for a car without a matching VIN number is the liability of installing a part that could be incompatable and cause damage to other components in the car. The distributor is now contacting the manufacturer of the module (which is Contenental as we all should already know) to check if they can sell the module to me as it may be against some contract they have.
As for OnStar... now that I've read of folks having problems registering their Bluetooth Enabled OnStar Modules, I will stay away from the Ebay modules for that very reason.
I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of this road since the dealer is willing to do the work and I'm nearing the finish line with getting a new OnStar module sold to me.
When its all done I'll be sure to post the Name/Address of the dealership I had do the work as well as the distributor and manufacturer information for you guys to use when attempting this process. I'll with-hold that information for now until I get a successful outcome.

Craig
big-geek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #261
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Hey Big -Geek it sounds you and I are in the same holding pattern. As I have posted here I too have gotten the Dealer/GM/Onstar/continetal all on the phone in multiple calls and there is still the concern that the Bluetooth unit is not compatible, which, honestly is only partially true. Some of the features that work only by the steering wheel controls won't function without them. Continetal is evaluating these functions now as to if any damage can occur to the non bluetooth system. Again I got a date of a notice by mid month ???? They did tell me in a past call that ONSTAR programs the box remotely not the GM dealer. There is no VIN or car identification stored in the VCIM, the VCIM to vehicle identification is done in the ONSTAR computer system. ONSTAR will not update a unit in their system if a unit has a RED LED which indicates an error in the system.

The people I have talked too are being helpful but since so many different people are involved this will take time, it isn't a priority to any of them, but they are working this. Best thing to do is stay patient, be nice and keep pushing !

Glad to see others not giving up ! Although I did get a call about a unit from an SS I saw T-boned awhile back. I called back and waiting to see the outcome ?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #262
saabsonic

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
Driving my 2005 Toyota Sienna into San Francisco and back today I realized just how STUPID it is that we can't buy an upgraded OnStar module through GM to add this valuable SAFETY feature to our non-Bluetooth 2010 Camaros. Grrrrrrr! I'm keeping a close watch on this thread, and many thanks to Nutbutt and now big-geek! If CoStar had a working BlueStar replacement for our 2010s I'd go with that right now and just forget OnStar... but alas, they do not... Keep up the good work!
saabsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #263
huskerwr38

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
is anyone bidding on that bluetooth module on ebay? I emailed the seller and asked him if it was activated through onstar but haven't received any response.
huskerwr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #264
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Not me, not worth the $ for a used unit !
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #265
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

I got mine and installed it. The lady how I spoke with migrated my activation and gave me everything you would get if you bought a 2SS(directions and connections package) until Feb 2011. Pretty cool!!!!! And it works perfectly!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #266
saabsonic

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
Hi Gang.

I emailed CoStar was was amazed when Chris emailed back and said he was still waiting for a 2010 Camaro volunteer in the Long Island area so they could study it...

"Hi Mac,
I need to get my hands on a Camaro so I can figure out the communication
protocol. If you happen to be local to LI, let me know. I offer a free
unit to anyone who will let me sniff their car out.

Thanks,
-Chris"

Dang, can't someone on the East Coast work with these guys?
saabsonic is offline   Reply With Quote