Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
M6 2010 SS Exhaust ideas for the slightly-older guy

Watched a video where the installer mentioned the age of the driver as a cue to how much exhaust loudness is tolerated. Good point, I used to want "loudest possible" many years back, now. . . less so.

My stock muffler or something back there has developed a noxious vibration at low RPM/load, thinking of instead of spending $$$ to fix this too-quiet exhaust anyway, just hack the whole thing off.

I'm pushing 40, not into racing; but can't draw myself away from these cars. "I'm not picky about what I drive any more, as long as it has a 6 liter V8 and a 6-speed short-throw stick. . . "

I have a stock (except MGW shifter) 2010 SS. I've had a Borla-equipped LS1 Gen4 in the past.

I'm researching exhaust and people talking of "Drone" and extreme volumes.

I'd like to hear experiences of guys who are at a point where they can't make the car as much of a spectacle; and want driving comfort but a bit more sound. I change gears for fun not necessity, blipping the throttle and shifting gears around while double-clutching, that's where I'd really like to hear the engine (old days the loud open-Borla really aided in this; but I can't go *that* loud). I want to stay away from unpleasantness due to this "drone" when cruising - sounding like the world is coming to an end when punching the gas is fine though!.

I'm interested in others' perspectives on this. I want a cat-back, just hack the whole old system off and be sure of getting rid of the existing problem. Deep big pipe rumble is great and desireable, just no weird vibration. But ultimately, also, for the passengers, while the car is to sound tough, it can no longer be the ba**s-to-the-wall racer. . . .
Standard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
40 is not old, I speak from experience! After reading many exhaust related posts you may want to look into Corsa. I understand they have zero drone and are not overly aggressive. If I were starting my mods today, Corsa would be my choice.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
First off, you're scaring me, talking about hacking things off. The vibration my be something simple. I'm 52 and well past "loud." I was never into making noise to begin with. It was always about the performance of the car. The extra noise was just a byproduct of modification. The best way in my opinion, is headers/cats with stock exhaust. Still quiet with zero drone, but opens up nicely when you get into it. What happens to so many, is they buy cat back first...then later get headers....then complain its too loud and it drones. Good luck
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I'm 57 and love my Solo Mach-XL with J-pipes on the LS3. Ditched the MBRP dronemaster system for what I have now.

Rocks out WOT and zero drone & mellow at cruise.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
I'd get a Borla s-type or a Corsa system. Both have no drone and are as mild as stock when you're cruising, but open up and have an aggressive tone at WOT. Both pair well with headers if you end up going that route later on as well.

OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
You will get many opinions, but I would strongly recommend a Magnaflow Street series catback for your car.

Sounds great- more oomphf, but not too much and very mellow.

Afterwards if you decide you want a little more (sound and HP), add Solo's high flow cats- a bit bolder but still no drone and civilized (at least til you mash the GO pedal!

Both these systems simply bolt on- no cutting necessary and very well designed.

Be sure to check with Maryland Speed (443-730-9428) before you buy anywhere else, even if you don't see what you're looking for on their website (lots of specials always going on!).
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
First off, you're scaring me, talking about hacking things off. The vibration my be something simple. I'm 52 and well past "loud." I was never into making noise to begin with. It was always about the performance of the car. The extra noise was just a byproduct of modification. The best way in my opinion, is headers/cats with stock exhaust. Still quiet with zero drone, but opens up nicely when you get into it. What happens to so many, is they buy cat back first...then later get headers....then complain its too loud and it drones. Good luck
I hear you - I have the car in for other stuff at a mechanic and they say it's nothing external. It's a matter of burning time waiting around to spend money for the same thing I don't like anyway (stock muffler replacement) or spend a bit more and get something nicer. The time messing with this or being carless also has a cost.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
Pushing 40 LOL. Am over 50 and run a aggressive exhaust and love it LT header 3" X pipe with super series 10 flow master no cats on my auto. Bet it would sound great on a M6.
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
40 Here I have the Dual mode exhaust with mild to wild switch and I love it. In the normal position sounds good shuts up at highway speeds in the all open position sounds loader and mean but has drone and gets annoying after while close it to normal. Not sure that helps you I guess you could get a shop to do something similar or could put mechanical dump gates on it. not "street legal" to open them on public roads meant for 4x4's off roading.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
40 Here I have the Dual mode exhaust with mild to wild switch and I love it. In the normal position sounds good shuts up at highway speeds in the all open position sounds loader and mean but has drone and gets annoying after while close it to normal. Not sure that helps you I guess you could get a shop to do something similar or could put mechanical dump gates on it. not "street legal" to open them on public roads meant for 4x4's off roading.
Thanks I'll research that. I did like the configurability of the Borla on my LS1 car (closed it was quieter than stock, open would wake the dead). May be the key, especially when you can flick a switch for the bouts of fun instead of crawl under the car.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
If you hadn't mentioned 40, I would have thought 80 lol...Either way, I hope you find the tone and volume that you are looking for. Meeting up with a big group of Camaro owners always helps.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
This ^^^^^^^^

I too was not interested in loud, and I have a convertible. I did order NPP which gives the OE setup a little bit of roar. But I did want the power and the only way to make power from these engines is with headers. After a ton of research, I took the plunge for ARH LTs w/HFC into the OE catback. I got what I wanted. +43rwhp and a nice, adult, muscle car sound. The best piece of advice I found and followed was, "start with the headers and work your way back". I will never go back.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The Magnaflow street series is a little too quiet without headers IMO. If you plan to get headers one day, then I'd say that will be the ticket. If you never plan on adding headers, check out the Magnaflow comp series exhausts. Now don't let the name scare you off; they are actually still fairly mild, yet still very deep sounding with the stock manifolds.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
Youtube may be your best friend here.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote