Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Dealer vs factory stripes

I would like to get stripes on my Camaro when I purchase it. However.. I would like to know if I should get them done at the dealer or if I should order it straight from the factory.. What are the pros and cons for each and why?
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I don't think there are either.

Personaly, I'd tell the dealer to just give them to me and I'll put them on myself.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
the pros of gettin it done at the factory is that its a much better job and its done right away. Plus having your dealer do it takes longer cuz the dealer has to order the stripes which can take up to 2 weeks. The con of having it done by the factory is they have to drive it to a different place to have the stripes put on so your camaro comes with more miles on it.
AMPM1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
If you like the factory style then 150% for sure order the car with them!!! Letting the dealer do it is just another opportunity for them to screw it up! Too many stories of the dealers screwing them up.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Supercharged2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS - Supercharged
Mine stripes came in a tube in the trunk. took them to a really good body shop and had them put on.
Supercharged2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
it is cheaper to order from the factory with your car.if the dealer does it,it will cost in excess of $500.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
If you like the factory style then 150% for sure order the car with them!!! Letting the dealer do it is just another opportunity for them to screw it up! Too many stories of the dealers screwing them up.

OR the other option is to have them PAINTED on at a reputable shop.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
For what it is worth... Most of the 2010's with stripes had them put on at the Dealership... The factory was not set up for striping at the start... In Houston LoneStarChevrolet put the stripes on for all the per ordered 2010 Camaros through out Houston.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
For what it is worth... Most of the 2010's with stripes had them put on at the Dealership... The factory was not set up for striping at the start... In Houston LoneStarChevrolet put the stripes on for all the per ordered 2010 Camaros through out Houston.
This is only partly true.......for the frist half of the 2010 production year the only stripes put on at the farctor were White and Black.....the others were installed by the dealers, but there were so many complaints from costomers becasues of bad stripe jobs and long waits, GM started putting them all on at the factory. The striping facility is only 10 or so miles down the road from the factory.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Mine was the first in my area that came with factory installed stripes and they look great.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
STRIPE Package

I got my silver stripe package for $250 thru the dealer everything included. My dealer doesn't have a bodyshop. I went thru a graphic company they use and the girl did a amazing job on my camaro. They are not gm stripes but they are aftermarket metallic silver. I still love them because they have a nice glitter to them My suggestion would be to go to a graphic company and you will get a amazing job done.
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Actually, getting them done at the factory is NOT a guarantee it will be right. My stripes were factory installed and one of the only two "problems" I've noticed with my car was that the left stripe on the spoiler doesn't line up with the left stripe on the trunk lid. It's only off by a very little bit but as most of you know once you know there's a problem, no matter how tiny it really is, it's magnified in your own eyes.

Also, as for timeframe, it will take a little longer for your car to be built with factory stripes (maybe adds a day or 2 to the overall build time) but if you have them dealer installed the car can be delivered and you can drive it while waiting for the stripes to arrive, however in the end a measly two days won't be such a big deal. I tend to agree that factory installed is the way to go.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering the only other problem I noticed was the ceiling liner wasn't properly tucked in overhead light, but that was easily fixed.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
05gofast

Drives: Something Fast
Get them painted at a reputable shop. You will be much happier! The dealer I work at actually gives the customer the option of factory installed stripes or paint them on for the same price when you buy the car.
05gofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
we have installed several sets of stripes for numerous customers all have been please with no issues
most people that we have done stripes for have either chosen that they like the rally stripes better than the factory stripes or they have chosen to change the color of the stripes
here is an example of a car we did a while back

here are some more options that we have avaliable for the Camaro
if we can help you in anyway please feel free to ask away
http://www.bigwormgraphix.net/camaro.htm
bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote